Getting Started

Love the mod, with it installed only one thing still annoys me. Workers stop their task when enemy is near. How about option to turn this off? It was done in Light touch but that mod is mod compatable with Unofficial Patch.

Could you post a link to that mod so I can take a look? :)

If you implement this, can you make it optional? I've saved literally dozens of workers from certain barbarian death because they stopped work and let me move them to safety when they spotted an enemy.

If you implement this, can you make it optional? I've saved literally dozens of workers from certain barbarian death because they stopped work and let me move them to safety when they spotted an enemy.

+1

I'm certainly not interested in having this hardcoded in VEM.

\Skodkim

If there was any way to code "Only become afraid when an enemy is within 2 tiles" I would love it!

I certainly want my workers to stop work when they spot a barbarian nearby but I hate it that when a war is going on 5 tiles away across a mountain range I have to reissue orders constantly.

I tried out Light Touch and ended up not using it - the ideas seem great but I didn't find that it worked out well in execution.

If there was any way to code "Only become afraid when an enemy is within 2 tiles" I would love it!

I certainly want my workers to stop work when they spot a barbarian nearby but I hate it that when a war is going on 5 tiles away across a mountain range I have to reissue orders constantly.

I tried out Light Touch and ended up not using it - the ideas seem great but I didn't find that it worked out well in execution.

+1 on all points.:)

I've looked over that mod's features, some of which look great for anyone. I really like the long distance aircraft rebasing capability. It also makes sense for automated workers to prioritize repairs/resources.

Some features reduce micro for certain tasks, but increase it for other tasks. The worker topic is a good example. We don't need to re-issue orders when enemies aren't a threat, but we do need to interrupt the worker when enemies are a threat. An in-game toggle would probably give us the best of both worlds. In the early game we can have workers stop their efforts whenever an enemy appears nearby (likely a barbarian). Later on we can make them continue working, when the chance of being unprotected against a threat is low.

The best solution might be for me to find a way to make it compatible with CiVUP.

Yeah, the interrupt is already based on the movement speed of the enemy. Workers interrupt within 2 tiles for enemies with 2:c5moves:, 4 tiles for 4:c5moves:, etc.

Was this changed in VEM? I know for sure in vanilla that I have to reassign workers when enemies with 2 movement are 4 tiles away and over a mountain range. I did like the long distance rebase for aircraft but I don't find the worker priority thing to be a factor; automated workers do prioritize repairs and hooking up resources. They aren't quite as efficient as a human would be but they do get to those things before constructing more random improvements. I always end up doing manual workers for most of the game and eventually going for automation when I get to Industrial or so because they eventually become too tiresome when there are so many and they are only slamming down TP/Villages on puppets anyhow.

If anyone's interested, quill18 has just started a YouTube LP with VEM (I think with v131), playing a King game with Polynesia on Archipelago!:D Here's the first episode:

Link to video.

He's entertaining and one of my favorite LPers on youtube.

I realize now it was a little vague, but what I meant is a shift from early to late. Early game is slightly lower, and midgame is higher (Militarism moved to the Renaissance from Industrial).

Barracks are very powerful for a conqueror like myself because our units can immediately start with +20% strength. It gives the edge needed for initiating warfare. I like this style of play myself, and wanted to make it more challenging. The change is small because we still begin with the +20% bonus. It just takes an extra 1-2 battles to reach the second promotion.

Thinking about this, perhaps if the Barracks had a unit production modifier like the Blast Furnace it would be a more worthwhile investment in the early game.

Does the AI build barracks, or are they dependent on free XP or XP/era for their out-of-the-gate promotions?

Also, is the abandonment of harbors/seaports from naval XP to allow captured cities to retain them, to encourage the AI to build them, or what?

Thinking about this, perhaps if the Barracks had a unit production modifier like the Blast Furnace it would be a more worthwhile investment in the early game.

What if the supply cap was much much harsher in the core game, and barracks added to it. In other words, they actually act like barracks:)

I like the idea of the barracks increasing supply cap, but cant speak for if the AI could handle it although they could be scripted to favor it for gold buying if they approach the unit cap. I think Thal had the scripting for something like that in the AI gold spending thingy.

As far as peaceful players being defenseless I dont think this would be the case. From my experience it takes far less units to defend than to attack which would encourage barracks use with warring civs and not really screw peaceful players. Also if your attacking on multiple fronts you will need much more units than just defending your own cities, even if from multiple fronts.

Back
Top Bottom