Gold deterrent

kkapalk

Warlord
Hi guys. I have a couple of questions for you.
If I have little or no army compared to other civs, but a mountain of gold in reserve (and so I am able to buy an army instantly in case of war), would the cash reserve deter other civs from attacking me even though my army is small?
Also, if I only have domination victory enabled does this make other civs more likely to attack me?
Thanks, Kev

Your military score does affect the likelihood of being declared war upon. Exceptionally bold leaders may declare war even when their military isn't on par with yours, but still, a good military will deter the AI in general.
If your military score is immensely better compared to an AI, they may get afraid of you.

And yes, with only domination enabled, that'll be every AI's victory condition strategy.

AI's DoW behavior is governed by two primary factors: military strength comparison and "economic" strength comparison. The former is the comparison of total army melee strengths (which isn't necessarily correct before Industrial), the latter is a comparison of total gold per turn and production per turn. Hoarding gold in the treasury is not a war deterrent, but having a high gold income is.
Note that the AI does not consider tech advantages: if you have the same production as them and have a huge tech lead but they have a larger standing army, they will not realize that the units you would produce with your hammers would actually be stronger than the units they could produce with their hammers.

Top Bottom