GOTM 167 Spoiler

With apologies to all the playing time on this scenario was grossly underestimated. I am playing 1918/10 now and expect to be done this weekend.

1918/7 Lost 2 zeppelins on Rostov. Killed 1 Russian unit.
Zarizyn rendered defenseless again but it is size 1.
Single defender of Aden killed and the city taken for 43g and Bank.
Lost 2 zeppelins attacking Aswan.
Heraklion founded. Lost a destroyer attacking an allied destroyer in the carribean.

1918/8 Allies sink a transport with 4 units on board in the Caribbean.
Rostov and Panama attack forces survive enemy attacks.
Last defender of Rostov killed and the city captured for 591g and 2 structures.
Lost a zeppelin on Arkhangelsk.
Single defender of Panama killed and the city captured for Bank.
2 Allied ships sunk.

1918/9 Allies kill 2 units poised to attack Aswan.
Barbarians kill a unit in Panama. Russians attack and lose.
Panama attacker killed.
Allied destroyer sunk.
3 defenders of Novgorod killed. 2 Russian units killed.
Single defender of Zarizyn killed and the city razed.
Norway3 and Niger founded.

1918/10 Allies develop Air force. Russian rebels are still trying to spawn but are blocked.
Total war effort -> Peace movement.

Status at start of 1918/10
Objectives 87/195 Cities 122 Techs 53 Gold 2892 Cost 623
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Shakespeare, Magellan, Bach, Leo, Manhattan, Apollo
Units: 12 engineers, 223 land, 26 sea, 29 air
Notes: Allied with Austrians and Ottomans; War with Russian and Allies
Diplomacy not yet possible
Goals: Aswan, Khartoum, Oman, India, Carribean, Russia

1918/10 Last defender of Novgorod killed and the city taken for 381g and school.
Last defender of Arkhangelsk killed and the city taken for 357g and 2 structures.
3 Russian units killed.
SahraKenar and Alavan founded.
One defender of Oman killed.
Single defender of Aswan killed and the city razed.
Single defender of Kingston killed; size 1 city spared.

1918/11 Allies kill 4 units poised to attack Nassau.
Russian rebels are still trying to spawn but are blocked.
Lost a zeppelin on Kazan.
Another defender of Oman killed.
Defenseless Kingston captured for 21g and 4 structures including Airport. This is my first airport on the western hemisphere.
Medina, BritishIsle1, and WAfrica3 founded.

1918/12 Italian forces sneak attack and sink a freighter with 4 units on board.
They lose several units attacking Marseilles.
Russians and Austrians develop Arms 4.
Last defender of Oman killed and the city captured for 27g and 2 structures.
Single defender of Belize killed and the city captured for 18g.
Lost a ship of Line attacking Nassau.
Lost a zeppelin killing single defender of Tobruk and capturing the city for 67g and 2 structures.
5 Italian units killed. Lost an artillery on Benghazi.
2 Russian units killed.
3 defenders of Astrakhan killed and the city captured for 597g and 2 structures.
Lost 2 zeppelins and an army attacking Kazan and killing one of its defenders.
Zarizyn refounded.
WAfrica4, Egypt1, and Egypt2 founded.

1919/1 Once again allies kill 4 units poised to attack Nassau after losing one unit.
Italians lose 3 units attacking me.
Italians sink a freighter with 4 units on board and down a zeppelin.
Peace movement -> Improved Equipment.

Status at start of 1919/1
Objectives 94/194 Cities 138 Techs 54 Gold 1253 Cost 656
Wonders: Hanging Gardens, Great Library, Lighthouse, Sun Tzu, King Richard, Shakespeare, Magellan, Bach, Leo, Manhattan, Apollo
Units: 16 engineers, 208 land, 28 sea, 30 air
Goals: Africa, India, Carribean, Russia

If it was not for razed cities, seven of them so far, the game would have been over by now. It used to be just Russians but Allies are like that too and soon I guess Italians.

