GOTM 120 Spoiler

Inkerman

Engineer
Civ2 GOTM Staff
I know that 1 person already finished GOTM 120

It's me. Well you see I had rather fallen off the pace on the previous one (#119) and anyway I had finished it some time ago. But I am still enjoying the spoiler thanks for all your contributions.

I hadn't used GOTM 119 to explore the Civ2 game's limits in quite the way others have managed (e.g. Hitting the city limit – well done lots of players. e.g. Conquering on an extra large map, respawns on, by 500 BC – well done Peaster. e.g. Delivering over 30,000 gold in one turn – well done mackerel.) But I had enjoyed the game and the spoiler thread, and perhaps learnt a bit which I could apply this time round. I rather suspect however that my experience will once again serve to reassure others that they do know what they are doing, in case they have any doubts.

So what is the situation this time? An extra-small map, and likely more difficult terrain, based on the discussion in the game thread and a few tries with map editor on the same dimensions. Also a harder level. So maybe not quite so easy to run away up to the city limit as in #119.

On the other hand we have two settlers rather than one.

Black clicking again suggests there aren't many other continents.

The first choice was what to do with the settlers. I decide to go to the grass because it's what I know and likely to get the next round of settlers quicker, and both go in the same direction. I read some comments about whether to split settlers in the spoiler for #106 (when the start was on the pole), and concluded generally best not to split them. Looking back I am pleased I did this.

Sixty turns later, at 1000 B.C. we've met everyone else, had a war with the Sioux, misplaced a key city that, with the benefit of hindsight, we're going to use for an SSC, found an internal lake, changed to Monarchy (1450) and acquired Trade, from a hut. Nine cities, population 16. But as in the previous game, probably too much military for too little success in war. The thing is I don't want to lose cities to the AI or the barbarians (as the Sioux have done) and I don't know how close to the edge one can go. Maybe I need a few practices, away from the GOTM spotlights? Maybe I should have delayed starting this game whilst I did that!

I hadn't used GOTM 119 to explore the Civ2 game's limits in quite the way others have managed (e.g. Hitting the city limit – well done lots of players. e.g. Conquering on an extra large map, respawns on, by 500 BC – well done Peaster. e.g. Delivering over 30,000 gold in one turn – well done mackerel.) But I had enjoyed the game and the spoiler thread, and perhaps learnt a bit which I could apply this time round. I rather suspect however that my experience will once again serve to reassure others that they do know what they are doing, in case they have any doubts.
I had tried 119 too, however with OCC at the great starting location, but stopped around 1000 BC because I was surrounded by rather hostile viking cities. Played again, built up a nice peaceful trading-scientific empire, landed in 1591 and learned.
But I am still VERY impressed seeing people micromanaging that many cities. :goodjob:
So what is the situation this time? An extra-small map, and likely more difficult terrain, based on the discussion in the game thread and a few tries with map editor on the same dimensions. Also a harder level.
Pretty much the same ideas I had at starting this GOTM. Also did the same map editor tests. Additionally, I used Ali's hint about the resource seed and figured out that a nice 4-special-site (2 fish-, 2 whale-types) was just a few steps west of the starting location. So my first idea was to check it out for OCCability. Although I am not used to playing on high difficulties (high for people like me), I had some successful OCC-games in the last few months. Probably because happiness-control is much easier if you have to focus on just one city and even more easier once the city has completed Shakespeare's Theater. ;)
So here is my log until 3300 B.C. (unusual date, but i it is a cliffhanger ;)):

4000 - Start exploring westward to check out 4-special-site
3900 - city site on forest, ocean access, only forest & ocean within radius
specials: 2 silk, 2 fish, 1 of them still black.
Not a great OCC site by now. However there will by trade arrows from silk and ocean, shields from forest and food from fish (and eventually shielded&farmed grassland). Will start going for OCC and see how things are going.
3850 - start irrigating city site (10,4)
3650 - Camden (Since I was planning to have just one city, I wanted it to have a special name instead of the standard city names) founded-warrior, worker on silk.
(tech plan to mon: CB-Alph-(tech from hut/AI)-CoL-Mon)
3550 - Start irrigating silk for food (wheat)
3450 - warrior built, goes exploring south
3400 - CB discovered -> Alphabet
3300 - pop hut -> advanced tribe! (what now, reload because of OCC or change of plans?)

