GOTM 40: First Spoiler

Vanilla Open.

I decided to go for 20K win.

I managed to build Collosus 1225BC, Great Lighthouse 190BC and Great library 520AD. Together with temple, library, university, cathedral and colloseum I currently make 43 culture per turn at 1250AD. I hope I will have also Shakespeare theatre in few turns. It is hard without great leaders but I concentrate all efforts in Athens and maximize population there.

I manage to have 4 turns research cycle, so I lead research. I populated all island around me and I believe I will stay on it.

Next goal is to be able to get Universal Suffrage, I think I will not be able to get Newton's university.

I can see that, as I supposed, there are quite many of us attempting to win by 20k culture city. I am one of them. This was a decision based on the fact that I wouldn't have too much time to spend on this game, and being settled in such a nice easy-to-defend island/continent 20k would offer a nice opportunity to "enter" the game through. Becouse of the same old time-factor I also didn't keep notes, so this is based on memory (not accurate) and the info I took from the game before finishing (should be accurate)

I moved my settler NW and settled Athens there. Built warriors (2 or 3) until I had enough food and pop, so I could afford settler to leave the capital. After that first settler Athens was liberated from all the responsibilities towards the rest of the nation and was given the permission to concentrate on being the envy of the known (and unknown) world. This time my warriors had already made it clear that no more military was needed for some time.

I didn't keep any hurry on settling the own island (or other islads either). I think that in 1000BC I had 3 cities. When entering the middle ages around 250-300 AD I suppose I had something like 5 or 6 cities.

Athens buildings:

3950 BC Palace
1625 BC Colossus
1475 BC Temple
925 BC Oracle
390 BC Pyramids
330 BC Library
210 AD Great Library
330 AD Hanging Gardens

And somewhere between the GL and HG I entered MA.

I didn't build great lighthouse or The wall, but 5 AA wonders is pretty nice (especially, when they are the most culture-rich ones!). The fact that my 20k city was my capital, affected my research choises, because I didn't have a palace-prebuild opportunity, so I needed to have the next wonder (or at least some culture building) buildable after the earlier was finished. I also tried (and succeeded) to push the GL until I was in Republic so that I wouldn't waste my golden age in despot.

I started by moving my Settler NW to the river for my first city. After building my first warrior and him searching around a bit, I realized that this was an island. Oh well. With a slow tech rate Athens did not have much to build (not because I was researching slowly, but because there was no one to trade with). Therefore, Athens built settlers and wonders. Athens finished the Colossus in 1325BC, then built a settler in time for Map Making and a galley on route to the wines, and then went for the Lighthouse which was finished in 390BC. Most cities built a granary first until Map Making. My research was like this:

Pottery in 3200BC
Writing in 1830BC
Map Making in 1225BC
At 1000BC I had 1 settler, 5 Workers, 4 Warriors, 1 Galley, and 1 Hoplite. I only had 4 cities.
Literature ???
Philosophy ???
Code of Laws ~500BC
The Republic ???
(sorry about no dates on these, but once QSC is done, I don't take notes)

Nothing much happened as I looked around the seas for enemies to crush. There were no civs to be found. Finally, just before AD, I decided to push my boats into the unknown. I met two civs on the same turn in 30BC. Then things got interesting.

First I made contact with Zulus and Persians and got maps from both. From Zulus I got contact with Babylonians and Egyptians. Persians would not sell contacts with others for a reasonable price, but I could see where they were, so I set out to meet them myself. From this point on, I was not very fond of the Persians (also because of the perfect starting position they got!). I don't think I traded anything with them after the maps. I also traded Zulus, Babylonians, and Egyptians for all AA advances except Math, Currency, and Polytheism. Those came quickly on my own, and I was in the MA in shortly after that. It is amazing how slowly the AI civs ('cept Persians) researched in this game. It was also nice how the other civs didn't take the The Republic path. This made Writing, Philosophy, and Code of Laws very good trading techs. To this point I had not triggered my GA, so I could count on a MA Republic GA. I was also trying to quickly get a settler and some troops positioned between the Egyptians and the Babylonians. There was a perfect spot next to a lake that had both horses and iron. The issue would be more ship chaining, long distance transporting, and no horses back home.

