GOTW tips, tricks and anything else

Random Fires

Chieftain
I've often mentioned that sifting through old threads, and other sites for useful tips. Reading them shed years off my end scores. It might help to have such info in one thread in one place. Please realize I'm no guide writer or Civ expert by any degree.

Stacks; Any space occupied by more then two units is a stack. Stacks allow the ability to "select" a unit whether it has moves remaining or not.
This is pretty big, if you can maximize on this. A basic example; A settler has moved it's two spaces. If another unit also occupies the same end space, you have a stack. The settler can be selected again, even though it has used up its moves. You can now, plant a city in the same turn, and rush another unit, say a horse, gaining another 2 moves, all in the same turn.

Turns; If it's not known, or in my case, I actually forgot...(thanx RickWJ) By accessing the city screen, the auto turn feature won't engage. Maximizing what can be done in a single turn is important. Especially if you have gold available to rush a unit or need to switch worker focus.

Workers; Manual, No Growth. Since the time I've been playing, there's no need for growth, or buildings. There also appears the need to produce, or have at least one warrior first. So, the very first goal is hammers, or gold. After that, tech. Horse Tech, thus far is the only tech, and certainly the first one. This is because, as quickly as possible, you need to close the distance between you and the enemy Ai's.

Enemy Ai's; The more time it takes to reach cities, the more resistance they'll offer. Often, if you can reach city soon enough, no ones home to defend it (a city with no flag means empty, the higher the flag, the more units). Send that first warrior forward while working on tech, and remember to pick up gold along the way.

Exploratory Gold; You can not collect this on the first 4000BC turn. I'm not 100% sure, but passing through that tile on the 4000BC turn might actually disable it for prior turns. Either way, after that first turn, don't ever dismiss it. Don't go way out of the way to get it either, but if it's on the way, pick it up. A little gold can go a long way to rush a unit in the same turn. Gold is mighty useful.

Gold, gold...GOLD! Gold provides the unique ability to rush units, anywhere if you have enough of it. A city on the back nine, the units it produces to far to be effective should produce gold or tech. Using the ability of a stack, you could also sell units. Having gold at the right turn can make a huge difference. Gaining 100 gold earns settlers, can enable rush builds, or even build roads.

Roads; Myself, I rarely build them, in any mode. In gotw, I think its something to consider near the end of the game. A last city may requiring more forces to capture, and may fall sooner with one good road. Being able to combine or send an experienced army/units several spaces but only costing one move can make an impact.

Status Report! Pulling the right trigger at anytime, brings up some important info. Amount of gold, tech, what tech is being worked on, and the amount of each produced at turns end. Resource management is critical.
If your going to produce more tech then required to finish the research at turns end, adjust workers. Don't waste. Plan for what you need and when that tech will be finished.
This can also apply to building units as well, don't grab hammers you won't use. Covert focus to produce gold to be used elsewhere.

Militia; On higher levels, you start with nothing but a settler, and two moves. By placing a first city directly next to a barb village, you'll gain a militia in the same turn, and can either sell, or move that militia to gain some exploratory gold. Manage that, and in the same turn, even rush a warrior unit, taking out the initial barb, or march towards an enemy city. Also, know that there's militia aboard a galley. Note: currently only the xbox version yields 5 gold for militia, and this will likely change to 0, after the patch.

Galley; By selecting workers to a specific sea tile, your galley will spawn on that tile. Just do this before rushing or building a galley. Don't forget to adjust workers after. A galley has 2 space moves along the coastline, utilizing the militia after those 2 moves can help. Moving militia to land will give you a better view of the terrain, and find or even grab, gold. If there's no land use, put them back in the galley at the next turn start.

City Placement; Only warrior and above levels require this. As with most Civ games, the closer or more central to targets you choose the better. Keep distances and possible barb huts or exploratory gold in mind, as well as resources. You can for instance move one space away from an enemy city and plant. Quickly attacking and capturing it. You have to gauge the amount of moves the settlers use to get there, vs. other city distances, and what in those turns you could have been doing.

Diplomacy; Since domination is our goal, diplomacy has only one purpose, gold. By trading techs you gain gold to rush units, and also deprive the Ai's of doing the same. Before attacking cities, hit the diplomacy screen, and get as much gold as possible from them. This gold at an Ai's disposal would be used to defend their city. It should also be mentioned to watch what you sell! I once sold democracy and when I attacked(a turn or so too late) I was greeted with hoptites. Plan your selling and attacking.

Barbs; As you can see, barbs have there usages for the start. As with Ai's cities, the sooner you attack, the less resistance (flags can roughly indicate how many units). Sometimes it may be best to skip a barb altogether, keeping units strong, or cutting distances. However, the prizes gained, as well as the unit experience is sometimes crucial.
Settlers gained from barbs are of course a grand prize, next tech, and then gold. By setting your tech to horses, sometimes this may be the very thing given. Lastly, if you lose or about to lose a city to one, and it's in the end of the game, consider losing it. Gotw is an all offensive affair, little to no defense. The city in question disappears, so there's no city to recapture.