I assume that in this case reloading WOULD be allowed, although the general GOTM rules forbid it to change a hut's outcome. The Paulicy however says that reloading is obliged if hut popping results in an advanced tribe.

I'll post more of my log tomorrow. And I would really appreciate some RCC from the more experienced players.

Good day Major, it is good to have your company.

My understanding is the Paulicy defines exceptions to the normal GOTM rules, and so yes, if you choose to play OCC you should reload when you find the advanced tribe.

If you do reload because of an advanced tribe and subsequently choose not to do OCC I do not see that as a disqualification; in any case stay with the spoiler thread at least.

One of the reasons for sending both my settlers in the same direction was that if they both establish cities (as they did) the cities would be closer together, which is good for support and corruption containment. With OCC you have only one city, which may mean there is a stronger case for sending the settlers in opposite directions, to check out another potential city site, and perhaps to pop more huts.

One of the reasons for sending both my settlers in the same direction was that if they both establish cities (as they did) the cities would be closer together, which is good for support and corruption containment. With OCC you have only one city, which may mean there is a stronger case for sending the settlers in opposite directions, to check out another potential city site, and perhaps to pop more huts.

Hi Inkerman!
You are right, if you don't have an idea about where to put your city, it makes sense to use the settlers for exploring first. My plan was to check out (10,4) because of the 4 specials around it and it took only two turns to realize it was forest with ocean access. I considered it to be good enough since I was expecting mostly woods, mountains and hills anyway. After settling I used the other settler to cut down some forest for more food.

Here is more log till 1 AD:

(still 3300 B.C.)
5 minutes later -> decided to stick to OCC, reload, chariot (supported)
3250 - warrior produced -> tempel
3100 - worker to irrigated wheat for city growth (3 food surplus)
2850 - Alphabet discovered -> writing, pop hut -> bronze working (bad, one turn too late :() workers on fish and wheat
2700 - hut -> horseman (none)
2650 - meet japanese, refuse to trade techs for now (they offer currency) to keep track on monarchy
2350 - Camden size 3, workers on fish, wheat and silk
2250 - Find Russian city of Little Bighorn (Didn't get message the Sioux were wiped out yet); Trade for map making (they also have the wheel already), trade for currency with japan, 50 gold from hut, change production to market place
2200 - Barbs show up west of Kyoto
2100 - "Teleport" horseman back to Camden (withdraw)
1950 - Barbs destroy french, writing discovered -> Code of Laws (Monarchy will be available next unless another "outside" tech), change production to library, bought for 46 gold, tech rate at 16, hope lib will help
1900 - colossus started, tech rate at 11; find Teotihuacan, peace with Aztecs, no tech trading, but i ask for tribute and they give me Code of Law!!)
1850 - Research to monarchy
1650 - Chariot defeats Barb archer near Aztecs (couldn't move otherwise), vet but almost dead, Warrior discovers St. Petersburg
1600 - Russians destroy Sioux
1450 - pay 50g to Russians for peace, give techs (don't know if it was a good idea)
1350 - Camden size 4
1250 - Monarchy discovered (Oedo year! :king:) -> Literacy (Trade not offered, can't build caravans anyway as long as colossus isn't done)
925 - Trade for Iron working with japanese, give monarchy, get 50 g tribute; Warrior contained in Aztecia
825 - Warrior released
800 - Literacy discovered -> Trade; Warrior stumbles on Moscow
775 - Nice timing! Withdrew Warrior home from Moscow just in time to prevent riots in Camden (grew to size 5)
725 - Aztecs tell me they have republic
700 - Talk to Aztecs, they want gold, i refuse, war
625 - Aztecs again, they want me to join their fight with japan, denied
550 - Colossus built
525 - Barbs south of Camden
500 - Trade discovered -> Republic, production to caravan
400 - caravan produced (beads), still at home, path blocked by barbs
350 - Barb leader 100 g
325 - Disband warrior into trireme
300 - Trireme built, sails east with caravan, republic discovered -> mysticism
275 - Aztecs have banking, Camden size 6, riots, elvis
225 - Unload Caravan near Kyoto, trade for construction with japanese, give alphabet, writing, get 100 g tribute (Ouch, forgot revolution last turn)
200 - Wait for caravan delivery until republic
150 - Russians have mysticism, Revolution
125 - Republic established, Demanded Beads to Kyoto, 184 gold, tsl at 1-6-3, tech rate at 7
100 - Mysticism -> Banking, caravan built, market place next (or aquaeduct, we'll see), tsl 0-7-3
75 - Market Place bought (154g)
50 - Market built -> caravan (for wonders to come), talk to Aztecs, peace trade for banking and seafaring, rate 0-2-8
25 - Research to philosophy (would be the first)
1 AD - drop caravans near Kyoto (must wait two turns for delivery to get science bonus though)
Stats: 1 city, 210k pop., 1 wonder (col), no AI wonders, no embassy, 17 techs, 1 trade route, 2 more to come soon, french and sioux destroyed by Barbs and Russians