[ptw] - OPEN

I move North twice and settled for rcp-3. I was actually trying to get away from the coast so I could fit a city next to the fish. Ran into more coast and settled without too much further thought. I didn't want to keep moving.

QSC
5 cities
11 pop
1 settler
4 workers
5 warriors
1 galley
3 granaries

_Year_ - Gained
3950BC - Bronze Working; Alphabet
3350BC - Pottery (research)
2070BC - Writing (research)
1200BC - Map Making (research)

I self researched Pot, Writing, MM, Lit, Phil, CoL, and Republic. Initially, I met Egypt and Babs and did a couple of small trades. I waited until I got republic before cleaning them and the Zulus out. Researched currency to finish AA in 290AD.

Contacts:
30BC Eguptians & Babylonians
90AD Zulu

_Year_ - Gained
470BC - Literature (research)
270BC - Code of Laws (research)
150BC - Philosophy (research)
10BC - Ceremonial Burial (trade)
110AD - Warrior Code (trade)
210AD - The Republic (research); Masonry; The Wheel; Iron Working; Mysticism; Mathematics; Horseback Riding; Polytheism; Construction
290AD - Currency (research); Feudalism (free)

End of AA
14 cities (3 on nearby larger island - out of picture)
52 pop
8 workers
11 warriors
1 galley (plus 11 sunk)
3 granary
1 barracks
2 library
6 harbors
Great Lighthouse (410BC)
Forbidden Place (10AD)

Very slow start. Still missing contact with half the civs.

@SpiffyKeen
Well thank you not for the explanation... :rolleyes: Er... How do you know when other people plan to start COTM9?

@Megalou
You are right. I probably should not have said that so explicitly, but ainwood did basically suggest that at the start of the thread when he talked about Renata's rules for COTM9 spoiler threads. Sorry.

It's all right. I suppose it's a rare occurrance. I doubt it will disqualify me from playing, if I get the chance. (?)

GOTM 40 – PTW Open

Part I – Calamari! (Realizing I’m on an island with lots of seafood)

Since there are no food bonuses in sight that do not require a harbor, the first priority was settling and exploring to see if there’s a settler pump nearby. Moving NW was preferred to get the river and a coastal capital. The worker began mining immediately to increase the warrior scout rate.

Research went for pottery as usual. Then writing in an attempt to get to MM, lit, and Republic, for trading and personal use.

However, I soon found that I was on an island.

This is not nearly as bad as it could be, at least not yet. There are numerous islands around the starting island that hopefully lead to real continents. The island has 29 spaces. I plan to build a very tight build with 7-8 cities on the island, for 3-4 land tiles per city. This will be improved by the addition of harbors and the working of water squares. The core will be NNW of Athens, surrounded by rings at 2, 4, and 6, for an extremely close packing. This will be the first time I jump my palace, since this start really isn’t worthy of a palace. I will also deliberately keep some cities small to allow others to grow to size 7 and give good republic unit support. Pumping this many settlers will be a chore without food bonuses yet.
The presence or absence of neighbors is unknown for now. I pity anyone who moved the initial settler north and now has to deal with a landlocked capital on an island. I also wish this was C3C and I could build curraghs.

Major challenges for the ancient age:
Research Map Making.
Explore and find the neighbors.
Nurse a near-ICS city placement with no food bonuses but fish into a bunch of size 7+ republic-worthy city-states.
Secure the wine and at least one other luxury.
Colonize all the neighboring islands before someone else does.

Part II - Duh? What’s a map? (Researching and building on the island)

I discovered pottery in 3250 BC and began building a granary. From there, research went into writing (discovered in 1600 BC after 40 turn research since raising it did no good) and then map making (discovered in 1200 BC at 100% research). In the mean time I kept pumping settlers and military police out of Athens. Other cities built granaries first, then units and settlers/workers. By this time all the grassland was roaded and mined and I was beginning work on the forests and plains.