Friendly villages; Kinda the same. Often you'll gain horse tech if you set research before hand. Not a given, several maps haven't doled out this little bonus, various levels can also change, but its worth looking for.

Attacking; Pretty basic. Attacking cities before archery comes up is a bonus. If your facing hoptites, try to get to that city before they are even made, or make it last, and attack in force. Overrunning barbs along the way could yield some experience and gold along the way.
When you do attack cities, use the terrain. Hills are golden, but keep in mind, occupying resource tiles can effect the Ai's ability to produce defenses.

Random Seed; I avoided this as long as possible. I'm no programmer, so I don't know its real effects, only observation. The random seed seems affected by, well everything. Worker focus, unit positions,turn, how much gold you have, or what tech. This is already lengthy so I won't type every observation made, just that it affects the outcome of some battles, and what prize you may gain from barbs/huts. Changing any of the above, may make an attack go in your favor or swing the other way.

The Leaderboard; Myself, I use the leader board as a guide to what's possible. A difference of a 1000 years or more is often city placement. 500 years maybe some missed worker management, 200 maybe the random seed. It also gives me a rough idea where my units should be a few turns before that score. Bless the early scorer, they sometimes show the path.

Well hopefully it helps Someone.
Thanks go to Sigmaken, Grumbles, RickWJ, Spencer, others I may have missed, and those who reply and add to it.
If you see needed changes, or want something added, by all means let me know.
In the end nothing beats playing, my last tip.
Good luck, and good gaming.

Great job Random Fires! I am sure that this will help many to play better!

Militia; On higher levels, you start with nothing but a settler, and two moves. By placing a first city directly next to a barb village, you'll gain a militia in the same turn, and can either sell, or move that militia to gain some exploratory gold. Manage that, and in the same turn, even rush a warrior unit, taking out the initial barb, or march towards an enemy city. You can also, knowing that there's no use for it, sell militia aboard a galley.

I play with 1.20 patch on the PS3 and militia now sells for zero gold. So selling it's not useful, but using the militia for friendly villages is.

I play with 1.20 patch on the PS3 and militia now sells for zero gold. So selling it's not useful, but using the militia for friendly villages is.

This is a good point. And I missed what I should have typed about the galley. I'll try to edit this part, to address both versions.

Great work! Very helpful. I think I may now know why you always seem a step or two ahead of me (Ry Wu Li).

A few more things that occured to me- Upgrades- Blitz is often preferable to Infiltration because an extra attack the same round often prevents the AI from upgrading defenses. Also, if building a horsemen army fits into your straetegy- there is a time frame, often right before the AI has an army of archers, when you can attack with an upgraded unit (pre-army formation) or two, form the army and attack with the stronger force to clean up.

Blitz, a very good point. Let's keep this going.

Horses; As mentioned, blitz is a prime bonus to have, enabling a second attack within the same turn. Second to this, would be March, getting units there even quicker. Often the distances between you and the Ai's is the biggest enemy to be faced, and managed.
Single units are often all one needs to take cities early. Usually for me, first city falls to a warrior unit, two more cities fall to a single horse units, and the final one either a single horse, or army.

Initial Scouting; The first game is never an instant final solution. Not happy with the initial score, try to learn as much about the map as possible. Leave a city remaining and explore. Build a galley or two and scout out the coastline along the paths to the Ai's.
Especially If I lose an initial battle, I keep playing. No sense in restarting when there's more info to be gleaned. Try to learn as much about the map as possible.

Initial Capture; Since distances between cities are the greatest enemy, try to keep the first capture city's geography in mind. The more central, the better. Also, since the first city is the easiest capture, you may want to consider the Ai that occupies it.

By all means, lets keep this going. There's probably a few more things to add.
To be honest, typing this even got me playing again.

After playing this week's map, I thought I'd add a few more things.

City Screen; Pressing down on the left stick automatically brings you to the woker focus manual mode select. Basically eliminating the scrolling. Thanks to whoever pointed this out to me last week... Saves time.

Starting Civ Bonus; I've got to nail this down in regular play to be certain, but... Civs that have government bonuses do not seem to need the manual switch of government at the start or middle of play. It seems (thus far) that by hitting exploratory gold, it enables the switch without a loss of worker production/tech/ect. This is something obviously I missed, I must re-check, and/or could be a bug.

Difficulties; I've been playing various difficulties to nail down some of the differences. Each level has slight location, prize and resistance changes. While the Ai city locations and exploratory gold remain static, what and when Ai's do things can change. While a killer strat may work on Deity, the exact moves can not really be used for Emp, or King, ect.

Map; Just for completion, I thought I'd also through this in. At the Civgameoftheweek.com You can find a map of the current week. Good for double checking for gold, or some artifact you may have missed. The maps for the Cheiften level, and some might find it handy to take a look at. http://www.civgameoftheweek.com/index.html

Well I think that about covers it, from the mundane to the devious. See something missing or in dispute? By all means add it to the thread.

