[Guide] Towards a fail proof chariot rush

DrakenKin

Prince
All tactics discussed in this guide have been tested successfully (and repeatedly to iron out RND elements) at Immortal difficulty, Normal speed, using Darius/Persia to rush Montezuma. This means Immortals instead of chariots, but the same principles apply to both.

Success here means taking the enemy capitol, or multiple secondary cities, or both.

My goal with this little study was to identify :
1) the key tactics to a successful rush
2) the key RANDOM factors that can get in the way and how to ELIMINATE them
3) as a result of #2 we won't rely on luck and will plan to overcome worst case scenarios

In a nutshell :
1) Timing : you have to attack before 1000BC, even sooner if you see an opening.
2) Production : you have to make 10+ immortals, 15+ is possible with favorable terrain.
3) Logistics : you have to identify optimal rush routes to target cities and take them less than 3 turns after you start the war. Advanced scouting and dividing your troops also helps.
4) Sabotage : cut the enemy access to copper mine ASAP if some cities survive your initial assault.

Early Preparation

Exploration

You have to find the enemy capital and reveal as much terrain as possible in its BFC. This so you know if he has key resources that can complicate your rush. (Copper -> Spearmen.)

To do this a) explore near the coast to reduce your chances of losing the scout/warrior to barbarians and animal 2) explore in the direction of the enemy unit if you cross path with it 3) once you find the capital, circle it to reveal the inside of it 4) backtrack to reveal the terrain between your city and the enemy city then 5) go back to circling his capital to see where he will expand.. this is important, read on.

Ideally you want to find the city and be done circling it in the first 20 turns / before 3200BC. Don't lose the scout if you can. (See optional reading for in depth explanation.)

Espionage

As soon as you discover the enemy, it is a good idea to go into the espionage screen and concentrate all your EPs on him by increasing his EP ratio to 1 and leave all others at 0. The main benefit is you will be aware of his technologies, especially if/when he will get BW. In some rarer cases you might even gain visibility of his cities, which is extremely useful to reveal weakness and best attack points.

Decision : Is the rush feasible?

Scouting should have revealed the enemy position. The distance is very important here, you don't want to rush someone very far from you. As a rule of thumb if you can place more than 3 cities directly between you and your enemy, then a rush is both risky and a bad strategy. The reasons are 1) because of the distance your units/reinforcements will take a long time to get there and 2) the maintenance cost for far off cities is high and capturing them can easily crash your economy early.

If the enemy is far away it means that you have enough room to grow. This suggest rapid expansion as a better starting strategy than a rush. (Even if you prefer warfare, you should expand then attack at a later moment with better units than chariots.)

Research

Start with AH first to reveal horses, and if they are not in your capitol BFC, expand near it so you can work it without having to get a border pop. (We rather make an extra immortal than a monument!)

Next you want Wheel, Mining, and BW. Then get stricktly what you need and ideally try to get writing before you rush. (Writing lets us open borders -> scout to see units inside cities.)

BO / Build Order

It seems that the optimal number of cities is 2. Meaning your capitol + an extra city.

Capitol builds : Worker -> barracks (until growth) -> Settler -> warrior and/or extra worker -> *Chariots
Second city builds : Worker -> *Chariots

Start with a worker to improve your capitol surroundings, especially food resources ASAP to speed up settler building and in preparation for whipping. After that build barracks until you have enough population to use all the food resources in your BFC (and floodplains after you build a farm on them). As soon as you grow enough, switch to a settler (CTRL+click on build settler).

Ideal situation : Horses are in your BFC and you can start producing Immortals a few turns after you finish both settler and barracks.
-> In these few turns either make an extra worker or a warrior if you still need growth.
-> Use your settler in an area with a maximum number of forests in the small 3x3 city borders. You can optimize placement for later growth, but for now we don't care about resources or hills, only forests because they mean extra Immortals for the early rush.

