Got my first Deity Victory today, heres my thoughts

nightraid3r

Chieftain
Hey guys,

I started playing civilization 5 BNW about 1-2 months ago. I hadn't had a lot of civ background other than random dabbling, but had played other kinds of strategy games like RTW2, EU4, etc.

I never thought that I would be able to beat Deity difficulty after struggling on Prince/King for the first week or so.

This post is for all of you who are in a similar spot to me. Here are some lessons from my journey in Civ 5:

1. In Immortal and Deity don't worry about score. You will be losing in score. Just block it out.
2. Your cities aren't going to be ideal. Just get 4 down as fast as possible, then get National College. If you can get another one up, great, if not, just play standard 4 city tall, etc. If you don't go fast, you will get bad land because AI gobbles it up quickly.
3. Be wary of common runaways like Hiawatha and Alexander. Pay other AI's on your continent/map to fight them and keep them busy. They get nasty later.
4. Observatories are really strong.
5. Don't ignore gold production, try to have at least one coastal city for sea trade routes to generate gold.
6. Don't forget about pumping food/production into your cities. This can be extremely helpful.
7. Don't go for any ancient/classical wonders. Really don't hammer out any wonders on Deity, if you don't have a great engineer to get it in 1-2 turns, then don't bother. It's more efficient to not get any of the wonder anyways, but after you get NC, you can pick up late reni/early industrial era wonders with great engineers.
8. Think many turns ahead. Don't randomly pick policies, or randomly tech techs. Always play with end goal in mind.
9. On tougher difficulties like Deity bear in mind that it will always seem like if the AI dows you they will win because they have so many more troops than you. This isn't true, the AI is ******ed, just use range units, and terrain. Easy money. Enjoy the wars they declare on you, and use the great generals to steal luxuries from neighboring city state allies of your enemies, or your enemies themselves.

If you got questions I'd be happy to answer, although I'm sure there are better people to ask than me on this community.

Good luck!

What kind of victory did you go for? Which civ? How often do you restart?

I find myself restarting around turn 150. I want to perfect my early game and I get bored if the turns get too slow. I am a fairy new Civ 5 player, though I did play a lot of SMAC.

Also, if you wait for 4 cities before NC, this will mean you get it around turn 120. Isn't that way, way too late? I usually go for 1 city into NC into 2nd city or 2nd city into NC into third city, depending on land. I can never ever get land for a 4th city. I get smothered by the AI. Especially Pocatello, Catherine, Washington and Hiwaitha.

You can have NC with 4 cities between T85 to T100. T120 is more surely for Education if you're going to something other than a domination.

I tried 2, 3 or 4 cities NC. It's not how fast you get it that matters, it's how your cities growth when you have it. 3 tall cities are better than 4 average cities.

Tradition : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523371

Need really good dirt. Often 3 cities NC, then settle a four city.
Basically : Scout - Monument - Scout - Shrine - Granary - Settlers - Settlers - Caravan - Caravan - Archer - Archer - Library - Oracle pre-build (or settler if I waste money before) - NC.

But more surely Liberty : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKUAgsCsJlq5Md1wIf4VpOQ (his Shoshones LP).

Settlers, settlers after free settlers. Manage to have library up when Philo is reached.

Tradition : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=523371

Need really good dirt. Often 3 cities NC, then settle a four city.
Basically : Scout - Monument - Scout - Shrine - Granary - Settlers - Settlers - Caravan - Caravan - Archer - Archer - Library - Oracle pre-build (or settler if I waste money before) - NC.

But more surely Liberty : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKUAgsCsJlq5Md1wIf4VpOQ (his Shoshones LP).

Settlers, settlers after free settlers. Manage to have library up when Philo is reached.

Thanks for the response. In my last game (Prince, Maya) I got the NC by around turn 76 or so, but that was with only one city, so I was really wondering how one could get a 4 city NC by turn 85-100. It should be noted that I built GL and then the NC.

Btw, no worker in that build order you mentioned?

Imho, building a national college with 4 cities can be done easier and earlier with liberty rather than tradition because you easily get more hammers with the republic for the libraries and you also get to build cities earlier from the collective rule social policy. If you want to build the national college with tradition then you would have to rely on commerce more than production since monarchy gives more commerce. You can also shop from the extra liberty cities when you build the trade routes quicker with the citizenship social policy.

Thanks for the response. In my last game (Prince, Maya) I got the NC by around turn 76 or so, but that was with only one city, so I was really wondering how one could get a 4 city NC by turn 85-100. It should be noted that I built GL and then the NC.

Btw, no worker in that build order you mentioned?

Workers were made to be stolen. But both the AI and CSs are so slow to build workers on Prince, that hard-building one or two (and/or building the Pyramids, if you take Liberty) may be necessary.

Rush buy workers or steal them from CSor AI. Even turn 40 or later. On Prince, you don't really now improve tiles. It's better, but you can manage a good start with late workers.

You can also rush buy libraries if you want to build the NC.

this, if you don't intend to warmonger selling your horses and iron to a far-away civ can be a good way to quickly get the money. Also, devoting a trade route to food can quickly get the city up to speed where it'll build it itselft quite rapidly if you've also got workers in the area immediately.

Tradition has the wonder policy, tho. Additionally, if going for only 4 cities, tradition will put you in way better shape after NC is up. I would rather have NC five turns later and better economy and pop. Liberty is only viable for wide.
Of course, this all goes out the window if you're talking some kind of hybrid build :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

for people wondering what win to go for, domination is by far the easiest. AI's will probably have 400 ish influence with many CS or have taken them over so no easy diplo, you dont have enough wonders for culture. Science, it takes a long time and AI's have advantages in any neccessary stat for science.

I always build my NC around turn 65-70 (depends wether I find an early culture pantheon so I can open tradition and go into Legalism for a free monument). I build a settler, then build my NC and buy a library in my 2nd city. I'm just not good a getting my 4 cities early on because I'm a bit obsessed by growth in my capital..

Or.. if you want to keep tradition, you can also get a quick 2 city start with libraries in each along with technology leading to philosophy so that way you can get the NC up and running right away. You don't have to worry about building the monument so soon since legalism already has the free culture building in the first 4 cities. After you finish building the NC, then you could make settlers for additional cities.

Top Bottom