Siege artillery, or as JokeMaster calls them T3, have just started seeing action but they are not a big advantage as at this point T2 succeeds most of the time and I have plenty of those.

The big problem right now is reach. It takes several turns to go from one Russian city to the next even though they are all connected by roads. Lack of railroad hurts big time. Same thing is true in Africa and India (which I have not invaded yet).

The other problem is Carribean cities on small islands with no landing spots due to presence of troops. Being out of the reach of my air force, the only option to clear a beachhead are those very expensive Ships of Line and dreadnoughts which do not last very long even when starting as vets.

Italian sneak attack in Dec 1918 is actually a welcome event. I immediately took one of their African cities and going after the rest quickly. Their heartland may have to be skipped because of too many of their units on hills and mountains and too many Austrian units in the way.

Unlike JokeMaster I have no problems with non-vet units or lack of money. Other than not affording to rush land-attacking-ships there is enough money for everything else.

1919/1 3 Italian units killed and a zeppelin lost.
Lost a zeppelin attacking Tripoli.
2 defenders of Kazan killed; size 1 city spared.
3 defenders of Grozny killed; size 1 city spared.
Lost 5 zeppelins attacking Saratov killing 1 MG.
Unnamed undefended Russian city razed for 225g.
1 Allied unit killed.
BritishIsle2 and Egypt3 founded.

1919/2 Ottomans develop Fertilizers.
Italians down a zeppelin.
War bonds give me 1K.
3 Italian units killed and 2 zeppelins lost.
Single defender of Asmara killed and the city captured for 80g and 3 structures.
Lost 2 units before killing last defender of Saratov and capturing the city for 1215g and 3 structures.
Allied freighter sunk in Indian ocean. Allied submarine sunk.
2 defenders of Nassau killed and the city captured for 14g and 4 structures.
Crimea and Guam founded.

1919/3 Ottomans raze defenseless Grozny.
Americans sneak attack and sink 3 naval units.
Allies kill a destroyer.
Italians lose several units attacking me.
This scenario ends in 5 turns.
War bonds give me 1K.
Improved equipment -> Steel Helmet
5 defenders of Genova killed
1 defender of Benghazi killed.
4 defenders of Tripoli killed and the city captured for 78g and 3 structures.
1 Italian unit killed and a zeppelin lost.
Kazan and an unnamed Russian city razed. Russians are down to 1 city.
Allied destroyer sunk.
Daghestan and Russia2 founded. Cannot build any more cities. Now at least I have something to look for when cities are razed.

1919/4 Americans kill a unit and lose a ship attacking me.
Allies sink another ship in Indian ocean.
Austrians develop BiPlane.

Status at start of 1919/4
Objectives 98/192 Cities 148 Techs 55 Gold 3369 Cost 702
Units: 19 engineers, 226 land, 24 sea, 21 air
Goals: Africa, India, Carribean, Russia

October 1918: Munich Compound, Prypiat, Yekaterinoslavl and Warsaw Fortifications. Vienne runs out of MG’s. I’ll milk it for a while and wait until my T3’s are healed up. Hopefully they panic reinforce and I get to shoot at crappy units and get Vet for free. Wien emptied of defenders. Kill 2 MG’s in Murmansk: Murmansk taken for 55g. Kill 2 MG’s in Astrakhan: Astrakhan taken for 80g. Kill defender in Neutral Saloniki: 0g. Buffalo completely emptied of defenders, they had a lot of idle arties. I need to instantly create a fortress at each intersection after taking a city and properly bomberstack them and I don’t have enough MG’s/lack one blimp. The Americans are THAT scary. Could take it and immediately retreat, but I’d rather have them keep panicking. 10 turns to take 8 cities. Fortress near Prague.

