Great Leaders?

Malys Faisent

Croissant King
I've only ever seen a GL as the Persians, and only then once my CSU wins a battle...I have never seen them as anyone else, even with lots of fighting or playing a military civilization. Hell, I've never even seen the AI get one.

Anyone have a suggestion or seen something different or similar?

I know that they are extremely powerful units, anything that can Rush Build a wonder in one turn is incredible...not to mention you need one to found an army to be able to win and then to create more armies...the fate of a nation without armies when everyone else has them is too horrible to consider.

Does anyone notice special strategies to gain GLs?

I've played a game with the romans in warlord dif. and got 4 leaders by 1500 a.d. Whenever an elite unit won a battle, I had a chance to get a leader. Generally my legions generated leaders because I conducted military campaigns early in the game.

I can't seem to get leaders either.

I am in my second game as the French also..(just love look'n at Joan, ya know?).

It's 1970 and not one yet. The Russians have one...I saw it! But nothing here.

Is it a factor of the Civ? Is Joan just too peace love'n to merit an Army? I know I can build the Pentagon when I get there to spead things up, but I thought I'd have one by now.

Any hints?

Just keep fighting, some treads have mention it taking 20 combats at elite level to get a GL. Militaristic civs get GLs a lot faster, at least I did in my one game as the romans. As the Persians in my current game I just got at GL when some Zulu warriors (i have all the strat resources-heh heh heh) attacked my fortified elite pikeman.

everytime your elite units fight there is a chance they can become a GL (at least I think that is the way it works), however, it is a very small chance. It maybe that as time progresses (# of combats) those chances improve.

I tend to play non-militarisic civs (Greeks, Persians, Babs) the best way I have found to get a GL with them is to have vet troops to start and to keep my troops alive by having them fight from good defensive positions. In my current game I have captured a Zulu island that contained a single city. I filled it with troops, and they keep moving against the island with warriors and bowman. Within three rounds I had a pikeman turn into a GL. My Immortals have all gone to elite quickly, but none of them have gone to GL status yet.

I have not had a GL appear as a result from a fight with Barbs, has anyone had this occur?

Now I see.....

I don't have that many Vet's.... so elites are even harder to come by. Since THEY are the seeds for GL's.... I gotta start build'n more barracks.

Thanx for the education Gray....

no prob, try to build Sun Zu if you can. That way you get barracks in every city. Before that I only build maybe two barracks and then build most of my troops from those two cities. If you cannot get Sun Zu, then def. build a barracks in at leat one or two of your border cities, and in several of your core cities. There is no need for one in every city, as you can produce troops from a couple of cities and move them to other into cities which will support them (unlike civ2).

try to always build troops out of cities with barracks, or ships out of cities with harbors---vet troops are always one leg up on regs, and only a step away from elite.

another way to get troops elite quickly. find a barb fort that is producing warriors/horseman. find a defensable position like a hill or mountain and fortify some troops there. the barbs will come right at you and before you know it you will be elite. also, periodically check with your military advisor. he will tell you if barbs are massing near one of your towns and you can move troops over that way to 1. make sure they do not disrupt your roads 2. to protect your towns and 3. to have troops near by for the barbs to attack so they your vets can move quickly to elite...

i have found that esp after you have iron, barbs like to generate a stack of 8 horseman. i have had spearman and pikers go from vet to elite in one round while repulsing the weak attacks from this wave of horseman. on the opposite note, i have also had that band of 8 horseman over run a city with only one spearman, losing 5 barbs-but that still left 3 barbs to each steal 100 gold from me

hope this is helpful...

Originally posted by Gray
Just keep fighting, some treads have mention it taking 20 combats at elite level to get a GL. Militaristic civs get GLs a lot faster, at least I did in my one game as the romans. As the Persians in my current game I just got at GL when some Zulu warriors (i have all the strat resources-heh heh heh) attacked my fortified elite pikeman.

everytime your elite units fight there is a chance they can become a GL (at least I think that is the way it works), however, it is a very small chance. It maybe that as time progresses (# of combats) those chances improve.

I tend to play non-militarisic civs (Greeks, Persians, Babs) the best way I have found to get a GL with them is to have vet troops to start and to keep my troops alive by having them fight from good defensive positions. In my current game I have captured a Zulu island that contained a single city. I filled it with troops, and they keep moving against the island with warriors and bowman. Within three rounds I had a pikeman turn into a GL. My Immortals have all gone to elite quickly, but none of them have gone to GL status yet.

I have not had a GL appear as a result from a fight with Barbs, has anyone had this occur?

I play as the Greeks...I've had 4 in my current game and I 'built' one army at my military academy.

The Aztecs kept crossing my borders and crossing my borders and crossing my borders so I finally stomped on them with 50% of my reasoning being that I wanted a shot at a GL. I finally got one, as Gray said, after about maybe 20 battles. I immediately made an army and then won a battle with that army to allow construction of the heroic epic. Once that occurred, I found GL's DO appear somewhat more 'frequently'. I was also allowed to construct the military academy which permits you to build armies without a leader...which is nice. YOu can then go ahead and use leaders to rush wonders.

Have not had a GL appear due to a victory over the Barbarians yet.

Top Bottom