[Graphic Mod] Varietas Delectat v9.2 [civ specific unit sets]

This unit is going to be for Germany. I don't have the Germany/HRE problem in my mod because there is no HRE in my mod. I am replacing them with the Franks.

In the mod I am working on I am giving Germany mixed unit models for the medieval era to show that Germany wasn't unified during that period, and I just wanted to know if you are interested in getting some of the units. I am not finished yet but this is a small example of what I am talking about. This is my Bavarian Skin for one of the Knights I will be using...

Just thought I'd see what you thought or if you were interested in getting your hands on these units when I'm finished.

Thats a damn fine looking unit. Ill want to use it as well. And are you having problems with your units displaying out of place and rotated all crazy like in the screenshot? Nothing really wrong with that as long as it works, but I bet its caused by lots of unneeded scene roots.

In the mod I am working on I am giving Germany mixed unit models for the medieval era to show that Germany wasn't unified during that period, and I just wanted to know if you are interested in getting some of the units. I am not finished yet but this is a small example of what I am talking about. This is my Bavarian Skin for one of the Knights I will be using...

Just thought I'd see what you thought or if you were interested in getting your hands on these units when I'm finished.

Great unit! Of course I'm interested in getting my dirty hands on each and every unit you make!
How's Kamehameha and Salamasina goin'?

Great unit! Of course I'm interested in getting my dirty hands on each and every unit you make!
How's Kamehameha and Salamasina goin'?

I accidentally upgraded to 3.19 prematurely (i.e. before I finished module pack III, which Polynesia was in) so I put them on hold because I am just going to add Polynesia as a base civ to my next mod (The Iroquois, Israelites, and Franks will also appear as base civs, Native America and the HRE will be removed) so they will be "finalized" then. Partially because nobody has offered to reskin Salamasina, I could just upload them as they are now though if you really want them.

Let me just say that I love this mod! It makes it feel more real with visibly different cultures. I have a noob question though. How do I enable the additional civs shown in the first post? If I install them all, will they all be available at the same time or are they selected like mods?
Thanks again for this great work! :)

I accidentally upgraded to 3.19 prematurely (i.e. before I finished module pack III, which Polynesia was in) so I put them on hold because I am just going to add Polynesia as a base civ to my next mod (The Iroquois, Israelites, and Franks will also appear as base civs, Native America and the HRE will be removed) so they will be "finalized" then. Partially because nobody has offered to reskin Salamasina, I could just upload them as they are now though if you really want them.

Oh, I can wait. I just saw your preview pictures and thought they're going to be great. (Ekmek or bernie14 for the texture?)

Let me just say that I love this mod! It makes it feel more real with visibly different cultures. I have a noob question though. How do I enable the additional civs shown in the first post? If I install them all, will they all be available at the same time or are they selected like mods?
Thanks again for this great work! :)

Thanks!
You can just install the civs and then VD will have them included when you play.

To my understanding this will not make my load time between turns slower because it does not change gameplay, hopefully im right.

No, thats not correct. Simple gameplay changes in xml take the least amount of processing. What takes the most is new Python code, especially code which makes frequent checks (whether it changes gameplay or not), and adding graphics for the game to render.

BUG adds alot of new Python that makes frequent checks, and VD is of course nothing but graphics additions to the game.

No, thats not correct. Simple gameplay changes in xml take the least amount of processing. What takes the most is new Python code, especially code which makes frequent checks (whether it changes gameplay or not), and adding graphics for the game to render.

BUG adds alot of new Python that makes frequent checks, and VD is of course nothing but graphics additions to the game.

Sorry to jack your thread Avain, but this statement is something I wanted a bit more expansion on.

Frekk; so python adds a lot to the processing? In my last mod I added Inquisitors, but each religion has its own inquisitor (and I added seven new religions, so there was a total of fourteen inquisitors, all with their own python, which also I assume had to check for the other religions when they entered a city). As I write this I think I have answered my own question, but basically you are saying that, in this case, I put a lot of extra unnecessary python that I could have made more streamlined or does it not matter since, even if I only had the ONE inquisitor coded in the same processes have to occur regardless? I ask this becuase it would be a lot easier on me just to use the old python code since I am not much of a coder by any degree.

To make up for that off-topic question here is a little preview of the Nuremburg-skinned Crossbowman I made. Its a simple retexture of Bakuel's Italian Crossbowman. Like I said before, once I finish these up I'll post them for you to use if you'd like.