Part III – Sour grapes no longer (Settling the Archipelago)

With map making discovered, I immediately switched prebuilds over to harbors and galleys. When the first galley was constructed it set sail to the west, promptly getting attacked by two barbarian galleys and finding something very disturbing…

This is annoying. While these barbarian islands will ultimately be useful for target practice, they’ll probably consume a few galleys in the process before I get astronomy.

With galleys available I continued to pump settlers, this time ferrying them to the islands once I ran out of room on the main island. In 710 BC I founded my first island city, Argos, on the grape island. By 90 BC I have founded a total of 15 cities on the starting archipelago and am turning my eyes toward the outlying islands.

Part 4 – The journeys of Odysseus (Meeting the Barbarians, ahem, neighbors)
As soon as I get MM, I try to send out galleys to explore, but have bad luck with them sinking. I am not particularly worried about early contacts because this is regent and they aren’t likely to be too terribly advanced. It isn’t until around 300 BC or so that the Greek hero Odysseus sails over the horizon and successfully reaches a barbarian (ahem, foreign) continent and meets the Persians. He is shocked to find that not only do they not speak Greek, but they’re actually more advanced than the Greeks. How did this happen? Fortunately, in 270BC I trade them my newly acquired Republic for a bunch of ancient techs. I also acquire a map of their continent and set sail to meet the other neighbors. Next I contact Rome, who is further behind in tech and willing to trade a bunch more. Once the bartering is done I have contacts with Carthage and Arabia, as well as all the ancient technology and most of the gold in the known world. I get Engineering as my free medieval tech.

QSC map:

Tech path:
Pottery(3250 BC)
Writing(1600 BC)
Map Making(1200 BC)
Philosophy(1025 BC)
Code of Laws (?)
Republic (270 BC) Revolt immediately, 3 turn anarchy
Everything else traded from Persia and Rome.
Engineering (110 BC) free tech

Wonders - Lighthouse in 190 BC in Athens, to aid exploration and as half of a wonder-triggered golden age.

dvandenberg said:
[ptw] - OPEN

I move North twice and settled for rcp-3.

Horz moves are 1, diagional are 1 1/2. So two of your cities are at 4 unless I'm looking wrong. And I may be looking wrong.

Predator

I've decided to call this game the "Angry Sea-Farmers Gambit". The basic plan is to use all the coastal tiles around the start area as a non-irrigated grassland with a river-road bonus. You are getting 2 commerce from every tile, plus a bonus when you get to Republic.

Using an ICS city layout, (RCP=2, then 5) and no food bonuses, you are betting on max research to get to a MI tech that let's you roll over the opponents. I plan on getting to Feudalism and using Medieval Inf then Knights to get a Dom win in this game. This turned out to be a good pick for units when no horses appeared. I'm going to squeeze out settlers and settle the maximum number of city sites, build a harbor in every town and then library to get border expansion.

I researched Writing, Map Making, Code of Laws, Philosophy then Republic. I got Republic in 390bc and revolted for a 5 turn anarchy. I had no contacts at the time.

I initially planned on building the Great Lighthouse to increase my galley speed and allow me to get to off our little archipelago and onto the main landmasses. But even with most of the BG tiles on the main island, I was looking at 28 turns to complete it. I realized how shield starved we actually were with so little land and that the GL was not worth it for this game.

I managed to lose 5 or 6 galleys before one finally made contact in 250bc. I was able to trade Republic, Literature plus a total of 60gpt for the remaining AA techs and entered the MA in the same year.

