Goz -10 Slow Motion is our Potion

Bede said:
We can combat the conversion risk in two ways: big enough garrisons and national culture. Removing Gloucester on the island to our hands will also help with the northern towns.
This sounds like a very good idea :hammer:

Liverpool on its island is a problem to which I have no solution.
Is this a one tile city?

Liverpool is a 3-tile island, with a few rushed galleys we can get over there and raze it/replace it. I think that's the only town we need there and if we go further we can let the AI settle by Leeds and Bristol.

Then we might get Gloucester and Norwich for peace?

I've got it, but would like some comments before I play (tomorrow)

We have enough power to do a final dent in Lizzy's armor though and even if I would like her gone, reducing her to 2 cities sounds good to me.

We need technology.
To obtain technology, we need multiple peace deals.

Therefore, i think we should make peace now with england, settle that town outside danger radius and get technology for peace.

Then during the 20 turns of peace, we have 2 options. We can either build our empire and do some self research (wich should be possible with decent economy control) or attack another one and make peace before we go back to england again.

Because our millitary strength is not all that compared to the other AI's, i think we should use these 20 turns for building up our empire and preparing a naval invasion on england.

Then, depending on the situation at that moment, we can decide to either take out england completely or leave them 1 small city and have more tech for peace.

Note, since ICS is not very profitable, there is no hurry in taking ground. It is more important to take control of this game. We should do that by becoming tech leaders and having a superior army. We can do that by the plans i just outlined.

I'm with goz on this one.

If we can remove the English capitol at Liverpool we have secured our north from cultural pressure, then we get down to cases and start building the economy.

Get rid of Lizzy! Then we are the technical laggard and we can follow the other civs up the tech ladder when everything is cheaper.

Sorry, I went to my niece's first birthday yesterday.

Pre-turn - Change some buildings and tiles, we need a couple more markets. I also favor growth before builds.

Find a slave irrigating, where 2 native workers already try to mine :) Otherwise, we're looking alright.

Byzantines looks very Industrial.

I don't think it will be that easy to take London. At size 10 we need a few knights over there and then we need galleys too. We are way behind in techs and we have to do something now.

I skip the idea of taking out more english cities and sit down at the table with Lizzy. Peace and ROP for Education, PP and 6g.

This opens up trade-routes to the 4 civs we couldn't trade with before. Buy silks from America for Currency and Construction and we can lower luxtax a notch.

Reneg peace with Spain, give Education and 78g for Invention.
Reneg peace with Carthage, get Banking, Astronomy, WM and 16 for our only iron.
Astronomy to Spain for Gunpowder and 90g.

We have 4 sources of saltpeter! :banana:

Reneg peace with Hittites, trading salt, WM and 131g for Chemistry.
Chem goes to Sumeria for Navigation, WM and 22g.

Byz, Carthage, China and Hittites all knows Metallurgy and Physics, so no chance for a two-fer.

Again Carthage is our trade-partner and get salt for Physics, we can't get Mag. or Metal from anyone for all our gold. Start max possible research on ToG, due in 14 turns.

Buy WM from Theodora for our WM, 4gpt and 8g.
Sell it to China for 4gpt and 43g :)
Get another 64g for maps.

Now what? I have no idea.

460AD - Move the N settler 2 steps back and we have iron again.

ToG got cheaper, China and Hittites just left the middle ages, they won't sell it for all our gold and gpt. Hannibal still miss the tech.

480AD - Theodora moves in some troops into our territory, that can only mean one thing. As we have a peace-deal and they are breaking their end of the bargain, I exploit the fact.

Get Tog and most of their gold for huge gpt and tell them to leave. War of course.

Steal Metal from Hittites for 900g, give that and ToG plus 15gpt to Hannibal for Magnetism and we're industrial. One scientist on Steam for now, we need gold for rushing.

Byz is stronger than us and have rifles, we need to confuse them a bit while we try to survive. Embassy with Abe and I send them and England against Theodora. Lizzy give us 14gpt for the alliance and Chem.

Rush some stuff and organize our troops for the assault.

490AD - We kill a couple of units and get a leader -> knight-army. I wish we had cavs.

Sell Magnetism to Sumer for 16gpt. Isabella gets our WM for 6gpt and change.

500AD - Kill 3 Byz on defense.

Kill a couple more with elites, no luck this time.

I left some units with movement, so next player can sort out the defense.

Lizzy have a few gpt if we want to sell Physics or something, I didn't trade maps this turn either.

This will be interesting :)

Screenie of the front, they haven't got a plan yet and have some units here and there.

