GUIDE: Adding new units

Hey there. Well, the problem is that I'm using a mac and this tutorial is for Windows!:gripe: Can anybody help me with this?

Ok, I'm having problems. I'm trying to add some flavor units to Rhyse & Fall of Civilizations.

I am mostly working off of the information here under section 3.0 "Unit Art Styles".

I went into Civ4civilizationinfos.xml, and changed the <UnitArtStyleType> for Germany to "GERMAN" and Russia to "RUSSIAN".

Then I copied Civ4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml from the BtS main folder into Rhyse's (it wasn't there). I copied the EUROPEAN style and used it as the basis for my GERMAN and RUSSIAN ones. Then I added the appropiate <StyleUnit> entries. Finally I went into Civ4ArtDefines_Unit.xml and added all the new units.

Nothing.

So after poking around I figured maybe it's not recognizing my new styles? I went into GlobalTypes.xml and added new <ArtStyleType> entries but I noticed there weren't any entries for <UnitArtStyleType>.

Still, nothing shows up. What am I doing wrong here?

Sovarn: could the essentials of the following be included in an updated post #1?:confused: (IMO, a huge timesaver...);)

i had this same issue when i first tried to make some custom units. the secret is, your NOT looking for art0.fpk =D

the files your looking for ar in your main civ4\Assets directory. your looking for the files Assets0.fpk, Assets1.fpk, Assets2.fpk and Assets0.fpk. open the pak program by firaxis, and click pak>unpack and unpack each of those four files in a directory. (dont try to "open" the fpks, as you cant, which was where i got stuck for the longest time, again PAK>unpack).

now you have a directory just jam packed with all the textures/toys used in civ4. happy modding =D

Yea I didn't see any - so how would one go about extracting the needed files for say a curiasser or any of the BtS UU's?

Just incorporated a unit, However - It appears twice in the options for production, not exactly why

EDIT: nvm fixed

Just incorporated a unit, However - It appears twice in the options for production, not exactly why

EDIT: nvm fixed
Hey, I have the very same problem, how did you fixed it? (mine appeared when I added a Unique Unit to replace the duplicated unit)

Well after i got it to work I went into the unit classes file and got rid of the custom class, then I returned the unit to the class it replaced - in my case a spearman.

I guess this reassigns the unit to actually be a unique unit - I may have also gone to the civilization infos and changed the unit class back to spearman too - but I'm not looking at the file right now so the last part I mentioned might be a bit off

Well after i got it to work I went into the unit classes file and got rid of the custom class, then I returned the unit to the class it replaced - in my case a spearman.

I guess this reassigns the unit to actually be a unique unit - I may have also gone to the civilization infos and changed the unit class back to spearman too - but I'm not looking at the file right now so the last part I mentioned might be a bit off
Thanks!, I can't remember if thats my case, but hopefully it will help. :smoke:

i have this wierd prob...i was trying to create my new custom civ with a custom UU. i got everything done, but when it came to build my first UU in game it crashed to the desktop.
decided to try out with some custom civ posted in civ fanatics and the exact same thing happens....crashes without saying why or without any message.

can anyone help me out?

i have this wierd prob...i was trying to create my new custom civ with a custom UU. i got everything done, but when it came to build my first UU in game it crashed to the desktop.
decided to try out with some custom civ posted in civ fanatics and the exact same thing happens....crashes without saying why or without any message.

can anyone help me out?

I had that problem too, Try making the unit class over and checking how its defined, then try placing some in Wordbuilder and not making them, then redefine the class and see if that works - thats what I did - not sure if it will help

I had that problem too, Try making the unit class over and checking how its defined, then try placing some in Wordbuilder and not making them, then redefine the class and see if that works - thats what I did - not sure if it will help

i found out what i was doing wrong... i forgot to add the unit to the formationsinfo file. after i did that it worked with no probs.

Okay, after quite a bit of mucking about, I managed to get all this to work, but now I'm trying to do something more.

I want a unit to go obsolete, but not be upgradeable.

Specifically, I'm attempting to make it so that a player can no longer build predreadnought battleships once dreadnoughts are available, but I don't want predreadnoughts to be able to grow bigger guns and thicker armor by a simple infusion of cash.

So, is there a way for the game to recognize the dreadnought as a newer version of the predreadnought without allowing upgrades?

Also, long-time lurker, first-time poster.

&#304; could do add new unit in civ3 editor...add new to civ4? this is very hard...im not pc programmer.....is there any program as civ3 editor???

Top Bottom