QSC stats:
9 cities
22 population
5 workers
4 granaries
2 harbors
1 barracks
1 warrior
2 galleys
Alpha, Pottery, Writing, Map Making, Phil, CoL in 9 turns.
No contacts

StanNP

Attachments

• GOTM40_1000bc.jpg
    GOTM40_1000bc.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 398
PtW Open Class

QSC Stats:

5 Cities
Pop 9
5 Warriors
2 Hoplites
4 Workers
1 Settler
Barracks
2 Granaries
Colossus (1100 BC)

Research:
Pottery 3300 BC
Writing 1830 BC
Philosophy 1450 BC

Cities:
Athens 3950 BC
Sparta 2470 BC
Thermopylae 2190 BC
Corinth 1790 BC
Delphi 1200 BC

Initially I had thought about skipping Pottery and hoping to get it in trade with another civ, which changed in the first move of the first turn. I moved the worker N which revealed water on three sides of our landmass. The settler went NW and settled. Guessing I was on an island I decided to research Pottery.

I made several initial mistakes, the biggest was attempting to go for Philosophy first. I’ve gotten so used to playing Chieftain and Warlord levels where I always reach Philosophy first I had assumed it would be no problem. Whoops! Obviously I wasn’t the first to research it so this set me way back in seaward exploration.

I learned Map Making 3 turns after 1000 BC and immediately stopped all research. My two builds in Athens and Sparta switched to Galleys and I began exploring hoping to meet other civs to catch up in the tech race. Ah my surprise to find out there was no one around. I started my research back up heading for Republic so I could boost my economy as I tried to send out suicide galleys. Oh how bad luck rode me the whole way. The dozen or so galleys I built all sank the first turn except one (I hope this was allowed to state, my apologies if it was not).

I had built the Colossus in Athens early as I wanted the additional commerce. I attempted to build the Great Lighthouse but was beaten to it, can’t remember by who. As I recall I switched it to the Forbidden Palace and eventually to the Great Library. I typically don’t build the Great Library but was afraid I had fallen behind in techs and would need it to catch up whenever I did meet someone. Hehe, this would end up being a minor mistake later due to my forgetfulness.

At this point I stopped with the suicide galleys and began building up my infrastructure in preparedness for Republic. I can’t remember what the year was when I learned Republic but I immediately switch the government and found I had a 1-turn anarchy! Yes, good luck for once! After Republic I headed for currency so I could get marketplaces and then on to Construction. Everything seemed to be looking good at this point, at least economy wise. It was here I realized I had forgotten to send out any galleys lately so I began my luck process again.

In 590 AD one of my galleys finally met the Zulu. At this point I was only needed Polytheism and Monarchy to finish off the Ancient Age. Believing I was way behind in techs I was rather shocked to learn they were way behind me in technology. Trading with them to get contacts with Egypt and the Babylonians I found the Babylonians were the only ones who were my scientific equals, and even then they were missing several of the AA techs. Trading between these three I brought myself into the Middle Ages as well as the Babylonians. This is another mistake I made. Having forgotten that I had built the Great Library I traded off several of my techs to get Polytheism and Monarchy so I could get into the Middle Ages. Had I just waited I could have gotten them for free without pulling the Babylonians into the MA as well. Oops.

A few turns later I met the Persians and through them the Carthaginians, Romans, and the Arabic. Interestingly all this time up to here I was so sure I was behind everyone in technology, guess not. The Babylonians were the only ones ahead of me and by the time I met the other 4 civs I had passed them and had the tech lead.

From the beginning of the game I had planned on a Space Race win and am still heading that direction. The one problem with this is I’m unsure about my production on this island. I plan on jumping my palace to our other small continent (large island) so I have two cores but I’m hoping to do this with a scientific leader (if I ever get one now that I’m in the lead).

Overall, I believe I'm doing poorly but at least I'm still in the game and have a good chance of winning. The whole 590 AD leaving the Ancient Age sucks. Back to the game. :)

[ptw] Predator

I took an unusual approach in this game. I deliberately kept the number of my settlements down. At the beginning of the Middle Ages, I had a grand total of 3 cities on The Rock and 2 more over on The Sandbar to the far east. Only one more was planned, an iron camp. Because of my goal – 20K – my initial build was extremely slow so I did not pack the cities in. By the time I reached the end of this era, I couldn't see any reason to build fishing villages. They don't gain very much, especially before you build expensive harbours, and would increase corruption on The Sandbar and around my Forbidden Palace, assuming that I ever got enough cities to build it. What's more, if you have the Great Library they aren't even useful for research before education. I didn't even connect the wines. Athens, my culture city, had plenty of happiness and the others could be kept in line with a few MPs.

