Growing Fog of War

astog

Warlord

Latest version is v4. Read the changelog for more information

Subscribe: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=476953193
Civfanatics Downloads: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=24108

The basic idea of the mod is, fog grows back instead of staying uncovered the entire game. This forces the user to not only have a wide empire but also a good network of scouts to re-explore territory.

Main Features
1) Fog could grow back and hide the map, making civs and barbarians feel scarier. The probability for the fog to grow depends on the exploration-type techs you have researched. (Optics, Compass, Astronomy, etc).
2) Fog stops growing after Satellites Tech is researched ( by default).
3) Forts built by you, block fog from growing. Requires Community Patch to work. This makes Roman Legions unique ability useful.
4) The radius of uncovered plots vary depending upon defensive buildings built in that city. Wall and castle, each reduce it by 1.
5) If the AI builds defensive wonders like Great Wall, and Great Firewall, their entire land is enveloped in fog.
6) Forts and Citadels provide extra range, to units garrisoned on them. Big thanks to @zArkham4269 suggesting this.
7) Most features mentioned above can be tweaked, or turned off. Look at Discussion Page for instructions and all available settings.

Forts Stop Fog
Spoiler :

Defensive Wonders Envelop the Civ in Fog
Spoiler :

More Screenshots
Spoiler :

Guide to the Settings:
Spoiler :

Navigate to Core/LUA/GFOW_FogScript.lua. Open it with notepad, but I recommend using Notepad++, or Sublime Text.

These are the things you can change:
1) Base Number of plots to fog (int)
2) Radius around the city to keep uncovered (int)
3) Radius around the forts to keep uncovered (int)
4) Whether friendly forts block fog (true/false)
5) Should discovered resource icons be hidden (true/false)

6) Probability to fog before Optics (float)
7) Probability to fog after Optics (float)
8) Probability to fog after Compass (float)
9) Probability to fog after Astronomy (float)
10) Probability to fog after Navigation (float)
11) Probability to fog after Flight (float)
12) Probability to fog after Radar (float)
13) Probability to fog after Satellites (float)

Note: Using these probabilities you can change when you want to the fog to stop growing.

14) Whether to fog a Mountain (true/false)
15) Whether to fog a Barbarian Camp (true/false)
16) Whether to fog an Ancient Ruin (true/false)
17) Whether to fog a Resource (true/false)
18) Whether to fog a Coastal tile (true/false)
19) Whether to fog a Ocean tile (true/false)

20) Which takes priority, Terrain or Resource (true/false)
21) Should fog be connected (true/false)
22) Whether Great Wall should fog the civ (true/false)
23) Whether Great Firewall should fog the civ (true/false)
24) Does Wall reduce distance of uncovered tiles (true/false)
25) Does Castle reduce distance of uncovered tiles (true/false)
26) Does Arsenal reduce distance of uncovered tiles (true/false)
27) Does Military Base reduce distance of uncovered tiles (true/false)

It took me a long time to implement all of these settings, but in the end, I think it was worth it because now the user has choice to change things to what he likes. Don't be afraid to experiment, and also if you have suggestions for more settings, please comment.

--======================================================

Required Mods:
1) NONE!

Recommended Mods:
1) Community Patch by Gazebo

Used for implementing some features. Highly recommended, but the mod will still work if you don't download this, only some features will stop working.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=528034
(Does not require Community Balance Patch)

2) JFD's Exploration Continued Expanded
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=543208
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=438187330

--======================================================
Changelog

Spoiler :

v4 Changes:
1) Fixed bugs related promotions given by forts and citadels.
2) The radius of uncovered plots around cities depends on the defensive buildings built by that city.
3) Defensive wonders (Great Wall, and Great Firewall), completely envelop the country in fog (in respect of other players)
4) Tweaked the probability algorithm so that, as you discover more area, there is more varied "fogging". To put it simply fog grow will be more varied.
5) Added a few more settings, in the script.

v3 Changes:
1) Fixed a bug where forts would give dead units promotion and game would crash.

v2 Changes:
1) This mod no longer requires Community Patch to run, but some features might require it to work properly.
2) The fog now has a probability to grow. This probability decreases as you research exploration techs like Optics, Compass, Astronomy, etc.
3) Forts, that you built, will stop fog from growing. This feature requires Community Patch.
4) There is now a fully flushed out settings panel within the FogScript, where you can tweak almost anything within this mod. From what types of plot to fog, probability of fog (related to techs), number of plots to fog, etc. I highly recommend navigating to Core/LUA/GFOW_FogScript.lua, and tweaking these settings. There are a lot of them.
5) Removed "Reveal Map" goody , for obvious reasons.
6) Forts and citadels provide units extra sight. Special thanks to @zArkham4269 for suggesting this.
7) Fixed bug, where resource icon remains, even if the fog rolls over it. There is still a setting within the script that allows you to re-enable this.

Last note: Just wanted to thank all those people that visited, subscribed, rated my mod. If you have any suggestions please comment, and let me know

(Don't let the fog consume you)

Thanks JFD! Your Exploration MOD is awesome, but I have noticed getting to level 5 with scouts in my mod is easy. Is there a way to give experience to scout for discovering a city, rather than a unrevealed plot?

Top Bottom