Grounds for invasion?

Would you support an invasion of a nation that meets the criteria outlined in the OP?

• Yes.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • No!

Votes: 56 75.7%

• Total voters
I can't argue against the fact that the mass extinction of humans would end the problem of crazy humans, I'll grant you that. :)
Since survivalists would be some of the only people to survive, nuclear apocalypse would actually increase the proportion of lunatics...;)

Imagine how much human suffering we could avoid if we got rid of the human race!

Note: hypothetical scenario! :D

Would you support invading a nation that has...
a) weapons of mass destruction?
b) has threatened to use aforementioned weapons?
c) has experienced election fraud on the local and state - and allegedly national - levels, with poor compensation by the federal government?
d) has been either unwilling or unable (due to bureaucracy and incompetence) to aid its citizens in the event of a major natural disaster?

Simple yes or no.

You need to further define option B as in the conditions by which they would use WMDs. I would applaud any country using WMDs under condition that it pre-empted imminent use of WMDs against myself, and under which no other option was physically possible. I'm pretty selfish that way.

I'd say no to D, generally. I'd consider saying yes if said country refused aid offered it by other countries, or if it abused aid given to it. But again, it's not an unconditional thing.

Or how about if a crazy group within their neighbors' borders hijacked a plane and blew up an important building in you country, killing a few thousand?

Theirn neighbors or their friends. You know, those guys who were friends with terrorists were probably terrorists too.

That settles it. Any country with a crazy group gets nuked.

Nuked? That's not far enough. We should glass them!

a) weapons of mass destruction?
Don't care.

b) has threatened to use aforementioned weapons?
If a threat against you or you allies is credible, but that has nothing to do with WMDs. If they are credibly threatening you, that is valid reason.

c) has experienced election fraud on the local and state - and allegedly national - levels, with poor compensation by the federal government?
Don't care.

d) has been either unwilling or unable (due to bureaucracy and incompetence) to aid its citizens in the event of a major natural disaster?
That is its choice.

The only situations I might consider it justified to invade another country are:
a) They directly attack you/your allies, or are aiding someone who did.
b) They threaten you/your allies, and this threat is credible. Diplomatic posturing doesn't count.
c) You go in to support a significant opposition force, with popular support, actively opposing the government. And by significant I mean one that can, and does, stand up in open battle against the and effectively controls a notable portion of the country. To put it simply: if the people are doing the job themselves, you can go help.

1) Cause must be Just

Yes, I do think that someone should invade the US. But in all seriousness, the only reason for an invasion should be if the government is committing major humanitarian atrocities, and war would definitely and absolutely have a more favourable outcome. If a government cannot provide humanitarian aid for its people in the case of a natural disaster, who is to say that anyone else could do it better?

I believe I've already stated what I consider to be valid grounds for invasion of another country. :p

The unlawful occupation of Danzig?

I need more information.

The unlawful occupation of Danzig?
I'd be cool with honoring alliances, upholding historical or nationalistic claims, acquisition of economic or geopolitical advantages, obeying the voices in my head (or other peoples' for that matter), providing a distraction for the plebs so they don't notice their atrocious social conditions, acting on subventions provided by other states (in essence, using the entire country as a mercenary), using war as a release so the military doesn't cause domestic issues, provision of the military on foreign ground to prevent it from causing collateral damage on native turf, and, of course, gloire.
That would seem to fit.

"Invasion" generally means sending in troops, so no. At the very most, spend a large amount of money on training hackers to screw around with their defense computers and ICBM launch system. If there is a high risk of them shooting the WMDs soon, outfit home country with Tesla Cannons, and try to take them out their silo's with strategic bombardments before they can launch and hope for the best.

So, Dachs is basically always in favor of war? Against just about anyone?
Possibly. :mischief: There are a few reasons that I forgot to put in there, like suppressing revolutionary social or political tendencies in other countries, because at the time that was written I was on a 17th century kick. :crazyeye:

I'm pretty sure this is a trick to get people to say they'd invade the United States.

Don't answer! It's a trap!

The bottom line is that it is never justified to unilaterally invade another sovereign country.

Possibly. :mischief: There are a few reasons that I forgot to put in there, like suppressing revolutionary social or political tendencies in other countries, because at the time that was written I was on a 17th century kick. :crazyeye:

I'm surprised you didn't tack on "Manifest Destiny, fools!" Just for good measure. :)

Top Bottom