Good times with civ5

Matte979

Jedi Master
After playing a couple of game starts spending a number of hours on each. I have some suggestion on how to make the game more interesting/fun.

1. Maps seem to large for the number of civs that are setup default go to advanced and add both some more civs and city states (Makes a better game)

2. Raging Barbarians are a must (The Barbarians are just pointless without this setting)

3. King is the minimum difficulty, if you played CIV before go for Emperor, it affects number of cities they have with greatly affects their power.

4. AI is sometimes slow to expand in the start (they seem to be to aggressive and spend their time creating units) so make your own pact to not attack any AI players cities or workers / Settlers until after turn 100 (Epic Speed).

Optional

Puppeting seem way to powerful, if you can dont do it.

Yes, I started on a Prince level as an introduction (my usual was Monarch in Civ 4) at it is way to easy.

Maps are too big, but maybe we are just used to our culture covering every square?

After playing a couple of game starts spending a number of hours on each. I have some suggestion on how to make the game more interesting/fun.

1. Maps seem to large for the number of civs that are setup default go to advanced and add both some more civs and city states (Makes a better game)

2. Raging Barbarians are a must (The Barbarians are just pointless without this setting)

3. King is the minimum difficulty, if you played CIV before go for Emperor, it affects number of cities they have with greatly affects their power.

4. AI is sometimes slow to expand in the start (they seem to be to aggressive and spend their time creating units) so make your own pact to not attack any AI players cities or workers / Settlers until after turn 100 (Epic Speed).

Optional

Puppeting seem way to powerful, if you can dont do it.

thanks matt, going to be playing my first game in 20min :D originally i was going to play at prince or even warlord but after playing the demo many times it does seem very easy
what do u mean by puppeting?

Some additional points from todays LONG session.

I have not fought the AI directly or taken any of their cities and its about 650AD. I have fought some wars to protect city states. The game is really starting to take form and the AI has formidable armies and many cities. This is on King and Large map, I still have one AI stuck with one city so my first statement stand you need to add more AIs as some will just never grow and will just be like city states.

Some more pointers to enjoy the game.

1. Dont be to aggressive in the first part of the game let the AI get a foot hold. Big wars should wait until medival time starts, before that dont go on a conquest spree.

2. Manually evaluate workers on tiles based on what you need, DO NOT TRUST THE AI. it goes for only food which bascially suck in civ5 as tiles with 2 food is a waste of happiness in CIV5, you need production and hills and gold. The current food above all AI will make it less fun to play, as you wont be able to build any buildings or have any money. Micromanage is key to success in the early game. :)

3. Dont build to many units they will drain your possibility to use money.

The game seem to be most fun for the builder types, which is ironic as everybody think its a war game.

Even on Emperor I find myself crowning a civ early without them being able to fight back. And all I'm using are warriors!

They should hard code in the AI "Put an archer or siege engine into every city". That alone will make it a lot harder to just blow through them.

2. Manually evaluate workers on tiles based on what you need, DO NOT TRUST THE AI. it goes for only food which bascially suck in civ5 as tiles with 2 food is a waste of happiness in CIV5, you need production and hills and gold. The current food above all AI will make it less fun to play, as you wont be able to build any buildings or have any money. Micromanage is key to success in the early game. :)

Food = Science.

That is really important to remember in this game. So even a 2 food tile will turn into science eventually.

Top Bottom