WCS (worst case scenario) : The horses are not in your BFC and you have to settle near them + build roads. This might slow you down by up to 10 turns, but it is nothing rush breaking.
-> Settle near the horse while maximizing forests access.

In both cases first thing you make on your second city is a worker for chopping. No barracks, no monument, no granary. These things can wait until the first rush is finished and you are preparing for a second attack... for now we need as many chariots as possible.

Special case : If you are extremely lucky and find yourself in a sea of forests, you might want to make an extra worker in your capitol. (2 from capitol and 1 from second city for a total of 3.)

To steal or not to steal

Some people like to steal workers, but I find this inefficient at higher levels. First you have to divert from your proven build order to make a warrior to steal a worker. Second you have to declare war, and thus at higher level the AI will start spamming units and complicate your rush.

However at lower difficulty levels where the AI won't be as reactive with unit spam defense, you can get away with stealing workers. It might even be desirable as they can speed up making a road from your city to the target city.

Fog busting

I would not bother fog busting. First if something gets near, you can whip protection. Second you want barbarians or animals in the area as it can give free experience for the first chariot you make (he comes soon enough that you won't be vulnerable for long). With a bit of luck you can get enough experience for the Flanking + Sentry promotions, which will help see more deep into enemy territory.

The attack : Key tactics

Choose your target

Picking the right target is key. The capitol is high on the list of priorities, and so is the city controlling the copper mine. Slight preference for the mine, because even if you take the capitol and other cities you won't be able to hold them for long if you let the enemy keep spamming you with spearman. In my test on immortal difficulty, it seems the AI is smart enough to spam spearmen if you attack it with mass chariots.

Using Chariots properly : Speed, attack angle, and mobility

Most people fail at chariot rush (including me until recently) because they use them as fancy Axemen and don't understand their proper use :

1) Hit fast and hard. You can mass chariots and be on the enemy borders in a blink.
2) Attack from an optimal position. Your odds skyrocket if you can reach a city in 2 turns or less, because the enemy has little time to whip defenses, and can't reinforce efficiently. (Your chariots basically move at the same speed as an archer or spearman on a road, so you can get there first.)
3) Mobility. If you reach a city and see that odds are not favorable, you can move and attack another city or position.

These are things a chariot can do and an axeman can't. They are also the primary reason why good players often choose to rush with chariots instead of axemen.

Using the best attack angles available

Have a look at the screenshot :

If you position yourself on the left, POSITION A, you will need 2 turns to reach the city because there is a forest and a hill on your way. However if you go from the bottom left corner (SW), you will be able to reach the city in 1 single turn as only grasslands are on your way.

You generally can reach a city with less than 100 culture in 1 turn. This is because a city with less than 10 culture will have the small 3x3 area (8 workable tiles), and a city with 10-100 culture will have a BFC (20 workable tiles). If one corner has forests or hills on the way, you just have to circle it until you find a clear path.

Each city has 4 corners, so unless there is another nearby city blocking you with its cultural borders you have good chances to find an optimal path. But even if you can't find one (worst case scenario) it is not a problem, even 2 turns to the city is an acceptable speed.

There is one situation where it becomes hard to reach a city in 2 turns or less, and this is with cities having more than 500 culture (in other words the capitol after 1000BC), since their cultural borders are much larger than a BFC.

L&G meet the huge fat cross (HFC?) :

As you can see if only flatlands are on your path, you need at least 2 turns to reach the city. But seeing as most maps have a decent ammount of forests around capitols early on, you are likely to get the WCS where you need 3+ turns to reach the capitol , and this is where problems start to happen. Again 3 turns is all that the enemy needs to reinforced its position with more troops. (See optional reading for in depth explanation.)

Eliminating Copper

If you have done enough exploration, you should know even before the attack where the copper is located exactly.

First you have to ask yourself : is attacking the copper mine necessary?

