GOTM194 England Monarch

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM CXCIV England Monarch
England.jpg

Will there always be an England?

In this game, you will rule as Queen Elizabeth over the English, who are Commercial and Expansionist and start the game with the knowledge of Alphabet and Pottery. This is a Monarch-level game. The English Unique Unit is the Man-O-War, a kind of Frigate, which may be difficult to use in a planned-for manner. But there are several Great Wonders that will also trigger your Golden Age singlehandedly.

This game was created by Più Freddo.

Rule Changes

There's only one rule change other than the GOTM rule changes: Harbours are half price, i.e. 40 shields, for all civilizations.

Starting Position

gotm_194_start.jpg

Scope of the Game
  • Normal Map
  • Archipelago
  • 7 Opponents
  • Raging Barbarians

Time Plan
  • The game is released on April 1, 2024
  • Submissions are due by June 30, 2024

Game Release Page

Spoilers are free. Please use your judgement!

@The_J
@Blake00

In this game, you will rule as Queen Elizabeth over the English, who are Commercial and Expansionist and start the game with the knowledge of Alphabet and Pottery.
Important to note: England in PTW is not the same as in conquests. Strategy might be different with having expansionist instead of seafaring. Looking forward to playing this game.

This looks like a refreshingly straightforward Monarch-level game. A coastal start, wheat, gold in the hills, several bonus grasslands, and half price harbours is a nice bonus as well.

Funny though that the Man-O-War "may be difficult to use in a pre-planned manner." I've never really had much difficulty making use of it before, there tend to be ample targets to attack with it once I'm able to build them, and on an Archipelago map I'd expect that to be the case. It makes me wonder if perhaps there is a distinct lack of saltpeter nearby. Either that, or perhaps the "coast" nearby is actually a lake and we're unusually landlocked for an archipelago map?

I may just have to play some Civ on my old Windows 8.1 box and try this one out!

(Or is PTW playable on Win10? I have the discs, but assume the lack of SecuROM, which I've left enabled on 8.1, would be a problem?)

Nothing particular with the Man-O-Wars. It's just my personal bias, finding that sea battle is difficult to control.

(Or is PTW playable on Win10? I have the discs, but assume the lack of SecuROM, which I've left enabled on 8.1, would be a problem?)
PTW from the disks (I have civ 3 complete) is playable on windows 10 or 11 in compatibility mode. I will check the exact settings and post them later.

Nothing particular with the Man-O-Wars. It's just my personal bias, finding that sea battle is difficult to control.
Ah, good to know! I know sometimes the GOTMs have somewhat unique designs, and was thinking perhaps that was the case here. I generally agree with Age of Sail sea battles, it's often, "who builds the most Frigates", but I actually kind of like the Man-O-War. That 3 attack instead of 2 makes a significant difference if you can get a decent fleet before Ironclads show up!

Playing civ 3 PTW or Conquests from the CD's with Windows 10 or 11:
  1. Create a shortcut on the desktop to either the PTW or Conquest executable file found inside Program Files X86, Firaxis Games, Civilization 3 Complete.
  2. Right click on the shortcut and select properties
  3. Under the compatibility tab select: compatibility for windows xp (sp 2), reduced colors 16 bit, run as administrator.
The game should work fine with the possible exception of the opening movie and the space race movie not playing correctly depending on your video settings. Hitting the space bar during the opening movie will take you to the main menu. The following link gives help if the game crashes during a space race victory: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/technical-support-faqs.118126/#4

Attachments

• PTW compatibility.jpg
    PTW compatibility.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 11
  • PTW shortcut.jpg
    PTW shortcut.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I brought the English to an ugly spaceship victory. Barbarians were an early problem and delayed by progress, but I eventually took control of my continent and pacified the population. Carthage and Babylon were perpetual enemies, but I was too blame for the agression. The Babylonian city of Ur developed Smith's Trading Company and I coveted it enough to wage three wars for control. The first two were just barely underpowered invasions and it wasn't until the later ages that I finally gained control.
Smith194.jpg

Then the city later revolted and it was housing my entire Air Force. Catastrophe! I took it back immediately and from there worked on maintaining scientific equity with the Egyptians and the Iroquois. Overall I played poorly but pulled out a victory. I thank the creator, Più Freddo, for keeping the vital resources within reach.

Top Bottom