Attachments

• goz10-500ad.jpg
    goz10-500ad.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 201
Goz, you da man. Great trading, too bad Theodora feels the need to make things unfriendly. I think we'll be able to survive alright though. Whats our cannon count looking like?

gozpel said:

You know Lee would be crying right now if he saw what you did :nono: :rotfl:

Now that's the goz of old...way to go it! :thumbsup:

Watching you trade is like playing 3d chess with a wookie!

goz, that was a classic round of trading. That ranks up there with some of the best Charis and Moonsinger trading.

Once we can get a handle on the front, we need to narrow it by marching forward. More artillery needed. More settlers needed. We need to raze and replace.

nice trading. from Edu to almost the IA :) looks like bugs is up.

@ MadViking: yes, it's the Phillipines. Map by Phillipe, reduced by Lord Parkin (aka Emperor) of at EVO. I requested that the original map be reduced by Lord Parkin about 6 months ago with an SG in mind :)

Moonsinger and Charis are in a different class and would probably got the other techs as well. But I'm such a cheapskate and don't won't to give away gpt freely :)

It's not even hard to do trading with everything set up :) Spain lacked Edu, but got other techs and Carthage didn't have iron/saltpeter. Especially iron is of great value and who of us haven't paid big gpt just to have it for 20 turns? If the AI doesn't have a chance to get it in other ways, they pay out of the nose too.

Kaiser_Berger said:
You know Lee would be crying right now if he saw what you did :nono: :rotfl:

I can imagine the wrath :) Fortunately in this case I knew I would have another source next turn.

grahamiam said:
from Edu to almost the IA

We are in IA. :banana:

Our military is something like 14 knights (is that included in the army?), 20 MW, some spears and pikes. Half a dozen muskets, 6-7 cannons and a couple of catapults. And those 20 warriors too :lol: I din't check for archers, but I think we have a couple.

Research is with one scientist, some decent gpt and with a few turns of rushing we should be able to go on attack.

There are only 5 Byz cities W of us, clean that up and we'll have the capitol in sight :) I think raze/replace and start some ICS sprawl in that area, irrigate everything and get pop up to 6, so we can use lots of scientists. Also, the area before their capitol is sortofa choke, if we get there, they're beat.

Around the core we're doing alright, but our cities will need banks and unis there after the war or before if we can afford to start building them. It's important that we don't start dropping to fast in techs. Start to consider placeholders for ToE and Hoovers, we'll be there in no time.

We are sitting tight having deals with all our major opponents, except China, I think. Even if they happen to join Byz against us, they have to travel a bit to reach us. I'm kinda happy with the 2 MP rule here now, even if it cost a bit.

We have over 25 towns, so the game is "normal" now, with the exception of 2 MP's per city. I think we would've over-run Byz easily, if we played normal from the beginning, so at least they got a chance.

Wow. It was a good choise of me to let the trading wait for the next player :goodjob:

gozpel is the man! This is what I like about Civ3 so much. Skillful trading and even the deepest tech hole can be covered up.

ThERat said:
gozpel is the man! This is what I like about Civ3 so much. Skillful trading and even the deepest tech hole can be covered up.
lurker's comment: So true! It simply can't be accomplished in cIV and I miss it. Goz you da man.

Bugs, it looks like you have your share :) Up in both my games.

WackenOpenAir
Bede
gozpel - Just played
Sir Bugsy - UP
bed_head7 - on deck
ThERat
Kaiser_Berger
grahamiam
Offa

Pre-flight – No changes

IBT – Kill five Byzantines around Oxford.

510 – Hastings has a lot of cultural pressure. Starve it down. Start marching towards Newcastle. Upgrade a mountie. Change Canterbury to a settler.

IBT – We get the Heroic Epic message

520 – Kill two Byzantines and march towards Newcastle.

530 – Continue the march. Kill a musket, lose a mountie.

IBT – Spain signs an embargo against us.

540 - @ Newcastle – Artillery hits home three of four, kill the three defenders and…

IBT – Well, I miss Vineland. It riots. :smoke:

550 – Start a march towards the Byzantine Choke.

Passdown – OK there is a lot of stuff here.

1. We need to abandon and replace Hastings. There is a settler ready to do that.
2. I would settle a new city where the knight army stands.

Here is a campaign plan:

The army and associated force west of Oxford needs to control the Caesarea choke point. If it can raze Caesarea all the better.

I have been starting to gather units in Tyendenaga. From there we can work up the coast and start narrowing the front. Make sure in both cases you take the artillery with you. It is the only way you have a chance against the rifles.

I just noticed that we have an undefended city, Ganogeh. There are two warriors heading in that direction.

We almost have all upgrade worthy Mounties upgraded. Don’t upgrade the elites.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/Goz10,_550_AD.SAV

I need a skip, as I cannot do this game justice at the moment, as I have too much school related stuff to do. Sorry.

Top Bottom