I read with great interest both your and RickWJ's advice (on the 2K forum) regarding placement of workers and spawing of ships. However, I can't get it to work out in this week's GOTW with the starting city placement.

It seems to work if I am entirely lakeside, but if I am lakeside and oceanside, the game seems to force me to the ocean regardless of where my workers are.

Is it just me, or maybe you can only govern the ship spawn within a specific hierarchy: worker occupied ocean > any ocean > worker occupied lake > any lake.

Any thoughts?

Umm.. Yeah, your not alone. I instinctively thought of creating a galley, and it spawned on the wrong side of the waters. Most disheartening. I must admit, I only tried the right spot, and will try the northern left next time I play. This is the first time its failed me.
It maybe possible in this instance that a controlled galley spawn won't work. I haven't been playing intensely as before, but I managed a couple of decent scores without the making of a galley.
Probably not very helpful, but at least sympathetic I hope.

Maybe you will have better luck than I did. I tried both spots, moved my starting city location, tried more spots, moved again. It wasn't until I was completely away from the ocean side that I could control where the galley spawned, but then the 'random seed' conditions for other things were so unfavorable I abandoned it (at least on King). Last weeks (the first week I played GOTW) controlled spawn went off without a hitch, but I think it may have been so because there were only ocean squares.

Thanks for the sympathy, but I'm disappointed to hear you haven't tried this week. I was proud of myself for (I thought) beating one of the best fair and square. :D

I did not think of using a galley for this week's GOTW. But I suspect using the trick of placing workers in the lake will not work to spawn the galley there if your city is also adjacent to one or more ocean squares -- the game is probably programmed to pick an ocean square over a lake square where a choice can be made.

I have to say, I was a bit "disappointed" with this week's GOTW. The last few games had some interesting challenges, whereas this one is pretty straight forward.

Yep, it seem the gaming gods have decided against choosing the spawning spot... Just when it seemed like a work around was found. Ironic considering how many times I've mistakenly spawned a galley in a lake by default in regular play. Grrr...

Well I don't know about the one of the best part, Rick and Grumbles are usually a step or two ahead(and consistently). It's from their posts and replies this little guide was derived, along with a few others. I just wanted to know how such scores were possible, and got slightly addicted afterwards. Plus someone's little comments :crazyeye:
Just imagine what things would be like if one could add a 15 character message, or icons next to their score.:p
Now having played this week's map a bit more, I have to agree, fairly straight forward.

Thanks for helping me to put the galley spawn issue to rest. You guys are amazing. Yeah, you too Random. I'm fighting to shave half a turn of my 2300 to join you at 2400 and you say

Now having played this week's map a bit more, I have to agree, fairly straight forward.

If this is straight forward, I'm glad I missed all the hard stuff.

Maybe one of you can help me understand something. My horseman reaches England, I'm one square away from the capital. On my next turn, I move next to the capital, attack, win, receive a unit promotion, and get sent back to the square next to the capital. I don't mind, because England still has a flag up, so there are more city defenders, right? On the move following, (England still has a flag up) I move into the city, without fighting, and take it.

With the Mongols, Romans, and Zulu, if I whack the last city defender from one square away, as in the England scenario above, I move into the city. Like a tank or warrior, the horseman moves into the square it has just fought for.

So what gives? Does England have another defender (or settler maybe) that it sells off at the last? Maybe, but then the flag should go after the sale, right?

Now, your sympathy (and anyone else's) would be appreciated.

Hi, Aaron. Nice score -- yer gettin' close.

If the defender has either a spy or a great person in the city (settled or not settled), then that will cause the flag to show, and that unit will necessitate an extra move to capture the city (unless your attacking unit is strong enough to do an "overrun" attack on the prior defender). Being Elizabeth, with the early culture, I am guessing she probably already popped a great person and had it in her city (which you should discover after the fact because then the great person becomes settled once you capture the City).

You just need to get to her a turn sooner, I guess . . . ;)

btw, I just loaned my xbox to a friend in need for a week, so I will not be able to see or respond to any messages sent to my profile for a bit . . .

Thanks for the encouragement Rick.

That's the odd part, I didn't see any type of unit in the city, settled or otherwise, after I captured it. I'll look again to be sure, because I think anything would get me the half turn I need for 2400. And brother, if you can show me how to get there earlier, I'll give you a dollar and buy you a cup of coffee. I attack Elizabeth in 2800, but can't enter the city until 2700.

I'll keep trying, and with your xbox loaned out, the rest of us may have a chance at this weeks Diety! :worship:

No dollar and coffee for Rick! I found a way to do it faster - now I have to capitalize on it. Tried a few times already, and with 2 horseman against both the greeks and mongols @ 2600, I still can't break 2300. :wallbash:

Yes so sorry about that guys have been really busy and have had some RL incidents that have slowed me down

Top Bottom