• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Great Artists With Multiple Great Works

Sophocles

Chieftain
While thinking around for some of the possible options for the new Great Artists, Musicians and Writers, I thought about all of the major ones that had multiple great creations that could be Great Works. How do you think Fraxis will handle those Great people that could have muiltple Great Works accositated with them, like Homer (The Iliad and The Odyssey), Shakespeare (any), Beethoven (any), van Gogh (any), Rembrandt (any), Faulkner (Absalom, Absalom!, The Sound and the Fury, As I Lay Dieing), Hemingway (The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls, A Farewell to Arms), Tolstoy (War and Peace and Anna Karenina), etc. There are three possible ways that I could see them go with it:

a) Simply leave out any of the Great Artists, Musicians or Writers with multiple works, as there are of course binders full of great people with only one really great work (Fitzgerald a prime example of this). This option seems like the least likely to me since it would involve leaving out people like those listed above (Homer? Shakespeare? Leave e'm out!)

b) Only have Great Artists, Musicians or Writers have their most famous or reconizable achievement as their singular Great Work, such as The Sound and the Fury for Faulkner or The Old Man and the Sea for Hemingway, which are what they were most lauded for and are famous creations. The issue here would be for great people like Shakespeare and Homer, how would or could you choose between Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, or The Odyssey and The Iliad, respectfully?

c) Have it so that Great Artists, Musicians or Writers who had multiple options for a Great Work choose a random one from a list, and have that be their Great Work for that game. For example, say you get Shakepeare as a Great Writer, in one game he'll make Romeo and Juliet and in another he makes King Lear. This would be by prefered option since it opperates in a similar fashion to how great people themselves work (randomly each time they pop) and would add variety to the Great Works and wouldn't force less main stream ones from being made (King Lear doesn't exist, BNW says so, Shakespeare only ever made Romeo and Juliet!)

d) Have it so that Great Artists, Musicians or Writers with mulitple options for a Great Work can appear more than once in a game, with different versions having different Great Works, an example being popping Homer as a Great Writer with The Iliad as a Great Work and later on in the same game popping another Homer as a Great Writer with The Odyssey as a Great Work. This option simply seems confusing and could end up as really akward if one game all you ever end edup with were Shakespeares as your Great Writers, and would hamper varity in Great Artists, Musicians and Writers.

- Arrangement in Gray and Black: Portrait of Artists Mother (Whistler's Mother) by James Abbot McNeill Whistler (Great Artist)
- Emperor Taizong Receiving the Tibetan Envoy by Yan Liben (Great Artist)
- Henry VIII by Hans Holbein the Younger (Great Artist)
- In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg (Great Musician)
- Macbeth by William Shakespeare (Great Writer)
- Sri Shanmukaha Subramania Swami by Raja Ravi Varma (Great Artist)
- Starry Night by Van Gogh (Great Artist)
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Great Writer)
- The Mona Lisa by Da Vinci (Great Artist)
- Tower of Babel by Pieter Breugel the Elder (Great Artist)
- View of Toledo by El Greco (Great Artist)
- Water Lilies by Claude Monet (Great Artist)

This is the list of confirmed Great Works.

They keep saying Shakespeare gives you Macbeth, so I suspect that he'll only give you that one. At a minimum, it's a lot more effort to have Morgan Shepard record a quote for Macbeth, a quote for Hamlet, a quote for Romeo and Juliet, etc. when you also have many other artists you want included.

If Mozart shows up, will it have Eine kleine Nachtmusik, Don Giovanni, or the Magic Flute?

If Goethe shows up, will it be Faust or Erlking (which might be given to Schubert)?

If Smetana shows up, it would very likely be from Ma vlast.

If Franz von Suppé shows up, very likely will Light Cavalry Overture shows up.

However, Carl Orff died too soon (in 1982) or else we would have got O Fortuna from Carmina Burana.

