GUIDE: Adding new units

...hard...partially it's really hard, but the main point is rather the time. Merging all the files together, compiling and testing just needs time, which probably no one is willed to invest.
Forget about it then, I'll just make it a healing unit, or perhaps I'll later on create a new promotion JUST for the unit :p

You could do it the other way around: Make it a normal unit, but don't allow any other civ to build it.
This would mean, that you create the unit in a normal way, but that you then give other every civ a "NONE" UU for this unit.
Ok, so I've gone into my civilizations/CIV4civilizationInfos.xml file and I've put:
PHP:
<Unit>				<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_MUSKETMAN</UnitClassType>
					<UnitType>NONE</UnitType>
				</Unit>
Is that correct?

I'm not sure if i understand you here...:confused:
Forget about it, your explanation above seems easier to do ;)

There are 2 different things to look at here.
First: If the .nif model is in one folder, then it can also only use 1 skin. If you want a model which uses more than one skin, then you have to copy the whole folder and replace the default skin.
Second: How to get these than ingame without creating a new unit is another thing, for this please take a look at the explanation here.

Hi The_J,

I've been looking at the tutorial you showed me, but I've gotten nowhere, except for more and more xml exceptions! :mad:
Do you mind, breaking it up for me, especially during the first steps, because I think I've messed up somewhere there. I mean, I don't understand why just adding another texture would be so hard!
Thanks!
TT

Hi The_J,

I've been looking at the tutorial you showed me, but I've gotten nowhere, except for more and more xml exceptions! :mad:

Tell us the exceptions and post the related XML part, we'll then take a look at it.
You have to understand what you did wrong.

Do you mind, breaking it up for me, especially during the first steps, because I think I've messed up somewhere there. I mean, I don't understand why just adding another texture would be so hard!
Thanks!
TT

I guess the texture itself is not the problem? Does the changed unit work in Nifscope?

I get an XML error on loading concerning added units, but I really can't figure what is the problem:

[359309.437] info type UNIT_IL2 not found, Current XML file is: xml\Civilizations/CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml

CivilizationInfos seems OK:
<Units>
<Unit>
<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_FIGHTER</UnitClassType>
<UnitType>UNIT_IL2</UnitType>
</Unit>

as well as the UnitInfos:
<UnitInfo>
<Class>UNITCLASS_FIGHTER</Class>
<Type>UNIT_IL2</Type>
Description tag completed, ART_DEF also
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_IL2</EarlyArtDefineTag>

ArtDefines_Units:
<UnitArtInfo>
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_IL2</Type>
<Button>,Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/Fighter.dds,Art/Interface/Buttons/Unit_Resource_Atlas.dds,6,10</Button>
<fScale>0.5</fScale>
<fInterfaceScale>1.0</fInterfaceScale>
<bActAsLand>0</bActAsLand>
<bActAsAir>0</bActAsAir>
<NIF>Art/Units/IL2/shturmovik.nif</NIF>

Everything look good to me. Any idea?

I found the error. My folder was stupidly named "Unit" instead of "Units"... :blush:
Thanks by the way for your solicitud...

OK, If it's in there somewhere I apologize, but:
Adding Units is Old Hat for me, but graphics are a problem... I asked specifically for a unit graphic, but how would I add this to the art folder so that I could refer to it in the XML
Thank you

Hopefully i don't have to redirect you now to another thread :D.
So for clearification:
- Do you want to know how to give a unit a custom graphic
- or do you want to know how to make the units diverse, so that a japanese swordsman doesn't look like a french swordsman?

Give a unit a custom graphic, I can make the xbow rider unit, but I wouldlove for it to actually look like the one I requested, so how would I add the graphic itself?

Not yet, but I could. I just need to know how to make the graphics accessible to the XML... does that make more sense? for example, I have the unit in the XML files CivIVUnitInfos and CivIVUnitClassInfos, but I need to know how to add the graphics so that it looks like the unit is supposed to in-game.

ummmmmm.. ok? My brain is kinda addled, so I'll probably get it in a day or so. Is there somewhere in particular I need to put the .nif and .kfm files?

Hey, I'm trying to make it so one of my units can carry multiple "specialcargos", but it's not letting me do it, not will it let me add multiple domains for its "cargo". What do I need to do or is it not possible?

Top Bottom