As my goal is 20K, I was very interested in the discussion in the pre-game thread about the advantages of using your second city to attain the goal. While the Palace pre-build is certainly a huge plus, IMHO it is less important in this game than it would be at higher difficulty levels. There are big disadvantages to this approach too: more corruption in the culture city and a later start. So I decided that Athens would be my Golden Boy. I moved the settler one square to the northwest to build Marvel City on the river and the ocean. So far this appears to have been a good decision, although at the end of the era I was running out of things to build. The worker naturally started a mine.

My pre-game calculations indicated that I could have a warrior, a temple and a settler in that order without loss of shields – on the condition that the worker moved from square to square without roading, so I started research on Ceremonial Burial at 100% and embarked on this path.

In 3150BC, I learned Ceremonial Burial. It was time to make a decision about our future. I had almost finished mapping out our pathetic little rock. The only possible land bridge remaining was an unlikely connection to the east - and I would find out about that next turn. It appeared that the only way to grow Athens on this barren islet would be to build one or two cities to throw workers out to develop the land and merge into the capital. Granaries would be needed for that. Furthermore it was also obvious that, barring the bridge, mapmaking would be a priority. Pottery is not only needed for granaries but also for mapmaking so I chose it as my next tech. Actually, this is pretty obvious since the granaries would be useful even if there was land to the east but I agonized over this decision for a long time. The next turn, I was gratified (sort of) to find out that I had been right.

Next I laid out my research plan. The priorities were Literature for libraries and the Great Library, Map Making to get off The Rock and for the Lighthouse (maybe), and Monarchy for Hanging Gardens and a better form of government. In roughly that order. So...

Research order:
Pottery (already underway) for granaries
Mysticism for the Oracle
Literature for libraries and the Great Library
Map making for galleys and the Lighthouse
Monarchy for government and Gardens

If I had found someone, this would probably have changed. Otherwise, these were the plans. As we all know, I did not find anyone so I stuck with it. :lol:

After saying just two weeks ago that Republic is always better than Monarchy, I turned about and decided to choose it in the very next xOTM! :blush: Well, I still think that Republic is better in normal games. In certain variants, this is not true. AW is an obvious example. Another might be a 20K attempt made on an isolated rock? Especially when you would otherwise suffer a despotic GA??

My next question was where to place my worker factory. LOL! Since when did one worker every five turns become a pump? :crazyeye: I was tempted to place it n-n-e of the capital to gain a bit of food. Advantages: the city would go on a hill, saving a plain to be irrigated. Furthermore fish would one day be available. In the end I placed it two squares north - on a plain :cringe: - so that it could share resources with Athens. In particular, the BG two squares to the southwest would get the granary built sooner. My number one priority was to grow Athens up to size 12. For that I needed a source of citizens.

The granary duly came on board in 1950 BC and Sparta started on the first of many workers to merge into the capital. This slowly drove its own population down as its shield production exceeded its food supply. In 1700 BC, my first worker joined Athens. I believe that, as it worked its way up to size 12, Athens only grew four points on its own and the other seven came from my "worker factory". Sparta also took a moment towards the end of the QSC to build a second warrior for MP duty and another settler.

By the end of the QSC, Athens had reached size 8 and I had just built my fourth cultural building.

QSC stats:
Firaxis score: 107 Mapstat QSC: 1353 (sheesh!)
3 cities, 10 pop, 12g
1 granary, 1 temple, 1 colossus, 1 oracle, 1 library
7 techs
4 workers, 2 warriors
Culture @Athens: 424 + 16 CPT

I decided to build the Great Lighthouse before the Great Library, despite the huge difference in their cultural value. There were several reasons for this. First, the Lighthouse would be a far more useful wonder than the Library. It would help get us off this rock, which the Library would not. Getting communication with other civs would be worth a lot of culture all in itself. I would run out of things to build if I didn’t find trading partners soon. Secondly I would be more likely to get both wonders by building the Lighthouse first. The AI prioritizes Map making and downgrades Literature. Finally, the Library would provoke my GA and, by building it first, I would probably spend the whole thing in Despotism when I could be using it to build the Hanging Gardens.