Things went pretty well so far.
With hindsight, I think it was a mistake to trade techs before monarchy that was luckily partly corrected by the Aztecs who gave Code of Laws. The idea I had back then was that the Russians probably would be less friendly the next time I spoke to them (MGE), so if I wanted to get map making from them, that was the only chance.

Marco Polo might be very helpful in OCC-games as well, but I expected to have physical contact with all AIs soon enough to know where to deliver caravans. Embassies could be established by diplomats if necessary, and there is always so much else to build. ;)

I also went for OCC at the 4-special site, needed a quick game after taking hours per turn on 119. I didn't explore early or build MPE, and never did get the dominant russians or sioux to form an alliance. At one point both the russians and japanese invaded, I made peace with russia but didn't notice the japanese, so I was conquered.

I went back a turn, made peace with both of them, and went on to land before anybody else even started a ship, so I'll be posting logs but not submitting this game to the contest.

I tried this one, went not for OCC but for a regular game. Should have chosen OCC though... the Sioux were conquered early. With no respawns, I could say goodbye to my odds to a half-decent score. I tried to plug away until 1000 AD or so, but I got fed up as barbs were too much of a nuisance and I was far behind in terms of Civ, and even trade gave lousy returns. I will not submit anything this time.

The survival or not of the Sioux is a matter that I had not previously given thought to.

I think it is assumed that if we don't go the OCC route then we will almost surely be Supreme so the Sioux will be key Civ. So whether they get eliminated or not by the Russians will affect our science costs significantly and in a spaceship game that will make a big difference to the rate of progress.

(There was a discussion in the previous spoiler thread about making the key civ weak and keeping them busy with war if you were going to "tech bomb", but their elimination would obviously be overdoing it!)

Maybe I was fortunate in that they survived in my game, despite the Barbs taking their capital and the war with us that I mentioned in my earlier post. I see from my notes I gave them bronze working in 1300BC, maybe this helped when the Russians came calling.

Also "allowing" the Japanese to survive (I rather think if I had played more strongly I would not have done this!) may have helped counter the Russians, because the Russians and Japanese seem to have been deadly enemies.

I am not experienced with OCC, and I do not know who the key Civ would be in that case, but presumably having your key Civ alive rather than dead is helpful?

Also "allowing" the Japanese to survive (I rather think if I had played more strongly I would not have done this!) may have helped counter the Russians, because the Russians and Japanese seem to have been deadly enemies.
The Japanese turned out to be very helpful for me as well. They kept the Russians busy with war, served as buffer (?) between Russians and me and also had some gold to give every now and then.

I am not experienced with OCC, and I do not know who the key Civ would be in that case, but presumably having your key Civ alive rather than dead is helpful?
And at this moment I realize that I paid too little attention to the key-civ-question in my game. :mischief: Anyway, I checked some saves and it seems I was my own key civ for most of the time (until 18th century, then Aztecs).

3850 - start irrigating city site (10,4)
3650 - Camden founded
You would have been better off building the city first and irrigating with the other settler.
3550 - Start irrigating silk for food (wheat)
With a visible fish you had enough food on hand; Silk is more valuable in the long run than wheat.
3300 - pop hut -> advanced tribe! (what now, reload because of OCC or change of plans?)