Interturn: Turks: Trade Arms Research III for Aircraft Research II (other choice was Siege Artillery)

November 1918: Motherfricker. I thought some airplanes were restricted to specific empires… no they still are. Game just forced me to switch to the Nieuport model for some reason. Ok, I didn’t mess up. Consult High Council: Apparently we need to learn how to write. Kill 2 MG’s and a inf unit in Novorgod: the city is stormed for 94g. Prague does not have City Walls. Kill defender in Insbruck: city taken for 99g. Americans: the Great Wall forces a peace treaty. Really? That was unexpected. (Again, events.txt not working.) But it’s maybe an opportunity to assault Chicago again. Either that, or they sneak attack me next turn, because there’s no way I’m withdrawing my troops from Buffalo. Airport rushed in Quebec.

Interturn: Americans order me to scram: of course not! MG nest lost because I couldn’t attack a stack last turn. Am I physically unable to sneak attack an enemy the same turn after Great Wall? I don’t know. I’m backing up my computer for a virus scan and cba to check.

December 1918: Bomber Command > War Bonds. For some reason I initially wrote down “Bomber Construction” and was confused after reviewing the log: wtf where are my bombers?. I am severely lacking in inexpensive units on the Balkan front. Wien stormed for 1050 gold: the Austrian gov’t flees to Budapest. Fortress near Trieste. Prague stormed for 136g. Buffalo stormed for 119g: I’ll try and do a bomberstack on only one side. Hopefully I can get away with it. 97 objectives! South Spain built. Kill 4 MG’s in Alexandria: Alexandria taken for 6g. Arkhangelsk taken for 73g. Wait, I can finish? Trieste taken for 154g, only one defender, GERMAN DECISIVE VICTORY. I always overestimate my enemies... until you bump into that one random city with walls on a river. And you lose 10 turns because of it! Dang you, Riga.

Hit “W” on a soldier in Berlin. Try some suicide attacks to get a higher score, but fail. SAVE.

"I'll be home for Christmas" just took on a new meaning.

Ok, putting all the jokes aside. It was unexpectedly close at the end still after the blistering start of Ali's. The main difference, I think, was my focus on military engineering and fortress building and the earlier attack on the Italians. I was able to thin out a lot of Russian cities and prevent city razes, and got a lot of cities from the Italian mainland. It also allowed me to rely more on ground troops for the bulk of my army, which helped maintain a relatively well-manned front & prevented surprise setbacks.

If it was not for razed cities, seven of them so far, the game would have been over by now. It used to be just Russians but Allies are like that too and soon I guess Italians.

That was a bit of a problem for me too, although not as much. I ended at 100/195. Thankfully the fortresses in front of enemy cities proved to be useful, prevented a lot of pop loss.

Siege artillery, or as JokeMaster calls them T3, have just started seeing action but they are not a big advantage as at this point T2 succeeds most of the time and I have plenty of those.

Siege arties' main use for me was taking out very heavily defended river cities w/city walls, as I'd sacrifice too many 15cm artilleries otherwise, and run out of steam afterwards, and it would hold up too many forces. I got lucky in the Riga capture, but they were essential still for conquering Buffalo, StPete's, Vladimir and of course Wien (...) and the cities behind them, of course, after the way was cleared. Guess you weren't running in as many fortress problems as I was thanks to your airforce.

I blame calling them T1/2/3's on World of Tanks.

The big problem right now is reach. It takes several turns to go from one Russian city to the next even though they are all connected by roads. Lack of railroad hurts big time. Same thing is true in Africa and India (which I have not invaded yet).

Unlike JokeMaster I have no problems with non-vet units or lack of money. Other than not affording to rush land-attacking-ships there is enough money for everything else.

Maybe going after more advanced bomber tech would have helped with the reach problem? Idk. IT was the main reason why I went for closer targets. Shoulda rushed more Barracks in Russian cities.

You were producing non-veteran units, and not having problems still? That's weird. It was non-vet 15cm guns, right? I straight-up wasn't rushing them anymore, or building random crap.

I was lacking in money because of the big money waste in unsuccessful attacks on the US despite 80% taxes. Wasn't able to rush all the expensive T3's like I would be able to rush if I was running a PD. Probably would have been able to rush Barracks and T3's in Southern Russia otherwise, to deal with Rostov. Would have been better off building the units there myself. Lots of T1's idle for nothing.

