Great People Suggestions

Great... Artist? Kurosawa, Akira: Produces 2 great works (movies), automatically builds a building (movie theater) where activated.
Helped the Japanese movie scene get going in the first place, so auto building a movie theater right? Maybe it could be a normal "theater" before movies exist, and create 2 "plays" as great works rather than movies, depending on what era you get him. "Yojimbo" and "Seven Samurai" as plays instead of movies is a fun, Civ like "alt history".

Great Writer: Agatha Christie: Produces 2 unique great works that generate culture and money at the same time
That the best selling novelist in history, by far, isn't already on the great persons list is kinda weird, and also "unique" great works are a bit more interesting than having them be all fungible

Great Merchant, Walt Disney: Allows production of unique amenity building "Theme park" that generates +happiness, +culture, and +money.
I mean, everyone knows who Walt Disney is. Also Amusement Parks apparently go back quite a ways, at least as an evolving train of thought, to stuff like chartered fairs a thousand years ago, so "Walt Disney" could upgrade an amenity type building in almost any era really.

Last edited:
In my data base I have Walt Disney as one of my Alternate Great People, the idea being that he can appear as either a Great Artist (Movies) or Great Merchant. Here's my write-up:

Modern Era:

Great Merchant Walt Disney (Walter Elias Disney)
American entrepreneur in entertainment. Created a huge film and animated cartoon production entertainment business from 1928 to 1964 CE, and in 1955 CE opened Disneyland, the world’s first Theme Park entertainment center.

OR

Great Artist Walt Disney (Walter Elias Disney)
American animator and film producer. A pioneer in film animation, also produced both animated and live films, holds the record for greatest number of Academy Awards won for film production (22).
Great Works: (1928 - 1964 CE) all films
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Fantasia
Mary Poppins

(And, obviously, 19 others!)

Since Disneyland, and later Disneyworld, were both built 'from the ground up' from bare ground, I would not make the Theme Park an Upgrade from an earlier building, but a tile-filling Improvement built by 'expending' Disney, creating a tile that provides Tourism, Happiness (X Amenities) and Gold - and the amount of all of them produced goes up with the number of Aerodromes with Airports within X tiles (OR the Amenities are applied to Every city in your Empire with an Aerodrome/Airport, but that has the potential to be very OP)

Alternate Great People can appear in either of the two lines: Great Merchant or Great Artist, but whichever is grabbed first by a Civ eliminates the other from the game - can't have a cloned Doppelganger Disney wandering the map!

On your other two:

Kurosawa only died in 1998, or just over 25 years ago. That means any game company may have to deal with copyright issues depending on who holds the rights to his works now.

Likewise, Agatha Christie (or Lady Mallowan) died in 1976, or 48 years ago, so her works are probably also still under copyright restrictions. The laws on copyright protection make any modern artists in almost any medium hard to use in a game - or anywhere else. If it weren't for that I'd be arguing strenuously for the inclusion of J. R. R. Tolkien and Walt Kelly as Influential Great Writers/Artists!

Since Disneyland, and later Disneyworld, were both built 'from the ground up' from bare ground, I would not make the Theme Park an Upgrade from an earlier building, but a tile-filling Improvement built by 'expending' Disney, creating a tile that provides Tourism, Happiness (X Amenities) and Gold - and the amount of all of them produced goes up with the number of Aerodromes with Airports within X tiles (OR the Amenities are applied to Every city in your Empire with an Aerodrome/Airport, but that has the potential to be very OP)
I made a mockup ability of Walt Disney for Civ 6 (as a hypothetical Great Entertainer):
Entertainment Complexes and Water Parks provide Gold and Tourism based on adjacent Theater Square bonuses.
Kurosawa only died in 1998, or just over 25 years ago. That means any game company may have to deal with copyright issues depending on who holds the rights to his works now.
Not really sure if it would be feasible to include any Great Works of Film for those reasons. Kurosawa could still appear, considering he is a Great Person in the 2010 Civ boardgame. Similar to his ability in that game he could grant a boost of culture to your civ every time another civ acquires a great work of writing? :dunno:

I made a mockup ability of Walt Disney for Civ 6 (as a hypothetical Great Entertainer):
Entertainment Complexes and Water Parks provide Gold and Tourism based on adjacent Theater Square bonuses.

Not really sure if it would be feasible to include any Great Works of Film for those reasons. Kurosawa could still appear, considering he is a Great Person in the 2010 Civ boardgame. Similar to his ability in that game he could grant a boost of culture to your civ every time another civ acquires a great work of writing? :dunno:
Given that many of Kurosawa's great films were film versions of other Great Works, by Great Writers like Shakespeare, Dostoyevsky, Maxim Gorky, and Edgar Allen Poe, that would be a near-perfect asset for Kurosawa

Top Bottom