I assume that in this case reloading WOULD be allowed, although the general GOTM rules forbid it to change a hut's outcome.
You are right. In this case reloading is allowed, in fact necessary.

If you run into things like this that you are unsure about mention them in the game thread not the spoiler since those who have not played the game to a certain point will not see your question.

3250 - warrior produced -> tempel
A temple this early is not a good idea unless you had nothing else to build. A temple before Mysticism pacifies one person and costs 1 coin. Thus it earns you a measly 1 arrow per turn (you could set a luxury rate and use two arrows to pacify the same person).
Marco Polo might be very helpful in OCC-games as well, but I expected to have physical contact with all AIs soon enough to know where to deliver caravans. Embassies could be established by diplomats if necessary, and there is always so much else to build. ;)
On larger maps, Marco is indeed a necessity in OCC games. I often build it as the first wonder. But here with just a few rivals and all of them close by you were wise to skip it; I am planning on doing the same.

I tried this one, went not for OCC but for a regular game. Should have chosen OCC though... the Sioux were conquered early. With no respawns, I could say goodbye to my odds to a half-decent score. I tried to plug away until 1000 AD or so, but I got fed up as barbs were too much of a nuisance and I was far behind in terms of Civ, and even trade gave lousy returns. I will not submit anything this time.
Do not give up for these reasons. We are all playing on the same map. The trade returns are going to be poor for every one. I have played till -750 and already paid 50g to barbarians to save my New York from being taken over.

if we don't go the OCC route then we will almost surely be Supreme so the Sioux will be key Civ. So whether they get eliminated or not by the Russians will affect our science costs significantly and in a spaceship game that will make a big difference to the rate of progress.

Maybe I was fortunate in that they survived in my game, despite the Barbs taking their capital and the war with us that I mentioned in my earlier post. I see from my notes I gave them bronze working in 1300BC, maybe this helped when the Russians came calling.

You are right on all counts. My Sioux were destroyed by Russians early on. It is going to take a lot of time to research the tech tree without them. In OCC your key civ jumps around during the game and it pays to pay attention to it. Anytime it lands on a missing civ it would be advantageous to move it by spending/acquiring money, giving away techs to other rivals to get their ratings to change thus causing yours to change as well.

I have just played till -750. Like Major Advantage I decided to go west first for the 4 special site despite the fact that I was not planing on playing OCC. I did build my capital at that site. I decided to keep the second settler for work and used size 1 tactic for my first produced settler. In my exploration I happened to go south first so I built my second city in that peninsula. Russians destroyed Sioux in -2300. I have been Supreme for a while now and was Mighty before that so my tech progress is real slow. Hut luck has been OK: no barbs, no nomads, and no advanced tribes. Monarchy was established in -1850. I am currently researching Philosophy.

Do not give up for these reasons. We are all playing on the same map. The trade returns are going to be poor for every one. I have played till -750 and already paid 50g to barbarians to save my New York from being taken over.

Barb ships attacking my ship chains were the biggest concerns... anyways, I doubt I would have had enough RL time to play that one.

Date Notes

-4000 Settlers move west.
-3850 Washington founded on forest at 4 special site. Warrior started.
-3800 -> Alphabet
-3500 Alphabet -> Ceremonial Burial.
-3400 50g from hut.
-3050 Ceremonial Burial -> Bronze Working. Size 1 settler produced.
-2850 New York founded.
-2700 Bronze Working from hut.
-2650 -> Code of Laws.
-2550 None Legion from hut.
-2400 Code of Laws -> Monarchy.
-2300 Sioux civilization destroyed by Russians.
-2100 Ran into Russian (6) Little Big Horn. Refused knowledge Exchange waiting for Monarchy. Reached peace.
-2050 Boston_8 founded on hill being mined.

