GOTM Techniques, Cheats, Rules & Discussion Thread

Is it allowable to use rushbuying to get advanced units on the same turn the advance is discovered? For instance, could I rushbuy 80 shields of a unit and switch it to a fighter so that I can get stealth fighters the turn I discover stealth?

An old trick is to start another unit a turn or two before you discover the advance you want, in this case stealth. That way, when you get the advance, you already have seed shields in the box, so just switch units to the one you want, that way rushing, or incremental rushing your unit won't cost as many coins.

This occurred if I had no availble trade commodities and waited about 45 sec and this screen popped up. It allowed me to get Salt when none was available!

Awesome find LordValuna, especially useful in One City Challenge. I see this post is about 6 years old, good job me for keeping up with all the tricks :lol:. Now here's a question. Gotm rules specify that nil caravans are allowed (rule 34). As far as i know, gotm has to be played in single player mode. First of all... can i verify that this is correct? Secondly, When i am in single player mode and i try to build a nil caravan, the game won't let me. I have to be in multiplayer for this to happen. If nil caras are allowed in gotm, but can't be done in single mode, how to i reconcile this? Could it be i am missing a single player patch? While on the subject, multi player allows a grassland road to be built in 1 turn while in my single player mode it takes two turns. Is this the way it is supposed to be, or has single player mode been upgraded without me knowing it? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

it only works with the Multi-player gold, it works in single player mode but doesn't work with other versions of the game like civ 2.42.
It really can only be used in one-city challenges, which is unfortunate, it would be very handy in a game where your doing a lot of trading

hope this helps

it only works with the Multi-player gold, it works in single player mode but doesn't work with other versions of the game like civ 2.42.
It really can only be used in one-city challenges, which is unfortunate, it would be very handy in a game where your doing a lot of trading

hope this helps

hmm,,, i have multiplayer gold (with the latest patch, 1.3) and for me Nil caras are not working in single mode, only if i open the (single player vs. ai's) game in multi player mode. For sure it works for u when u open it as a single game? And is this true for you other hard hitters out there? If so, something must be missing in mine. I want to follow up on the other questions too. Gotm is supposed to be played by opening it up as a single player game, not a multi player game, correct? When you build a grass road, it takes two turns? Also you say "it really can only be used in one city challenges".. By this do you mean it is not allowed otherwise? Thanks again for the help.

you have to had used up all your possible trade commodities and have only one city.
then when you build your next trade unit wait say 30 seconds, it doesnt work if you dont wait. If you have more than one city it will work for one of your cities but I'm not sure which, its either your newest city or your oldest city but I may be wrong i didnt investigate further

as for grass settlers take two turns to build a road engineers do it in one

you have to had used up all your possible trade commodities and have only one city.
then when you build your next trade unit wait say 30 seconds, it doesnt work if you dont wait. If you have more than one city it will work for one of your cities but I'm not sure which, its either your newest city or your oldest city but I may be wrong i didnt investigate further

as for grass settlers take two turns to build a road engineers do it in one

i have met all of those requirements and it is a one city game... there is nothing available, all three commodities are in parentheses. if game is loaded in multi player mode, i get the nil salt caravan in 23 seconds every time. but if game is loaded in single player, i wait ten minutes and nothing happens, ever. :blush:

that was a multi-player game, yes only one player active
but it needs to be a .sav file
interestingly the nil caravan works in a multiplayer game which I didnt know
I never played a OCC in multi-player mode

it might not be working cause your player #2

that was a multi-player game, yes only one player active
but it needs to be a .sav file
interestingly the nil caravan works in a multiplayer game which I didnt know
I never played a OCC in multi-player mode

it might not be working cause your player #2

hehe.. it's a multi now because the .sav wasn't giving me nil caras, so i went to multi (.net) to see if it would work there and it did. I thought i sent u a .sav. let me try again... ok here's the same save as a .sav In either case for me it doesn't matter whether it was saved as a .net or a .sav. What matters is whether i LOAD the save (either .net or .sav, doesn't matter) as a multi player game (.net) or as a single player game ( .sav). Loaded as a multi (.net) the game will give me nil salt caras. Loaded as a single player game it will sit indefinately and do nothing, never offering up the nil. Will be interesting to see if it does otherwise when u try it on your computer. Also, i'm not sure what u meant when u said "maybe it's because i'm player # 2". In case this is a point of confusion, i am the only human player whether i am loading it as a single or as a multi. Thanks again LordValuna.

Attachments

• gotm92occin1570ad.sav
    154.6 KB · Views: 247
Very interesting, I got it to work by supplying food to the population, that is I worked the grassland instead of two taxman and then the nil caravan popped out.

When you have as severe a food deficit as you had you get a a famine imimenent warning, this undoubtably changes which line of computer code is being accessed and the buggy code is avoided

Very interesting, I got it to work by supplying food to the population, that is I worked the grassland instead of two taxman and then the nil caravan popped out.

When you have as severe a food deficit as you had you get a a famine imimenent warning, this undoubtably changes which line of computer code is being accessed and the buggy code is avoided

Really impressive detection work LordValuna. Outrageously, the starvation popup was the cause :lol:. Thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

re: wild pony situation.
You could turn off all the city report functions so you don't get a famine warning and still get the nil caravan

in normal civ (ie. not OCC)
the nil caravan will work for the first city producing a caravan(newest city)
It doesn't have to be your newest city but it will only work for the first city producing a caravan. All trade routes have to be used up. If the city in question isn't a new city you will have to turn off all city reporting options!

clearly this is bug and should be disallowed. fortunately its not of practical value so it doesn't unbalance the game

1. Airbases Disallowed
(If used in lieu of mine, irrigate, RR, like here.)

The link doesn't work for me, so could someone clarify?

Also:
The unsinkable trireme/uncrashable plane trick is not allowed.

I have MGE but it won't happen by accident, will it?

[QUOTE....

Also:
The unsinkable trireme/uncrashable plane trick is not allowed.

I have MGE but it won't happen by accident, will it?[/QUOTE]

No. It must be deliberately set up to work.

Here is a link with an explanation of the airbase trick.

If I did understand the rule correct it is not allowed to have an airport on an hill (and mountain?) because an hill can't be mined and irrigated on the same time. But perhaps Ace does know better because when was decided that this trick wasn't allowed I was not on CFC.

Top Bottom