Given up on huge maps

Skulbow

The Lonely Cyclist
I have wanted to play a big game of Civ V with maximum opponents, city states and biggest map but after awhile the game turns just start to get toooo long. I have an I7 with 16GB ram and a GTX 660 2GB Ram.

What actual specs are required to get a big game going where you don't have to wait for loong times between turns.

I haven't timed the turns but they just seem too long for a smooth game. Maybe close to 20/30 secs in waiting.

I have wanted to play a big game of Civ V with maximum opponents, city states and biggest map but after awhile the game turns just start to get toooo long. I have an I7 with 16GB ram and a GTX 660 2GB Ram.

What actual specs are required to get a big game going where you don't have to wait for loong times between turns.

I haven't timed the turns but they just seem too long for a smooth game. Maybe close to 20/30 secs in waiting.

I love the huge maps as well, and while I've completed one for my current challenge, I don't see myself going back any further in [civ5] -- as you've said, it just takes too long.

I don't have anywhere near the specs as you do, so I was lagging 45s or longer in the endgame. It hurts immersion, but I'm not really sure what more they can do other than having the CPU's turn play out instantly (but people would miss a lot.)

I have to do one Large map for VVV but other than that, I'm a standard/standard player from here on out. :)

Turn time is due to AI loops. Sadly this uses only one CPU core doing them 1 by 1. And the most taxing is the whole unit movement part for each units. This gets very taxing when there are a lot of units on a big map.

Also make sure you have quick movement/attack on so that you don't lose further time due to animations.

Yea I'm actually thinking about overclocking my processor just for civ. I can barely finish games anymore when I'm getting a routine slowish science victory. Those last 20 turns take forever.

This might just be a rumor but I heard of players turning on strategic view before clicking next turn and it improving between-turn times. Might be something to try at least. My computer is very similar, i7, 16 GB RAM mac. I also have long times but usually no more then 45 seconds even end-game. I checked stats and it is because civ refuses to use all the cores on the mac computer. I had thought maybe I could improve this by allocating more cores to the program but if Acken is right the unit movement (which is causing the lag) can't be improved since it won't run in more then 1 core. That's a shame. With most processors these days having 4 or more cores they should really put better parallelization in Civ 6 and improve the lagginess of movement calculations.

First of all, i7 won't have any impact on gaming. Might as well go i5, since i7 hyperthreading isn't supported by pretty much any games. i7's are for video rendering, that kinda stuff. It's completely unnecessary for games. I went from i7 to i5 4670k, and it was an upgrade for gaming.

Second of all, there's basically no benefit to be gained for gaming beyond 8gb of ram. 16 has marginal to no returns for gaming.

So, now that we're at that, do what everyone else here says - turn on quick movement/quick combat and you'll see your turn times drop considerably. The problem comes from the AI moving all it's units in the fog of war, airplanes especially can slow this down a ton. My quality of life on this game improved a thousand fold once I finally bit the bullet and turned off the animations. Turn times are 10-15 seconds tops now. Maybe more if I'm at war with the entire world.

it's really funny to me to see people complain about 30 second turn times when i have to play in strategic view most of the time and turns past t250 can easily take one or two full minutes to roll over. i've actually had longer transition time in some extreme cases where it'd take a turn three minutes to roll over on a standard map. i was warred by poland with 60+ cities and infinite units playing acken deity. i still played the game out, you just need a little patience :lol:

Thanks for replies.... I have some animations off but not all so will try that.... no one mentioned if a better video card makes a difference. I was thinking of upgrading to a GTX 960 or there abouts...would that speed up turns?
I do have a solid state drive but I don't install games on that.

No. If your game is already smooth in FPS then a video card upgrade won't have an effect on in-between turn time.

The turn time is 100% due to AI computations and none of it is done by a video card. It's all CPU.

Also 20 to 30 seconds is NORMAL (depending on what turn (later turns are slower), # of AI, and whether or not movement animations are on).

I did experiment with the strategic view in my Huge/Marathon win for VVV, and while it shouldn't help, it definitely did.

To be fair, I wasn't using quick movement/combat, so Acken could totally be right that if you are already playing with those options then it won't make a difference.

The effect of strategic view IS to disable those movements.

Also to be fair strategic view is less taxing in graphics so technically if your computer is already slow because of the graphics of civ5 then yes you may see a difference I guess.

For those that want to keep movements and combats during their own turn but want them disabled during AI turns, use the quick turns mod it lets you customized what you want speeded up.

The other thing to mention is maybe you need more wars. If the map is overloaded with units that will slow things down. Build a fleet of subs and take out the trash

For those that want to keep movements and combats during their own turn but want them disabled during AI turns, use the quick turns mod it lets you customized what you want speeded up.

For what it's worth, I would want exactly the opposite. During my turn, I know what's going on, but when I lose a few units during the AI turn, I want to know wtf happened.

of course that doesn't help with turn times, so excuse my derailing of the thread.

Top Bottom