Status at -2000
Population: 0.03M; Cities: 3; Trade routes: 0D0F; Government: Despotism
Gold: 113; Cost per turn: 0; Total advances: 5; Production: 8; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders:
Units: 2 settlers (1 None), 1 warriors, 1 None Legion
Russian: No embassy
Japanese: No contact
French: No contact
Aztec: No contact
Sioux: Destroyed by Russians

-1900 Monarchy -> Currency. Revolution started.
-1850 Monarchy established. T3L0S7
-1800 Discovered and reached peace with Japanese (3).
Monarchy -> Russian (6) -> Mapmaking, no alliance.
Mapmaking -> Japanese (3) -> Currency, alliance, maps.
-1750 -> Trade.
-1650 Philadelphia founded. Reached peace with French.
-1600 First Trireme produced.
-1450 Aztecs declare war when I refuse to give them Monarchy.
-1350 Fortified warrior survives Aztec attack.
-1300 Trade -> Writing.
-1250 Science city of Atlanta founded at 4 special site (one hidden) with access to 5 rivers.
-1150 Chicago founded.
-1000 Trade -> French -> Writing.

Status at -1000
Population: 0.06M; Cities: 6; Trade routes: 0D0F; Government: Monarchy
Gold: 40; Cost per turn: 0; Total advances: 10; Production: 14; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders:
Units: 2 settlers (1 None), 1 warriors, 1 None Legion, 2 Triremes
Russian: No embassy
Japanese: No embassy; Allied with me
French: No embassy
Aztec: No embassy; War with me

-0975 -> Mysticism. Monarchy -> Japanese -> Mysticism.
-0950 -> Literacy. Legion kills Aztec archer and turns vet. French (4) -> 50g.
-0925 Barbarian archer lands near undefended New York.
-0900 Paid 50g to barbarians to spare New York. London built on island 3 as the first offshore city.
-0875 Legion survives Aztec warrior.
-0850 Literacy -> Masonry. Literacy -> French -> Masonry. Horseman from hut.
-0825 -> Philosophy. French (3) -> 100g. Offered Aztecs peace, no tribute.
-0775 Accepted Japanese offer of 150g to declare war on Russians. Buffalo founded. Literacy -> Aztec -> Iron Working, 0g (just to see what else they may have).
-0750 Manchester founded. French declare war over my demand for tribute. Aztec ->0g
-0725 Aztecs declare war over my demand for tribute.
-0675 Philosophy from hut.
-0650 -> Construction -> Bridge Building. Detroit founded on hilltop (being mined) as the canal city into Lake 13.
-0550 Beads from Washington to Little Big Horn for 92 establishes the first trade route.
-0525 Havana founded on island 5.
-0500 Baltimore founded.
-0475 Bridge Building -> math.
-0450 Legion survives Aztec warrior.
-0425 Russians and French ally against me! French -> 25g. Aztec -> 25g.
-0400 Colossus founded as the first wonder of the world. Hides from science city to Tenochtitlan for 96 established the second trade route.
-0350 Denver founded. Wandering barbarian leader killed by Trireme for 100g!
-0325 Gifted Aztecs and French into map exchange. Updated Japanese maps.
-0300 Math -> Republic. Haiti founded on island 2. French, Aztec -> 0g.
-0250 Horseman kills Russian chariot and turns vet.
-0225 Horseman kills 2 Russian units. Dallas founded. French, Aztec -> 0g.
-0150 Hanging Gardens built. T7L0S3
-0125 Aztec -> 50g.
-0100 Construction -> Russian -> Cease fire. Hopefully their chariot will not attack Dallas.
-0075 Russian chariot pulls back. Republic -> Astronomy. T3L0S7. Math , Republic -> Japanese -> 100g.
-0050 Revolution started.
-0025 Aztec -> 50g. French -> Wheel. Republic established. T2L3S5. 2 domestic offshore Hides from science city for 156, 164.
+0001 Capital and science city celebrate. Wine to Japanese for 44.

Status at +0001
Population: 0.54M; Cities: 15; Trade routes: 4D3F; Government: Republic
Gold: 328; Cost per turn: 0; Total advances: 20; Production: 51; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Colossus, Hanging Gardens
Units: 9 settlers (1 None), 1 warriors, 2 Phalanx, 1 None Legion, 1 Horseman, 3 Triremes, 2 Diplomats, 6 Caravans.
Russian: 3+ cities; No embassy
Japanese: 1 city; No embassy; Allied with me
French: 4+ cities; No embassy
Aztec: 3+ cities; No embassy;

Barb ships attacking my ship chains were the biggest concerns...
While playing last night it occurred to me why barbs are a bigger than expected problem in this game. When thinking about the barbarian problem we tend to consider only the barbarian setting which in this game is one notch down from max. However, that setting only controls the frequency and ferocity of the barbarian appearances. Since barbarians appear in random locations, the chances of any player actually seeing a particular appearance goes down with the size of the world. Since this world is 1/8th the max size, you are roughly 8 times more likely to see barbarians than in a maxed sized map like that of the previous GOTM.

