Give me 18, but not on Earth - new PBEM

Best explorer in the game... never obsoletes... can build from the off...

Well it can't get XP either, which is a bonus. You can pop huts and run away most of the time as well.

EDIT: And captured workers turn into fast workers too ;)

I guess those are side benefits, I never thought of using a fast worker for scouting haha...

I also think the civving community overrates workers to begin with... 1.5 workers per city? thats a bit much. 1 per city is fine and sometimes I will go less! No need to do anything to tiles you can't work anyway!

but then again, I'm no expert either :p

rd13 - you are in. can you give me any info as to where you are and times you can play regularly for the purposes of getting the player order set up? Thanks!

I agree with bathsheba666 with game expectations. I am GMT-5 and play anytime but best in the early am 5AM-10AM. I play Noble 1-1 because I can win there. I can also win at Monarch but Noble doesn't require deep thought. PBEM is more fun, real people, so I don't play 1-1 very often...I read. I'm fine with random civ and leader.
As stated earlier; Yes, though maybe I wasn't clear that I do wish to play.:)
Thank you

Sorry about that chasbolt, I completely missed your post! Yes, you are in! I'll PM you the PBEMtracker details...

Michkov - you are in. Any specific times that work best for you or really anytime? Our goal is 1 turn every 2 days, and even thats probably a stretch...

Also, general idea of skill level?

Re: Skill level I´m able to beat AIs at Noble most times and on the next level up I'm 50/50.

I tend to check my mail each day around 1900CET, but I´ll have my mail client running all the time. So I take my turn as soon as I see the save. Also I´m up all night most of the time

Thanks Michkov, your info is updated. I see you are in PBEMtracker too, thanks for that!

Only 5 more people needed! We are almost there!

I've posted about this game at 2 civ sites, one in particular the "C3PBEML-List : Civilization PBEM League" a long standing ladder group with many many extraordinary players

I see much activity here so far, thats a great sign, I see some concerns with the game not finishing but this is common. I know from experience that very few games of this caliber are attempted and those that signed on to them were dissapointed, but this has been over the entire timeframe Ci4 has been out and currently we have many more players that have stood the test of time. I say we have a better chance today than ever before.

But you have to ask yourself these questions;
1)Am I patient enough,
2)Because it is what it is, you must look at this as playing this so the others can too, if I quit or feel it has become less important over time, this translates to hurting the rest of the players who have made the same commiment to YOU. Play this for the GAME and the PLAYERS rather than for yourself.
3)Can I find an Alternate player for myself? Many players wouldn't commit to this kind of game but would be willing to cover the 1 or 2 turns that could be played while you are on Holiday.
4)I have 3 great ideas that could dramatically help this game survive! I've not seen any of them done yet, If your interested in hearing them quote this line and I'll PM you and I'll explain while I just didn't state them here
:)

I'm interested in joining, as this really seems to get off the ground.

One essential thing is: I really think the map needs to be designed.
In the game "Chi " we also play on a huge map with 18 players (although 10 AI's), but frankly I think the map is a bad one, and for me it really kills a lot of the fun to be had.

(and in my opinion it says something that I am saying this about Chi, while I am leading the charts..)

And as I said before I am also willing to design it, and not play.
Or we could randomize the position someone gets in the game

(we did that before with a "double blind" procedure > one person makes a player order, a second a civ order, and a third combines them).

Play level: Well I guess I am in the Ozzy/Batsheeba and Paradigm category so that would be tier-1.

Well, a designed map needs a mapmaker. If we don't want a completely mirrored map, someone will still get better and some worse locations, which leads to people feeling cheated by the mapmaker.

How about just check the map so no one starts surrounded by tundra or something like that? The beauty of this game is that no one has the same conditions, but has to use what he got to achieve whatever he thinks is best.

I'm not sure what you mean by the double blind procedure, isn't the position you get in game always randomized?

Edit. I guess it's different with an advanced start? I never tried that, will check it out when I get home.

But you have to ask yourself these questions;
1)Am I patient enough,
2)Because it is what it is, you must look at this as playing this so the others can too, if I quit or feel it has become less important over time, this translates to hurting the rest of the players who have made the same commiment to YOU. Play this for the GAME and the PLAYERS rather than for yourself.
3)Can I find an Alternate player for myself? Many players wouldn't commit to this kind of game but would be willing to cover the 1 or 2 turns that could be played while you are on Holiday.
4)I have 3 great ideas that could dramatically help this game survive! I've not seen any of them done yet, If your interested in hearing them quote this line and I'll PM you and I'll explain while I just didn't state them here
:)

Eclipse, this is an absolutely great post. I 100% agree with you on this. Personally, I fully expect to be one of the worst civ's in the game and am doing this purely for entertainment purposes. To me civ is about the journey, not the result. Sure getting that victory screen is nice, but even if I don't win, if I can "stand the test of time" and be alive at the end, I consider that a moral victory for me! The point of this game is entertainment for all of us, an alternate universe type of setting. The commitment needs to be there for all the rest of the players and the game in general, which I think we have.

