Governer Management & Families

Dayvit78

Chieftain
I like both the conquering and management sides of 4X games.

So I'm interested in optimizing my cities, and that means getting some good governors. For example, let's say you have a coastal city and add a +50% nets governor. I like going through the cities to make sure the governors are the right fit despite limited options, and also making sure my leaders get enough passive experience by being assigned a role.

So my problem is (and I swear I've asked this before, but maybe I just dreamed it): How do you get enough people to be eligible for governorships? From what I can tell, my main bottleneck is that it has to be the right family, but is this always the case? What about your ruler's family - can they join any city or only if they have some "blood" from that family? How do you ensure enough supply from all three families to have governors?

A similar question about generals and army units (which seem to have family allegience, yet don't require a family member as general??)

So my problem is (and I swear I've asked this before, but maybe I just dreamed it): How do you get enough people to be eligible for governorships? From what I can tell, my main bottleneck is that it has to be the right family, but is this always the case? What about your ruler's family - can they join any city or only if they have some "blood" from that family? How do you ensure enough supply from all three families to have governors?

A similar question about generals and army units (which seem to have family allegience, yet don't require a family member as general??)

So the first answer, and one that can be forgotten at times, is don't assassinate so many of characters. :)

The general rule is that the Leader can hold ANY Governorship in the nation, and other Governors must come from the same family as the city, and you'll never have enough characters to fill all roles. Generals are a little different as I think you need one of the military traits too.

And some of it is based on luck. Sometimes you'll have games flush with characters, other games you'll struggle to get a couple of generals for your invasion.

To be a governor or a general of a city or unit, you need to be of the same family.

But also:

1) restriction based on the archetype of the character:
  • to be a General, the character need to be a Hero, Tactician, Commander or Zealot
  • to be a governor, the character needs to be Builder, Orator, Judge or Scholar
  • (Diplomats and Schemers can't be either)
2) Age restriction: a character needs to be over 18 to be either General or Governor (or council member), need to be younger than 50 to be assigned as a general, and you can't stay a general if you're 60 years old or older.

3) Exceptions:
  • Your leader can always be assigned as either general or governor regardless of Archetype and family
  • Courtiers can always be assigned as either generals or governors regardless of Archetype and family

age restrictions always apply for both roles

Ok good to know I wasn't missing any thing obvious.
In this sense, it's kinda like CK2 where you have to make sure to marry everyone early so there's enough bodies in the future :)

Ok good to know I wasn't missing any thing obvious.
In this sense, it's kinda like CK2 where you have to make sure to marry everyone early so there's enough bodies in the future :)

Oh I actually hadn't considered this! I always ignore the bachelor[ettes] unless they are the heir

Top Bottom