In 670BC Athens attained size 12 and was making a nice round 20 SPT.

In 470BC, Persepolis built the Pyramids which provoked a cascade to the Great Wall in Babylon, but it stopped there. Whew!

In 250 BC, I was faced with a decision. Monarchy was due in one turn and the Library in two rounds. I chose to revolt on the inter-turn before the Big Building went up in order to get my GA in a better government. I drew two turns :) Unavoidably (I think), Athens starved :( but I merged another worker in to bring it back up to 20 SPT. The Great Library came along in 170BC and my Golden Age started.

Corinth and Delphi were founded at a partial RCP of 15 (!) on The Sandbar to the east, popping a goody hut in the process. I got maps. Blech. That was all for the Ancient Era. Five cities. I didn't want to build more to avoid corruption on The Sandbar – and later around the FP.

The next research track was a rush to Currency, both to give Athens something to build and for use in trading, should we ever find anyone. In 30 AD we built the Hanging Gardens, the last of the AE wonders. By this time, it became apparent that this was (yet another!) isolated start and that it was time to find trading partners using suicide galleys. I was only 1 turn from currency and didn't want to have to self-search my way into the Middle Ages. I still wasn't sure whether there was a link to lands past the barb islands because weeding out their galleys was slow work. In any case, it was obvious that there was nothing to the east or south.

Two galleys headed out into the void in different directions. One found the Egyptians in 110AD. Cleo knew The Babs and the Zulus. The other died within sight of land :( The next turn I met Shaka and waited for the Great Library to boost me out of the Ancient Era. Just in time too, since Athens had already started building a useless Harbour. I drew Engineering as my free tech. Not ideal. Either Monotheism (for Cathedrals) or Feudalism (for the Sun Tzu's pre-build) would be better.

At this point I could see that we had Iron but not Horses. This meant that if we were ever to get away from the Rock and the Sand Bar, if would have to be through the use of swords (or rather MDI). The good news is that it appeared I had found the more backward continent, since the barbs to the west looked to have had an uprising. Furthermore, I only knew 3 civs; 4 were left to be found - another indication that the other continent was likely to be more advanced.

We would have to make the long trek to Navigation (again!), yet start the attack with early MA troops. So I hatched a plan to keep these people in darkness until I finally swooped out of the blue to liberate them. They would go to war with each other while I searched out the other continent in order to find trading partners. Since the Babs were the scientific civ, I decided that they would be the victim. This would slow science down even more. All three civs have early UUs and war would likely lead to despotic GAs. Even better. So I declared war on Hammy and brought the other two in on my side. Monotheism due in 9.

I then moved on to the task of finding the other continent. There would be no more suicide runs, at least not immediately. My galley in the ZEB continent would attempt to find the other when it got close. Others would fight their way through the barbs in case a route existed that way. I also turned off science because of my belief that the others were more advanced. One more cities was planned: on Iron Island past Sand Bar. I wound not even connect the wine because of the effect it would have on corruption on Sand Bar. I have no need for one lux anyway. Athens was plenty happy with all its wonders and the other cities could be kept in line with MPs. Warriors are needed for upgrades anyway.