That being said, I fully expect we will have at least 2-4 drops before AD even hits, with no replacements. But if we can make it to 1AD with 14 humans still remaining and 4 AI's, I will also consider that a win!

Eclipse - please please please PM me your 3 ideas!!! Even if we don't use them I'm curious to hear!

bjarkekr you are in, PM sent with PBEMtracker info.

I'm interested in joining, as this really seems to get off the ground.

One essential thing is: I really think the map needs to be designed.
In the game "Chi " we also play on a huge map with 18 players (although 10 AI's), but frankly I think the map is a bad one, and for me it really kills a lot of the fun to be had.

(and in my opinion it says something that I am saying this about Chi, while I am leading the charts..)

And as I said before I am also willing to design it, and not play.
Or we could randomize the position someone gets in the game

(we did that before with a "double blind" procedure > one person makes a player order, a second a civ order, and a third combines them).

Play level: Well I guess I am in the Ozzy/Batsheeba and Paradigm category so that would be tier-1.

I am not experienced at all when it comes to whether a game like this needs a mapmaker. The games I play have been max 3 humans, huge map, 15 AI... we generally let the gods decide where we end up and deal with it. Personally, I enjoy the randomness of it all, although I'm sure a veteran mapmaker like yourself would be able to make some truly epic/historic maps.

'I will leave this decision to the people' (In my best Stalin voice)... I have no problem with a random map or with Calanthian making the map. However, I can see how that would be a conflict of interest if he made the map and played in the game, thats a huge advantage. The only way I'd allow that is if he promised on his good word to give himself some sort of disadvantage to fight through to make up for the advantage of knowing the map.

If you do make the map though, my only request is this: Please DO NOT make this a 100% balanced mirror map in any way shape or form. Part of the spirit of what I'm going for with this game is unbalanced, different issues for each civ to deal with that aren't the same, and seeing how it plays out in the world view. I would say that the more veteran players should be given tougher starts, the lower level players given "nice" (but not incredible) starts, and generally give everyone some positives and negatives to deal with. Not everyone should get horses, not everyone should get stone or marble or whatnot. Some of the best games I've played are when I get stuck with no stone, no marble, no horses and have to survive with just copper and a bunch of spices.

Also, part of the reason I love the Techtonics map is that it creates some truly random maps... its never even remotely the same (like Terra or Continents, which have the same basic feel)... I love the long mountain chains acting as a natural border, sometimes there are more islands and continents than others, large swaths of desert... if you can keep that feel while making it fair and reasonable for all considering the differences in levels, that would be ideal.

Let's leave this up for debate here while we try to fill out the last 4 spots. I would feel bad leaving anyone out for this game, so my preference is that Calanthian plays!

If we don't want a completely mirrored map, someone will still get better and some worse locations, which leads to people feeling cheated by the mapmaker.

Just to respond to this line really quick - the goal is that yes, it will be unbalanced and some people will "get screwed" by the mapmaker, whether its generated randomly or Calanthian purposely screws you. :lol:

Thats part of the point of this game, I guess the huge positive to Calanthian making the map is that we can make it more "fair" in that we can be sure the people being screwed will be the more advanced players, which is my preference as a sort of handicap. Although it doesnt seem like anyone here is below Noble, which means we all have to be good enough to try to overcome a bad start, right?

I would hope there is some sort of competitive fire in all of you that would revel in the challenge of a bad start and not just whine about it!

That's what I meant, if we go with a randomly generated map there will be no one to "blame". If we on the other hand has a mapmaker trying to balance things or make starts into some kind of handicap system there will always be players who don't think the mapmaker gave them a fair position.

For example, if I play a randomly generated map I wont blame anyone for giving me a start without horses or metal anywhere near. If there is a mapmaker trying to balance things I will probably wonder what the mapmaker was thinking giving me this and my neighbor that.

I prefer playing on a random map mostly because I don't want someone giving me a scenario or a challenge he think would be fun to play, or give me a push in any direction.

If we want some kind of handicap, I think the best way is to give certain leaders to the players.

Top Bottom