Getting old batch files to work on Windows 10 for Civ 2

Konig15

Warlord
EDIT: I'm keeping the old conversation for reference, but if you find this you're looking for fixes for old Civilization 2 batch files. Well, here it is, courtesy of JPetroski.This works for errors saying that the files are incompatible with current version OR the batch loads but closes immediaely on opening.

You can fix these batch files by adding if "%OS%"=="Windows_NT" goto winxp underneath the "echoes:"

echo Please choose from the options below:
echo.
echo 1. Load Winter files 1941
echo 2. Load Summer files 1942
echo.

and then adding this:

:winxp
set /P choice=Type a number (1-3) and hit Enter:
if %choice%==1 goto Winter41
if %choice%==2 goto Summer42
if %choice%==3 goto Winter42
if %choice%==4 goto Summer43
if %choice%==5 goto Winter43
if %choice%==6 goto Summer44
if %choice%==7 goto Winter44
if %choice%==8 goto Summer45
if %choice%==9 goto Winter45
if %choice%==10 goto done
goto winxp

below the error levels:

if errorlevel 10 goto done
if errorlevel 9 goto Winter45
if errorlevel 8 goto Summer45
if errorlevel 7 goto Winter44

I TRIED to look this up elsewhere, nothing worked.

Now unlike most old batch files, Windows 10 executes them but closes the second it opens. Standard responses like putting CMD/ K at the end of the command line or opening the batch files from the Command Console didn't work. I read that would keep the batch file open, instead it immediately closed the command promt.

nd this is a little more tricky to set up than the usual setups so just doing it manually is gonna be tricky at best. And I searched this in Civ Fanatics and In Nomine only appears once in the entire site and it refers to the EU 3 DLC. searches on batch only produces suggestions that do not work on my computer.

Last edited:
I believe I fixed a batch file for you a few months ago? Maybe I'm misremembering and it was for someone else. In any event, go download my latest Germanicus ToTPP scenario, right click on the batch file, edit in notepad, and then right click on In Nominee's and make it look similar.

Edit... I looked it up. It was for you. Scroll down and find your thread on Fortress Europe for instructions.

Actually this is a new problem. The files RUN, they just close instantly before I can make a selection. Last time it wouldn't run at all because it was too old.

Son of biscut, no. And it worked.

Actually, to save all you guys future headaches, you want me to more or less create a thread on fixing old batch files, copy your fix post, credit you of course and make it so other n00bs can find it easy with a search?

EDIT: After all, I'm SO technically ignorant I'm a model of total ignorance

I mean if you can't find it in a search, it couldn't hurt, but you might just rename this thread now that it's here.

Top Bottom