Frekk; so python adds a lot to the processing? In my last mod I added Inquisitors, but each religion has its own inquisitor (and I added seven new religions, so there was a total of fourteen inquisitors, all with their own python, which also I assume had to check for the other religions when they entered a city). As I write this I think I have answered my own question, but basically you are saying that, in this case, I put a lot of extra unnecessary python that I could have made more streamlined or does it not matter since, even if I only had the ONE inquisitor coded in the same processes have to occur regardless? I ask this becuase it would be a lot easier on me just to use the old python code since I am not much of a coder by any degree.

Don't be afraid of using Python!
It all depends on the actual code.You can have multiple types of Inquisitors for each religion and still be far better than a single inquisitor using bad code.
If you are adding code to functions that get called rarely or only in certain cases, or adding optimized code that requires little processing time, you're good to go.

Frekk; so python adds a lot to the processing?

depends on what you consider a lot :)

I would say as a rule of thumb that it takes about 10 times as long to do the same in Python as in the dll, execution speed wise. So moving changes to the dll is always better than keeping them in Python (from a performance perspective).

In my last mod I added Inquisitors, but each religion has its own inquisitor (and I added seven new religions, so there was a total of fourteen inquisitors, all with their own python, which also I assume had to check for the other religions when they entered a city). As I write this I think I have answered my own question, but basically you are saying that, in this case, I put a lot of extra unnecessary python that I could have made more streamlined or does it not matter since, even if I only had the ONE inquisitor coded in the same processes have to occur regardless? I ask this becuase it would be a lot easier on me just to use the old python code since I am not much of a coder by any degree.

The answer here probably depends on your actual coding. If you did it right, there should not be any difference between 1 and 14 Inquisitors. To me they just are graphical changes to the same unit (but I have no idea what your or the original Inq. code looks like, so I might be wrong).

Its actually the opposite of what you are thinking; there is only one graphic shared by each unit, but there are fourteen different units in the XML and in the python.

Its actually the opposite of what you are thinking; there is only one graphic shared by each unit, but there are fourteen different units in the XML and in the python.

Actually that is what I was thinking, I might have put it badly however.

There had to be 14 different inquisitors in xml (one for each religion, right ?), whether they use the same graphics or different ones is moot.

I assume every Inquisitor does the same check based on his own religion against all 'other' religions. So depending on how you code it, you either end up with 14 blocks of code which are very similar or one block of code which uses the own religion as a variable.

Even if there are 14 blocks, one applies to each Inquisitor only, so in theory one block should get executed per inquisitor, irrespective of how many blocks there are (maybe with a little if statement checking if the current Inq. is of the appropriate type and otherwise skipping the block).

Again, without knowing the coding I cannot tell, but at least in theory there is a way that 1 block or 14 blocks would not really make a difference in execution speed as one block is executed each time while the others are not (albeit the block being executed varies).

Alright, thanks for clarifying that. I'll go ahead and PM you the code in order to leave VD's thread alone. Thanks for your help, I don't really NEED this fixed now since I am still in the early stages of my mod, but I had better get it figured out before I forget. A friend of mine who actually is learning Python at his University helped me, so I'm pretty sure its fine, but nothing wrong with double-checking.

Hi Avain,

I just started a new game of QC to try out the new odyssey game speed & after the first turn every civ's first city had legendary culture....is that supposed to happen?

Hi Avain,

I just started a new game of QC to try out the new odyssey game speed & after the first turn every civ's first city had legendary culture....is that supposed to happen?

No, it's a bug.

I don't know when you plan on updating VD (probably after Bakuel's next round of units), but I have posted an American and a Dutch industrial unit set that I think would look good in your mod. Check them out!

I got an error trying to unpack the VD .fpk file. Is that by design or do I need a particular program?

I find the game runs better without using mods and just sticking stuff into the assets folder, but I want control of what I do, so I want to examine all of the xml files myself.

Not too distract too much, but:

@Capo: python for something like the inquisitor wouldn't slow the game all that much I don't think, because it's not running checks all the time, just when you do an inquisition mission. BUG draws alot of performance because it's checking stuff and updating the screen pretty much constantly, but if you've used it you know that even it doesn't it slow it all that much. Just saying that slowing the game doesn't depend on whether gameplay is changed or not; you could change tons of values in xml and it might not have any effect at all on turn speed. The biggest things are additional graphics and frequent python checks, which don't necessarily impact gameplay at all (eg featuring ethnic units + more leaderheads + interface stuff like BUG).

Top Bottom