Final note: Dang, I wish this scenario didn't have the House of God bug, and the impossible riot factor values. Otherwise it might have been fun to play it as the Allies, or as anyone without a fundamentalist gov't.

I think the biggest factor in your case was attacking southern Europe. Austrians and Italians have a lot of close by cities. By comparison, in Eastern Russian and Africa the cities are far apart. I had enough units to overpower any rival, the problem was getting them around and razed cities hurt there too by creating gaps in the road network. I know I could not break my alliance with Austrians. I am not sure if I could attack Italians on my own or not. Early on I made the decision to stick to my two enemies and not make new ones. They had enough cities between them to allow me to win.

I have played a couple of more turns and made little progress due to counter attacks. I am about to start June 1919 and hope that to be my last turn.

1919/4 Killed another defender of Benghazi and lost a zeppelin.
Single defender of Guadeloupe killed and the city captured for 43g and 2 structures.
Lost a dreadnought in land attack.
Two more defenders of Genova killed; size 1 city spared.
Lost a zeppelin attacking Italians.
American freighter sunk.

1919/5 Americans build Airforce Academy.
Allies develop Improved Equipment.
Ally fighter plane razes Asmara. Another fighter sinks a dreadnought!
Italians lose several units attacking me and kill 6 units of my assault forces.
Italian engineer walks in and captures undefended Berber.
Steel Helmet -> Aviation Tactics
Lost a dreadnought attacking neutrals in Puerta Espagna.
1 American ship sunk.
7 Italian units killed including the North African assault force. 1 Zeppelin lost.
Berber and Size 1 Genova razed.
Lost a zeppelin on Benghazi.
2 Allied units killed.
Aswan refounded. Ukraine1 founded.
2 defenders of Mogadishu killed. Lost a ship of Line attacking Mogadishu.

1919/6 Americans sink a submarine.
Allies and Italians lose many units in counter attacks on my assault forces.
Last defender of Mogadishu killed and the city captured for 343g and 3 structures.
Two defenders of Martinique killed and the size 1 city spared.
Single defender of San Juan killed and the city captured for 96g and 4 structures.
German decisive victory achieved: 100/190.

Retrospective observations:
I did great initially but then was bugged down later on.
My early reliance on zeppelins was a great idea and paid off handsomely.
The only techs worth researching were Aircraft1 (for building Airports), Artillery2 (for 15cm artillery), and steel helmet. I could have achieved these by mid 1917. I should have just maxed out taxes at 80% at that point and research submarine techs. While siege artillery is very powerful, it is quite expensive to rush and did not see much action in this game.
Another great realization was the spawning spots for Russian rebels and blocking them. St. Petersburg went to the brink of extinction. In fact the entire game could have been lost if the blockage had not been done in time.
Not attacking Britain early on was a huge mistake. The island was lightly defended and with 9 well developed cities it is a huge boost to whoever holds it.
I should have attacked Canada instead of the Caribbean islands. The cities in the latter were on tiny islands with no landing spots and much farther than Canada.
I wonder if I should have picked a fight with Italians. Conquering them would have allowed me to ignore the Western hemisphere which is out of the reach of my Zeppelins.
Razed cities were a big problem in mid and late game. They reduced the possible objectives and broke the road networks. I do not think there was anything I could have done about them.

This was a tough Scenario.

I am an expert Civ2 player and while I have played significantly fewer scenarios than regular games I have never played a scenario this tough. I won but only within 2 turns of the end of the scenario. The only other participant in this GOTM, Jokemaster, is also an expert player and he finished only a few turns before I did. His events.txt was disabled so his experience is not as representative as mine. Yet even without the events.txt this was a tough scenario to play.

Some of the signs of toughness were there had we paid enough attention:
- We start from a position of one notch above decisive defeat.
- The world is extremely large
- Our enemies (Allies and Russians) start with quite a bit more cities than we do

Top Bottom