Culture Builds

3950 Palace
3000 Temple
1600 Colossus
1050 Oracle
1000 Library
610 Great Lighthouse
170 Great Library
50AD Hanging Gardens

Status at 150AD at the end of the Ancient Era
Colisseum due in 2
1652 pts + 38 CPT

Technology
4000 Bronze Working, Alphabet
3150 Ceremonial Burial
2590 Pottery
1910 Mysticism
1375 Writing
1050 Literature
775 Map making
690 Warrior Code
530 Polytheism
190 Monarchy
130 Masonry
50 Mathematics
130 Iron Working
150 The rest of the AE techs + Engineering

4000 - Move worker1 N to see more terrain
move settler NW
3950 - Settle Athens -> warrior
worker1 S to mine/road BG
Pottery @ max
3900 - worker1 mine
3700 - Greece builds warrior1 -> barracks
warrrior1 heads East
3600 - mine done worker1 road
3550 - warrior1 turns north
3450 - worker1 done move NE to mine/road bg
3300 - just confirmed we're on a small island
sci down to 70% pots in 2
3250 - sci down to 40% pots next turn
3200 - Pottery in Writing @ max still in 40 turns
Athens switched to granary
3100 - mine done worker1 road
2950 - road done move to 1st BG on small pennisula
warrior1 back in athens for MP
MM athens for gold, granary due next
2900 - athens granary -> warrior
2850 - worker1 road bg
2800 - athens builds warrior2 -> settler
2710 - road done, worker1 mine
2550 - settler#1 out move 2 N with warrior2
2470 - mine done -> move to grassland NW of athens
sparta founded -> worker
2350 - worker1 to grassland -> road
reduce sci due to lack of money to 80% drops 3 turns off of writing
2310 - settler #2 out of athens move 2 NE of athens on forest (I know Bede doesn't like it but it's on a river and I gotta do it)
sci back up to 100%
2270 - Thermopylae founded on forest -> collosus
reduce sci back to 80%
2230 - road done worker1 mine
sci back to 100%
2150 - sci back to 80%
2110 - athens switched to hopilite due to 2 wasted future turns waiting for athens to grow
sci switched to 90% and writing due in 3 (+0 gpt)
2070 - athens Hoplite1 -> settler
sparta worker2 -> barracks
sci down to 80%
1990 - writing -> mapmaking @ 90% (0 gpt) - 27 turns
mine done worker1 1 NW to help with Bg
worker2 road bg
1950 - worker1 help road
1910 - road done -> both workers mine
1830 - athens mm for gold settler due next turn
1790 - settler#3 out of atthens move 2 E of athens onto another forest
mine done both workers over to forest worked by Thermopylae
1750 - Corinth founded -> hoplite
1725 - workers start roading
1700 - sci down to 80%
1650 - road done move workers south 1
sci to 100%
1625 - workers start roading forest
1600 - settler#4 out of athens move 2 NE of sparta -> warrior
1575 - corinth hoplite -> barracks
1550 - Delphi founded -> barracks
road done move to forest by river
sci down to 80%
1525 - sci back to 100%
1500 - athens warrior -> settler
sparta barracks -> settler
sci down to 80%
1450 - road done move 2 NW to irrigate plain
1425 - sci down to 70% to get cash MM still due in 3
1400 - workers irrigate
1375 - MM in -> wheel @ 70% (due in 7)
Corinth switched to galley due in 2
1350 - settler # 5 out of athens to go on boat with hoplite -> galley
sci bumped up to 100%
irrigation done workers road
1325 - corinth galley -> harbor
galley takes hoplite & settler to southern wine
road done -> workers to plain by river
1300 - Pharsalos founded on southern grapes -> harbor
1275 - settler #6 out of sparta (move to NW tip of island -> galley
1225 - The Wheel in -> Iw @ 100%
Thermopylae switch to Great Light house
1200 - Knossos founded at tip of island -> worker
galley is stuck at sea
sci bumped down to 80%
1175 - galley lost at sea
road done -> workers across the river to road/mine grassland
1150 - athens galley -> galley
move galley south & see coast to the west
1125 - move to western coast right beside barb galley
why is there a 1 tile island with a mountain?
1100 - galley survives barb ambush and is promoted to vet
road done workers mine
sci up to 100% knock off a turn
1075 - galley is bombarded by 4 barb galley, survives and is now elite with 2 hp
another 1 mountain tile island????
sci down to 90% IW due next turn
1050 - delphi switched to galley
IW in -> Lit @ 90%
see iron on one tile island off of main island
1025 - mine done move to southern Bg to mine/road
1000 - athens galley -> settler

