GOTM 69 First Spoiler -- 1AD

jesusin

Ant
GOTM Staff

GOTM 69 First Spoiler

Stop! If you are participating in GOTM69, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD.
  • Please do not name civilizations that requires caravels to contact.

Usually you hide the food. This time it's the marble.

Founded four cities, built the GLib, captured Sparta and Nottingham. Qin doesn't look to be a problem.

Cactus Pete, I thought food was fairly rare on this map... lack of seafood for one thing ;) At least there was some stone which was claim-able.

I settled 1 NE on the elephants. Not so great. Had to rely on 2 farmed flood plains for food though the 2 starting hammers were nice.

Planned for a cultural victory. My 2nd city went 1SE of the pigs to the east, and would serve as a GP farm. I set about building the parthenon here (took too many hammers, finished it about 1AD).

Tech was... different. Since I wanted cultural win, and we started with mysticism, and it's prince, I tried to get some starting religions. I got Hinduism, then went BW, some worker techs, then Judaism before Priesthood, Writing & Oracling CoL, so overall I founded 3 religions. I went warriors -> size 2 -> worker as there was little for my worker to do early game because of my teching.

I was so slow to get my 2nd settler out, that all the good spots were taken :( So I settled south and a bit west of my capital, near to the copper. Turns out that was actually a great production site, with two good food sources, copper & plains hills.

I then decided to switch out of my "all culture" strategy for a while as I needed more than 3 cities & there was little good land. The Greeks settled a site I wanted, and for some reason didn't have any metal. So a band of axemen was assembled and took a city easily.

As of 1AD they were marching towards the rest of the Greek empire, to add to my measly 4 cities (I settled a poor-ish 5th city around this time too).

Teching really poorly... but so are the AI somehow.

I settled on the Ivory on T0 and teched Agriculture -> Mining -> BW -> AH -> Wheel. I settled 4 more cities (W pig/gold/flood plains, SW corn/copper/sheep, SE copper/wheat/wine, E clam/cow) and then went into war mode. I Oracled Civil Service and then started teching toward Machinery for maces. I built a stack of axes and took out Alex (450 BC to 175 BC), keeping all 4 of his cities. I then attacked Elizabeth and as of 1 AD had taken one of her cities.

At 1 AD, I have 10 cities (5 settled + 5 captured), 42 pops, 1 settler, 7 workers (a bit low), 11 axes and a few spears/warriors. My economy is in the tank with just 89 gold and +4 gold at 0% science. I just learned Machinery at 1 AD which means that my warring will continue in earnest with macemen this time.

EDIT: All of the ice to the south was a PITA. I didn't want to bother spawn busting all of it, so instead I had to spend all game dealing with the barbs heading north to a warmer climate.

Moved east and settled on the wine on T2 (wheat, ivory, 2 FP, 3 grass hill), 2nd city west on PH with pigs, corn, ivory and later iron.
Build worker, research: agri>wheel>pottery.

1AD stats:
8 cities, pop 29, academy in cap, working 2 towns, 4 villages, 2 hamlets and 3 cottages :)
Research: sustain 60% = 86 bpt

Trade situation:
Spoiler :

Just declared on Alex and this turn (1AD) took Hun, former barb city (clam, corn, 2 incense) and Corinth (cow, rice and iron).
I think my Elephants will start marching north :D

Usually you hide the food. This time it's the marble.
Guess who traded me marble:
Spoiler :
Toku :lol:

EDIT: All of the ice to the south was a PITA.
You can say that again. :mad:

I settled on the PH after seeing the pigs. The corn was an added bonus.

Oracled CS in 875bc. I just finished MC, and I am now slow teching Machinery.

As of 1ad I have settled 5 cities, in a east-west line, 2 on each side of the cap. Captured London, Hastings, York to the north and accidentally took peace before I could get to Nottingham. Never mind, Lizzie is nerfed. I have a few stacks of axes/cats/phants and I am about to take on Toku.

China completely over expanded and has stalled on score, and is going backwards in power & GNP. If I was a bit closer to him, he would be next.

My goal is domination, and with all of that ice, this is going to be a bit of a pain.

As neilmeister I settled on PH after seeing the Pig and got the Corn as a bonus. I oracled CS in 675BC, a bit behind him, but by 1AD I have 9 cities (one taken from barbs).

Qin built Pyramids before I could think about it, and I have made a Cottage economy. Researched Education in 100BC. Original plan was (and still is I guess) diplo, hence I have made an effort to keep relations up, but that has not been entirely easy. I might need to do a bit of small warring, and Alex is the natural target in my game. We'll see. Oh, and like the rest, the southern ice has given me more barb problems than I like, but nothing too serious.

-jj-

I took the Challenger save.

I found the empire early on and I decided to troll them and declared war on them for the lulz.

Well, they paid me back. It wasn't long before stacks of Chariots, Warriors, and Axemen showed up on my doorstep. I quickly lost a Worker, a City, some improvements, and about 5 Warriors. However, I managed to get my Copper connected and slowly pushed them back.

Then, their attacks dried up--I think that Greece blocked them with their settled Cities.

I was tempted to give up but decided to stick it out and I am glad that I did--I resettled my burned City, rebuilt my empire, and had 8 Cities and a decently-sized army as of 1 AD.

It won't be a medal-winning performance, but I don't really try for those when I take the Challenger saves. My biggest opponent will be finding time to finish the game before the submission deadline arrives.

@ Mitchum: Yes, the Barbs in the south were annoying. I essentially had to Skip a couple of units' turns each turn--every time that I got lazy and fortified my border-defending units, I would be alerted to the presense of Barbs due to a red-coloured message saying something like "Your Sheep Pasture has been plundered." :)

Top Bottom