You don't need to worry about the mine if :
1) capture all the enemy cities in a 2-3 turns
2) you can capture the city working the copper first, or early enough

If you can't do that however, meaning the war will be longer war than ideal, you have to raze their copper/iron resources to stop them from making any more spearmen. In all cases consider the possibility of cutting roads between the copper mine and the cities if it is easier/faster than attacking it. (One unit for this task is usually enough, don't divide your forces more than necessary.)

• You can tell if an AI has Bronze Working by their civics, AIs always (as far as I know) revolt to slavery ASAP. If the AI isn't in slavery, your chariot rush just entered easy mode. (No Bronze working means no spearmen, no advanced metal units, and no whipping.)
  • You can find worked metal tiles without having the needed tech (BW/IW) by examining tile yields; turn that feature on and any hills showing more than normal must contain metal if events are off (if events are on, then it is possible for those to drive up tile yields). Plains/grassland/desert mines are obvious.--mirthadir

Divide and conquer

In this case it is not the enemy we divide, but ourselves. If you were able to get writing and scout enemy cities, you know exactly how many units there are in each. If you evaluate that you can take multiple cities at the same time if you divide your army, then do it.

If the enemy has been REXing, the classic example you will see is a city with 1 archer, and another with 2 (yes even the capitol). In this case you can take the 1 archer city with 2-3 Chariots, and advance on the other city with what's left of your army.

Dealing with existing spearmen : luring

Apparently it is possible to lure spearmen out of a city, if you leave a single chariot exposed as bait. After the spear moves on the chariot, you can kill it outside easier without all the city defensive bonuses.

However there seems to be a random factor in how the AI decides to attack the chariot or not. Or maybe there is an ideal placement I still have to find. Thus unless some of our local AI gurus can explain the behavior, use this technique but don't depend on it or let it slow you down.

Keep in mind also that :

• Warriors are more effective against spears than chariots (in terms of damage inflicted/hammers). Even better if you are able to build archers.
  • Baiting the spearman does not always require you to actually kill it. If you can lure the spear off the road network it will take one turn to get back on it, by which time you should control the city it left. If the AI is dies/you make peace before that, the spear is a non-issue.--mirthadir

What happens after the first 2-3 turns attack

As explained, the first 2-3 turns of the war are where you hit fast and hard and do most damage. This was when your enemy was unaware of danger and unprepared, and hopefully you were able to cripple him enough to be in good position to finish him off. This will happen slower, since the enemy is now massing troops. But without access to copper and/or a strong production capital you have the upper hand.

After clearing all nearby forests, your workers should make a road from your cities to the area near the enemy cities. Keep making chariots, whipping, and massing enough units to take what cities are left. Cut roads, pillage resources (if you can't take the city fast), post troops outside his cities to watch out for settlers, and don't let the enemy recover.

• Watch out for "born generals" events, and if you had enough losses for the enemy to get a general, watch where he was born and make that city your next target. You don't want that city massing freshly upgraded units (city garrison archers are a pain) for long enough to cause you problems.
  • It can be extremely helpful if you can deficit research alphabet (or get it via trade from aesthetics if you are SURE you can make the trade with another AI) off your conquest cash. On immort you have just taken a major blow to your economy, leaving the AI with one city while extorting tech is an extremely good rush recovery technique; using spies can also be fruitful.
  • Once you've crippled an AI you can come back for seconds easily if he has no metals. If he does, you can either mass axes/swords (hopefully you capture some Cu during this war) or gun for pults. CIII chariots + pults are a viable tactic. I've had some crazy Egyptian and CHA games where I end up running around with mass chariots/trebs/stack defenders.--mirthadir

CASE STUDY (with screenshots)

Spoiler :
I tested this strategy again and again until I felt I can consistently rush with success on Immortal difficulty level / Normal speed. You should have an even easier time on slower speeds.

I chose to post the following game (among many) as a case study because it had many unfavorable elements, in other words the equivalent of being unlucky and getting a lot of worst case scenarios. To name a few :

-> Target civ (Montezuma) founded a religion, resulting in early border pop
-> Target civ capitol created cities blocking both its NE and NW corners, and had sea blocking its SE and SW corners. Meaning no easy entry path to take capitol in less than 2 turns.
-> Target civ had copper in its capitol BFC and thus had access to spearmen early

Screenshots (SHIFT+click to enlarge) :

You can download the map from the Immortal university here. Use the autosave preferably.