QSC stats (score 1816)
7 cities
2 workers, 3 warriors, 2 galleys, 2 hoplites
no contacts
5 + 2 free techs (BW, Alpha, Pots, TW, IW, Writing, MM)
1 granary
1 barracks

summary of rest of AT:

Contacts
Rome (550BC)
Arabs (550BC)
Carthage (550BC)
Persians (370BC)
Egyptians (50AD)
Babylonians (50AD)
Zulu (70AD)

goodie hut
610BC CB

Technology
BW (starting tech)
Alpha (starting tech)
Pottery @ 3200BC (self)
Writing @ 1990BC (self)
MM @ 1350BC (self)
TW @ 1225BC (self)
IW @ 1050BC (self)
Lit @ 800BC (self)
CB @ 610BC (goodie hut)
CoL @ 570BC (self)
Masonry @ 550BC (Arabia)
WC @ 550BC (Arabia)
Myst @ 550BC (Arabia)
Phil @ 550BC (Arabia)
Math @ 550BC (Carthage)
Poly @ 550BC (Arabia)
HBR @ 290BC (Great Library)
Currency @ 30AD (Great Library)
Republic @ 30AD (Great Library)
Monarchy @ 50AD (Great Library)
Construction@ 300AD (Great Library)
Engineering @ 300AD (free tech)

Wonders
The Great Library - 330BC
The Great LightHouse - 10BC (GA starts)

Abegweit said:
[ptw] Predator

IAs my goal is 20K, I was very interested in the discussion in the pre-game thread about the advantages of using your second city to attain the goal. While the Palace pre-build is certainly a huge plus, IMHO it is less important in this game than it would be at higher difficulty levels. There are big disadvantages to this approach too: more corruption in the culture city and a later start.

Abegweit, first of all - what an impressive start for 20K!

Your game had something which my game missed: a very strong focus on the goal, from the very beginning.

I wasted a lot of time doing the usual drill: trying to set up a settler factory to build more cities early, trying to get more food with harbours etc. Food is power, but not in the beginning of this game if you go for 20K, for sure.

This game is actually ideally suited for 20K: it's Regent so we don't have to worry about Happiness and other Civs don't have building bonuses so it's easy to beat them in production. And we are isolated so we don't have to worry about military or expansion. We can just concentrate on one city only, on just building stuff in it.

That's what you did and your results are amazing. And that's what I should have done, I realize it now. :) I should have pump workers out of other 3 cities on the Rock to join Sparta till size 12 and work terrain around, and only then worry about galleys, settlers, harbours etc.

I had only Colossus, GLH, HG, temple, libabry and colosseum in 290AD, at the end of my AA. I could have grabbed at least Oracle before GLH if I'd grown Sparta sooner.

As for your question about why designate a 2nd city for 20K. I think it's about the same time-wise if you use 1st or 2nd city, as you can't start building stuff in the 1st city until you have a 1st settler anyway, and as soon as you have 1st settler you have a 2nd city (but I forget that you managed to build a temple before a settler :)).

Palace culture in the 1st city is a bonus, but it's only +4 culture in the long run, and Palace prebuild in 2nd city saved me twice in this game. And corruption in Sparta at 3RPC was never more than 1 shield.

But the main reason I went for 2nd city was that I wanted more hills and I didn't want to wander too far before making the 1st city.

Your point about hills is well-taken. My location is excellent for the Ancient and Medieval Eras but it has less future potential. Rails and sanitation will bring it up to about 30 SPT. Hopefully it'll be thirty. Certainly no more.

Another advantage of building in your second city is that it can build the FP while the capital jumps to another continent. This is especially well-adapted to this map.

You may well catch me with industrial wonders ;)

OTOH, I plan on doing some pointy-stick building.

It just occured to me that there's another reason to choose Monarchy as your government. The level is only Regent. Do we really need the Republic/Democracy bonus to do 4-turn research? I'm thinking possibly of staying at war with weak opponents forever. This map, and level, seem like they should combine for an ideal leader farm. :evil:

Top Bottom