With a visible fish you had enough food on hand; Silk is more valuable in the long run than wheat.
I thought it would help early city growth to have some extra food. Later on, I planted some trees there to turn wheat back to silk when I had harbor, grassland and super market for better food-production.

A temple this early is not a good idea unless you had nothing else to build. A temple before Mysticism pacifies one person and costs 1 coin. Thus it earns you a measly 1 arrow per turn (you could set a luxury rate and use two arrows to pacify the same person).
Absolutely. That's why I switched to library when writing was discovered and did not finish the temple. I kept them happy with luxuries until Shakespeare was finished.

Big thanks for your advice. :goodjob: I'm gonna keep it in mind.

At this stage I was similar to the status that Ali_Ardavan reports. Same number of cities. I have a few more citizens because of pyramids and less investment in securing and improving the 4-special city sites, more embassies but less trade and I am not yet a republic.

As noted earlier I am fortunate that the Sioux are still around. But the science city has not been sited to best advantage and I have yet to build at the 4-special site near our start position where Ali and the Major (playing OCC) have their capitals.

Status at +0001
Population: 0.94M; Cities: 15; Trade routes: 0D3F; Government: Monarchy
Gold: 436; Cost per turn: 7; Total advances: 21; Production 70 (demograph – mfg goods).
Wonders: Pyramids, Colossus, Hanging Gardens
Units: 9 settler, 5 warrior, 12 phalanx, 3 archer, 4 chariot, 2 triremes, 3 dip, 2 caravan.
Russian: Uncooperative, peace, 2+ cities
Japanese: Uncooperative, peace, 2 or 3 cities
French: Uncooperative, peace, 17 advances, 3 cities
Aztec: Enthusiastic, peace, 20 advances, 2 cities
Sioux: Enthusiastic, peace, 17 advances, 3 cities.

The caravans have earned 32, 36 and 108.

Regarding the city sites weaknesses I note I played before I had seen the informative starting position / map analysis comments that Ali led in the game thread itself.

I noted earlier I felt I was carrying extra military compared to stronger play, and the status seems to confirm this. Perhaps this has not been such a disadvantage because of the amount of barbarian activity and our proximity to space-limited neighbours.

+0020 Astronomy -> Medicine. First infrastructure, library in science city, built. T2L4S4
+0060 Los Angeles founded. T4L2S4
+0080 French build Pyramids. French embassy established.
+0100 Writing -> Aztec -> Medicine. -> Seafaring.
+0120 Salt to Aztecs for 136. T0L2S8
+0140 Seafaring -> Engineering. T4L2S4. Deliveries to Moscow for 280, 110.
+0180 Domestic wine for 110.
+0200 Engineering -> Sanitation. Domestic deliveries for 72, 106.
+0220 Renouncing peace with Aztecs instead of removing troops did not cause the fall of the government. T6L2S2
+0240 Aztec horseman killed. French settler turned None bought for 220g. T8L2S0
+0260 French warrior sneak attacks my None settler and dies. Hides from Washington to Atlanta (science city) for 104. French Orleans bribed for 330g. Got 57g, Horseback riding, 2 Phalanx, and a barracks. Kansas founded. T2L4S4
+0280 Domestic delivery for 78. Aztec embassy established. Japanese cancel alliance. Russians declare war over my refusal to share Engineering.
+0300 Aztecs build Great Library. 2 Russian chariots killed. San Diego founded. 25g from hut.
+0320 Sanitation -> Banking. Domestic deliveries for 60.
+0340 Delivery to Aztecs for 92. Domestic delivery for 88.
+0400 Domestic delivery for 52. Invention from hut.
+0420 Legion survives Aztec attack. Chariot kills 2 Russian units.
+0440 Banking -> Democracy. Russian embassy established.
+0460 Domestic delivery for 22.
+0480 Shakespeare built. Science city of size 9 celebrates.
+0500 Aztec horseman killed.

