Gifting units

marceagleye

Underground Economist
Anyone know the requirements for gifting units to a friendly neighbor. I overbuilt work boats and have one extra Im trying to give to Louis XIV. Red print says Louis XIV won't accept. The year is 1700. Noble level. Yet he is freindly. I'm Rome. We're both Hindu. We have open borders. How do I get Louis XIV to accept work boat as gift?

Thanks.

Well if he won't he won't. Just delete the unit if you don't want it anymore.

So what?? nobody knows, huh? Nice try abuaftab. Not good enough, though. There has to be a reason, and if the reason is it's all random and you have no way of knowing if a rival will accept your gift unless or until you try to give a gift, that's fine. Please say so, then. But I still believe it's something else. Can someone explain please? Thanks.

flamingzaroc121 said:
how happy is he with, i think he has to be Freindly with you
marceagleye said:
Anyone know the requirements for gifting units to a friendly neighbor... Yet he is freindly...
:p :p

Marceagle.

I wasn't trying to be smart or rude. Sorry. Just pragmatic. I have found that they won't take it if they don't need it or can't use it. Whenever I have donated workers, they take them. Perhaps he can't use a workboat? I have donated missionaries and they don't use them. Perhaps the unit is useless and won't take it.

Thanks for a better explanation. However, he can indeed use plenty work boats. The one I'm trying to give him is on his tile with uncaught fish. He also has crabs and clams that have yet to be caught. My strategy is to keep Louis XIV friendly should I need a military ally down the line. And if and when that happens, he needs to be ready to accept more gifts, in case his army isn't quite up to par.

AI is far too AI, the computer probably thinks it is a useless unit. Try gifting something else and see if it is still red. The red usually happens when the computer simply disagrees with your sensible logic.

I suppose you're right. Probably just another ****** AI program protocol. AI still improved over Civ3, though.

I tried gifting a city I captured to a neutral country and I could not. I thought this was a not uncommon part of strategy.

They may not want to add any more units to their support costs.

I've noticed when a Civ is getting their butt kicked in a war, they have no problem with taking my gift troops.

Phh, doesn't need it...
I bribed Rome into war with Huyana Capac to keep them busy while I was going for cultural. As Capac was much bigger I wanted to help Augustus by gifting hin Infantry (he was behind in tech), he accepted one unit but then didn't want any more...
Unit cost ?
Take the damn Infantry and disband one of your stupid Longbowmen ! Sheesh...

GoodSarmatian you hit the nail on the head. The bad thing about AI is they can't improvise. What's the most Louie would possibly have to pay for maintenance? One gold for one turn? He can build fishing boat immediately after accepting work boat gift...no movement involved...no holding work boat till the next turn. He probably would have no maintenance cost at all. Unless fishing NETS cost maintenance, but I don't think so. It's ridiculous. Why be content with a couple slices of bread when you can have a whole loaf?

Even if a work boat is alredy in his city's build cue, it shouldn't matter because he has lots of fish, mollusks and crustaceans to go catch.

I suppose I'll just end up deleting the damn work boat. What a waste. Louie you're a good friend but you're an idiot.

Top Bottom