• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[GRAPHICS] Sleek landscape

Xong

Chieftain
This is to 3d-ize Civ3 by copying the sleek design of the terrain in CIV and CiV. This is my first attempt so bear with me :)

this is the un-edited flat version (credits to Womoks)

and the cleaner version

Changes:
Bumped the terrain up a bit
Mountains have more detail
Shallow waters
Cliff between coast and sea
Land bridges cut off

This is just partial. Im still planning to make a full new mod. Critics and suggestions are welcome :D

THE UPDATED VERSION

Tiles matched up
beach is a more cluttered than before to add realism
removed cost-sea cliff

Attachments

• sleek terrain.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 187
  • Updated.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 1,001
First of all Xong, great job! Terrain work is difficult.

I don't think the sloping cliffs into the sea are for me, unless it were a mountain or hill bordering the water.

I do like the way the mountain flows much better with the grassland, but how does it look on desert or tundra?

I like the shallow waters look quite a bit - same with the loss of the land bridges. Tiny shallows can be easily crossed and protected, and not having the land bridge looks more realistic in most cases.

I'd love to see how the final mod looks, and am curious if you will be modding some of the other terrain packs out there?

Keep it up - even if some of the changes aren't for me, I am sure many others will love it, and we need as many choices as possible :D

I really like the look of the cleaner version. In particular the coasts meeting the ocean, and overall curvy and natural look of the terrain are really well done.

My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that the tiles need to match up with each other better.

Keep it up. :)

My only complaint, and it's a big one, is that the tiles need to match up with each other better.

Keep it up. :)
Agree. Anyway the more you try, the more you improve, so keep on trying ! We need new creators here.

i completely agree that the tiles need to match up, updates will be posted soon, still editing the terrain tiles as we speak.:D

For the mountains, they look good in tundra and desert tiles too. the base terrain of mountains is always grassland so it should blend well.:)

Nicely done. I like the coast cliffs but there should also be beaches. Cliffs are not good for amphibious landings, but not all coastal tiles should be beaches either. It would be nice, if coastal tiles could be divided into 2 categories ( cliffs and beaches ) with separate attributes. Also I don't see any hills.

Nicely done. I like the coast cliffs but there should also be beaches. Cliffs are not good for amphibious landings, but not all coastal tiles should be beaches either. It would be nice, if coastal tiles could be divided into 2 categories ( cliffs and beaches ) with separate attributes. Also I don't see any hills.

theyre not actually cliffs, theyre just steep beaches if you observe carefully in civs 4 and 5.

there is a hill though on the north-west side of the mountain:)

I'm liking this so far. Still thinking about whether I would use it though. :scan:

Great improvement indeed! Keep up the good work!

I bow to this work! Incredible! Just what i wanted! Best terrain pack everrrr!:worship::clap::hatsoff::woohoo::band::bounce::beer::thanx::thanx:

Question: Can you please upload the Cliff between coast and sea wCSO.pcx, i really like it, i think its better with it than without it, thanks. The original pack does not have the coastal sea cliff like you show on the first screenshot.

Just checking - do I need to dl both the zips or just the Updated one?

Only one i think, the upload as 1 file less IIRC...

thank you. The more I look the more I like this one. I'm going to put it into my CCM game.

Top Bottom