Goldenhorde Research Department

mike6426

Singularitarian
Please use this area to discuss technology and research routes. I need to know what play style we are planning to do in order to create a preliminary research path.

Welcome mike6426, thanks for getting this thread up in a timely manner.

I'm thinking a very blanced approach may be the best way to start. It may be a little early to key on a dominant area. I do know we are all pretty tired of carrying everything on our backs, so maybe inventing the wheel would be good idea. I'm going to be busy perfecting wine and other libations, so my research may tend to be different from yours. But if I can be of more assistance, please let me know.

Since we have Mining as a prerequisite I suggest BW along with building a worker first. With the heavy forest in our BFC we can chop another worker and then chop out a settler ASAP.

The problem with BW is the amount of research needed. BW, when compared to Agriculture, is x2 more expensive. I feel that we need to create at least a small economy, so a Agri->BW->Pot (We need the wheel somewhere in there for connecting resources, likely at the end) could work well.
We get a worker (build a mine if we have time to spare) and agri, build a farm on the wheat (hopefully Babylograd popped by then so we can build other stuff before BW), get BW, slash-and-burn the forest, get Pot, build a few cottages (maybe on the river so Financial gets a boost).

Let's see how long it will take when settled before we choose.

What are the benifits of BW over Agri? Is Bronze Working just a gateway to something else?

And how will Mysticism fit into the scheme of things?

What are the benifits of BW over Agri?
BW will allow us to chop forest for hammers and adopt the slavery civic allowing us to sacrifice citizens for hammers. The main reasoning behind BW first is usually to chop another worker then a settler for early expansion. Usually to grab a copper resource revealed by the BW tech and establish your first production city. Under the right circumstances this could also lead to an early Axe rush on a vulnerable neighbor. I woudn't call this a benefit over Agri, just a strategy to consider. Agri will allow us to build farms and increase population while building workers and settlers pauses the cities growth.

Is Bronze Working just a gateway to something else?

Yes IW (Iron Working). However it is expensive and other techs will be needed before researching it IMO.

And how will Mysticism fit into the scheme of things?
An early religion is not likely but we should consider it if we want to chop Stonehenge giving us a free Monument in every city (+1 culture).

Babylograd has been founded and we can gain 1 commerce towards research by building a worker first. This would give us BW in 24 turns and a worker in around 23. Agri will take 14 turns (if I remember right) or 16 if we build a scout and work the food tile as opposed to working the hammer and commerce tile. Screenies are here.

So we have two very different strategies before us and our research path is at the moment somewhat linked to our build queue. I'd like to see a little more discussion on the issue and a recommendation by Mike before the Friday night TC.

It's true that this depends an our build queue to a degree, but I feel that it's separate enough to be it's own discussion. With building a worker, both techs work, it just depends on which one we feel is more important now. If we are building a scout first, both techs can be researched around the time a worker is made so it doesn't really matter which one is first.

I disagree, if we choose to build a worker the timeline is in sync with BW (within two turns). It would make much more since to go Agri-BW if we decide to build a Scout first. If you decide Agri I will build a Scout, if you decide on BW I will go with a Worker. From there we can decide to go with a Worker/Settler build Queue or set our sites on an early Wonder.

I would definitely get behind an effort for an early Wonder. And we need to eat before we start digging hard shiny stuff out of a mountain. I vote we produce a Scout to tell us what lies in the distance.

I'm going to go with Agriculture then.

Thats good to have copper not too far away. I suggest we study agriculture now so we can farm the flood plains and wheat.

I agree Agri should be next and then Wheel for roads to start connecting our resources (ie the copper in city 2).

Top Bottom