Status at +0500
Population: 1.8M; Cities: 19; Trade routes: 19D7F; Government: Republic
Gold: 19; Cost per turn: 18; Total advances: 28; Production: 88; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Colossus, Hanging Gardens, Shakespeare
Units: 10 settlers (2 None), 1 warriors, 4 Phalanx, 1 None Legion, 1 Horseman, 1 Chariot, 4 Triremes, 2 Diplomats, 8 Caravans.
Russian: 7 cities, 24 techs; Allied with French, War with me
Japanese: 1+ city; No embassy
French: 3 cities, 21 techs; Pyramids; War with Japanese, allied with Russians
Aztec: 3 cities, 22 techs; Great Library ; war with me

3 out of 4 of my city gains in this period came from bribery. There is no room for further expansion in the west and have not been seen +500. The east is yet to be fully colonized. I have been primarily concerned with building up my existing cities and building urgently needed wonders. Leo is currently being worked on and shall be done in 3 turns.

+0540 Domestic delivery for 42. T6L2S2
+0600 Richmond founded.
+0620 Democracy -> Polytheism. Revolution started. Demanded tribute from every one. Russians and Aztecs declared war, Japanese ignored me, French gave 75g. Lost my chariot trying to kill a Russian chariot. Horseman finishes the job. Japanese Osaka bribed for 406g. Got 104g, Warrior Code, 2 archers, and a marketplace. Japanese civilization destroyed. Russian Kiev bribed for 385g. Got 67g, Feudalism, Trireme, settler, and barracks. Democracy established. T3L4S3. Domestic offshore Hides to science city for 252.
+0640 Russians lose 2 units attacking me. Copernicus built. Aztec horseman killed. Domestic delivery for 63.
+0680 Russians and Aztecs each lose a unit attacking me. 2 Russian units killed.
+0700 Aztecs lose a unit attacking me. Polytheism -> Monotheism.
+0720 French unit killed.
+0740 French and Aztec units killed. Domestic delivery for 76.
+0760 Beads to Paris for 120.
+0780 Monotheism -> University. Russian chariot killed.
+0800 Barbarians capture French Minsk. Aztecs lose a chariot attacking me.
+0820 Russian Chariot kills my Phalanx and is killed by my horseman. Domestic delivery for 123. Coal to Aztecs for 77. Barbarian Minsk bribed for 208. Got 3 units.
+0840 University -> Gunpowder. Offered Russians cease fire to prevent an attack on Orleans.
+0860 Barbarian legion lands near Detroit. Domestic deliveries for 153, 115. Delivery to Paris for 218.
+0880 Gunpowder -> Chemistry. Barbarian legion near Detroit bribed for 82g. Aztec Chariot killed.
+0900 Russians build Sun Tzu. Aztec catapult killed.
+0920 Domestic deliveries for 102.
+0960 Chemistry -> Explosives. Michelangelo built. Domestic deliveries for 80.
+1000 Wine to Russians for 67. Domestic deliveries for 48.

Status at +1000
Population: 8.7M; Cities: 23; Trade routes: 34D9F; Government: Democracy
Gold: 18; Cost per turn: 54; Total advances: 36; Production: 148; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: Colossus, Hanging Gardens, Shakespeare, Copernicus, Michelangelo
Units: 14 settlers (2 None), 1 warriors, 3 Phalanx, 1 Archer, 2 Legions, 1 Musketeer, 1 Horseman, 5 Triremes, 4 Diplomats, 17 Caravans.
Russian: 6 cities, 25 techs; Sun Tzu; Allied with French
Japanese: Destroyed by me
French: 2 cities, 22 techs; Pyramids; Allied with Russians
Aztec: 3 cities, 25 techs; Great Library ;

I'd love to post some more of my log, but my computer has some serious problems (after just 8 years... :cry:). So now I am using an even older one (civ2 works fine here), but I haven't been able to access the other hdd by now....:rolleyes:

Ok, here we go (computer replaced, but I could recover all the important data, such as this ;)). Basically, I was only researching, growing and delivering a van every now and then.