I wouldn't be pleased if Mozart's Great Work were Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, since, while it is extremely famous, it really isn't a full-blown "masterpiece," just a pretty and elegant little string serenade.
I also wouldn't really appreciate the Requiem as it wasn't completed by Mozart.
Personally, I would want Mozart's Great Work to be either The Magic Flute, Don Giovanni, or either the 40th or 41st symphonies. My top pick would be the finale to the 41st Symphony, but that's just because it's my favorite.

I'm predicting Beethoven will either have the 3rd, 5th, or 9th Symphony as his Great Work. My favorite is the 3rd, but I think the 9th is the likeliest of the three.

I wouldn't be pleased if Mozart's Great Work were Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, since, while it is extremely famous, it really isn't a full-blown "masterpiece," just a pretty and elegant little string serenade.
I also wouldn't really appreciate the Requiem as it wasn't completed by Mozart.
Personally, I would want Mozart's Great Work to be either The Magic Flute, Don Giovanni, or either the 40th or 41st symphonies. My top pick would be the finale to the 41st Symphony, but that's just because it's my favorite.

I'm predicting Beethoven will either have the 3rd, 5th, or 9th Symphony as his Great Work. My favorite is the 3rd, but I think the 9th is the likeliest of the three.

Since it looks like only a few seconds of a great work will be played it will likely be the one with the most recognisable snippet. (when it comes to classical music I'm not sure which that would be unfortunately)

c) would be my preferred option as well, but sadly all the indications so far are that we are getting b).

It's easy to understand why they went down this route: if you are going to include more than one work for some Great People, where would you stop? 2? 5? For someone like Shakespeare I could rattle off the titles of at least 10 plays which are all (IMO) worthy of Great Work status (and I have to say Macbeth wouldn't have been my first choice!) so they'd end up having to pay Morgan Sheppard quite a lot of money ;) It's a neat idea though, and on one level I'm sad we won't be seeing this.

For Mozart and Beethoven, I predict Don Giovanni and the 9th Symphony respectively. Mozart's Requiem is my favourite thing in his repertoire, but the criticism of it not being entirely his work is a valid one. As for Beethoven, part of me would like to see the Moonlight Sonata, but not really in the same league - plus, Germany's music is already inspired by Beethoven's 9th. A snippet from the Ode to Joy chorus would be recognisable to most people I'd have thought.

I would have expected Hamlet for Shakespeare, personally, but they've already said it's Macbeth, and I've seen nothing to indicate that any of the artists are getting multiple options. With so many artists to choose from, I doubt they'd waste the space to give anyone multiple representation anyway. So it looks like it's option B.

I wonder what would be for J.S. Bach? The Brandenburg Concertos? The Well-Tempered Clavier? Toccata and Fugue in D minor?

It would also be great to have Pachelbel in with his Canon in D.

I hope they do multiples for the really big artists, Shakespeare in particular. It would just be wrong to not have The Tempest in Brave New World after all.

That's a great point about The Tempest.

I think it's most likely that each Great Artist will be associated with only one work each. As has been mentioned, Shakespeare was used as an example about a dozen times in the interviews and previews, and never any work other than Macbeth mentioned.

If Mozart shows up, will it have Eine kleine Nachtmusik, Don Giovanni, or the Magic Flute?
I think Eine kleine Nachtmusik is the most iconic Mozart piece, but they might go for the first movement of symphony 25 if they're Amadeus fans.

Tchaikovsky has to be in, but for what? It's cliche, but the Nutcracker could work, but they should use a serious piece like the Pas de Deux or Journey through Snow and not the Trepak. Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, the Pathetique, and lots of others could work too though. Also, Hemingway has to be in, but for what book?

Tchaikovsky has to be in, but for what? It's cliche, but the Nutcracker could work, but they should use a serious piece like the Pas de Deux or Journey through Snow and not the Trepak. Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, the Pathetique, and lots of others could work too though. Also, Hemingway has to be in, but for what book?

1812 Overture, plz.

Top Bottom