40 - Philosophy discovered -> Medicine -> bridge building, hides (92) and salt (92) to Kyoto, Trade routes #2 and 3 established
inturn: Japanese have bridge-building, would pay that and 50 g for alliance against russia, i agree
60 - next tech horseback riding with nothing else to choose, hides produced, ready to ship to Tenochtitlan (demanded)
140 - 2 hides on their way to Tenochtitlan, rate at 1-7-2
180 - discover riding -> masonry, trade riding with japanese for masonry, ask for money, they cancel alliance
200 - chose math as research, Camden size 7, need aquaeduct soon
260 - Russians, give bridge building, cease fire, no peace though
280 - Trireme kills barb leader in Aztecia, 100g, nice! Bad: Teno is out of demand for hides but moscow's in
300 - 1 hides to Teno anyway, 180 g, other still on trireme
320 - Teno builds pyramids, Trireme looks for a southern route to moscow
340 - Math discovered -> Astronomy, southern route blocked, hides to Teno for 128g
500 - Astro discovered -> Navigation
540 - Aquaeduct built -> Shakes (+5 vans, 50 shields left, disband chariot, 5 turns left)
620 - Riots, finish Shakes for 20 g, barb legions destroying my irrigations)
tsl at 2-8-0
640 - Shakes built, no food surplus due to barb activity, start harbour
660 - Barb Legion attacks and dies, Leader captured (100g), buy harbour, rate 1-6-3 for WLTCD
680 - Japan asks for Alliance against Russia, offer 200g and Engineering, I'm in
720 - Japan, trade techs (chivalry)
760 - Camden size 12, celebration stopped
780 - Navigation discovered -> Sewer next for further growth instead of university, gem caravan shipping to Russia)
840 - Russians demand Navigation for Cease fire, not given yet
860 - Cease fire for Navigation, unload Caravan, delivery next turn
880 - Gems to Little Bighorn, 327g
900 - Sewer discovered -> Invention, 4 vans in store for Kopernikus
920 - Rush Sewer System for 220g, rate 1-7-2 for celebration
1000 - Bank finished, one more van to build (for Kopernikus)

Stats: Pop 1.2 Mill. (and rising); 3 trade routes, no embassy
Wonders: Colossus, Shakespeare; Russians: HG, KRC; Aztecs: Pyr

1040 - Start Kopernikus, add 5 vans, size 17, still celebrating
1060 - Invention discovered -> University
1080 - Celebration stopped at size 19, no more food surplus
1120 - Kopernikus finished, tech rate at 4, tsl 3-7-0
1160 - University discovered -> Physics (railroad)
1180 - Beads caravan going east by ship
1240 - physics -> Steam engine
1260 - RB University
1280 - Delivery delayed for next turn
1300 - Steam engine -> Railroad, Beads to Kyoto 174g
1340 - Railroad disc. -> Industry
1380 - Russian Crusader at border, we had cease fire for a long time...
-> will probably sneak attack next turn, talk, give steam, no peace :(
1400 - Attack and kill Settler, as expected, Indust. -> Gravity
1420 - Crusader walks off
1440 - Diplo built, what next? more vans for storage (Newton) or factory?
Factory will probably cause heavy pollution, so i think i should have clean-up engineers first
1460 - Gravity -> chemistry, keep producing vans, bribe russian crusader 202g
1520 - chemistry -> gunpowder
1550 - gunpowder -> metall
1580 - metall -> Explosives, rush isaac with 7 vans and 200g
1590 - Isaac built, tech rate at 2 turns
1600 - Explosives -> economics, rush engineer
1610 - disband crusader, rush engineer
1620 - economics -> magnetism
1640 - Magnetism -> corporation
1670 - corporation -> electricity 4-6-0, 3 turns
1690 - rush factory 262g
1700 - electricity -> democracy

I finished my game.....
Don't had time to keep a real log so I only will post some snapshots of my game soon.

My spaceship was launced between 1800 and 1900.....

I had not really big problems. Because of the slow research I had trouble destroying some civ's. The Russians, Aztecs and French civ's had defenders which were to strong to defeat with crusaders, cavalry or dragoons. So I had to wait for the fighter before I could destroy them completly.

One small problem at the end was that barbarians tried attacking the last remaining city of the purple civ. If they had won the goal of the game wasn't possible because all civ's would have been destroyed. But lucky enough I had some diplomats near to prevent them attacking to much.

Top Bottom