Initial scouting :

I move next to the north coast until I meet montezuma's scout, I move a little south and find him. Then I circle his capitol clockwise, then counterclockwise when I hit and get blocked by the sea shore :

-

We have 15 Chariots total. 13 in place, and 2 more on their way. Capitol unaccessible, blocked south by sea and north by 2 cities, one at each corner. We chose to attack the NW city from an angle that lets us reach it in the same turn we DoW Zuma :

[Turn 74]

We capture the city and post a bait chariot south of the city position, exactly 2 tiles from the capitol SE. We hit END TURN.

[Turn 75]

A spearman takes the bait and kill the chariot. 3 chariots die to the spearman (worst case scenario again!) and the fourth one kills him :

Chariot that made the kill goes SE to see what units are in the capitol, we see 2 archers :

We plot a cource that puts us 2 turns from the capitol (always keep that 2 turns rule in mind at each city assault), and side benefit it is also 1 tile from copper mine :

We hit END TURN

[Turn 76]

We attack the capitol, lose 4 chariots but take it :

We move and raze the copper mine. Montezuma has 3 cities now, can't make any spearmen, and it will suffice to keep spamming chariots (more are already on their way) and finish him off.

Rush successful.

Savegame just after the last screenshot : >SAVEGAME<

Optional read
Spoiler :

Why scout the city and circle it before turn 20 / 3200BC?

This is because the enemy capitol second border pop (at 100 culture) will usually happen at around 20 turns :
- The palace gives 2 culture. After 8 turns : 16 culture total
+ Researching the fastest religious tech takes 8 turns, after that the capitol gets +5 culture from the religion for a total of +7c/turn
-> (100 needed culture - 16 current culture) / 7 culture per turn = 12 turns to culture pop

Thus the capitol border pops after 8+12=20 turns from start. You might get lucky and the civ you are rushing gets no religion or late one, but as said earlier we won't count on luck here.

Why attack before 1000BC?

It is well known that an attack before 1000BC augment your chances of success, but you rarely hear about what the reasons might be. Similar to scouting before 3200BC, this is due (in part) to the capitol popping a border at 500 culture and making it harder to reach it quickly. Also to an extent because of the extra defense bonus due to culture.

WCS the capitol has 100 culture at turn 20 and is producing 7 culture per turn. 400 needed culture / 7cpt = 58 turns. 20 turns + 58 turns = 78 turns / 925BC. We round up at 1000BC in case capitol gets an early wonder, and also because it is easier to remember I guess. ;)

Also we ideally need enough strength to overcome enemy defenses (on higher difficulties AI starts with multiple archers), while giving it enough time to make new cities to spread their units to, but before making too many new ones. There is a sweet spot to hit there and it seems 1000BC is a good estimate. (However don't bind yourself to it, if you scout and see an opening then go for it!)

Why is 3 the minimum average distance between cities?

Since you can't make a city in the 3x3 square around another, the minimum distance between two cities is 3 tiles. Which means 2 move points to go through the separating tiles +1 additional move point to reach the city center.

So assuming the second city with reinforcements is 3 tiles away, and there is a road between them (half movement cost), it will take a normal unit (archer, spearman, etc) 2 turns to reach it. This means that if we attack in these 2 turns, the target city won't have any reinforcements. But on the 3rd turn, it most probably will, unless we are extremely lucky. (And we don't want to rely on luck, do we?)

The ideal number of cities for the first rush?

As said earlier, 2 cities seem to be ideal.

3 cities are too many, since a second settler slows you down too much (100 hammers, that's 3 chariots) and you won't have enough workers to work the third city anyways, nor build a road to it for access to horses, nor chopping there since the 2-3 worker you already have should be chopping around the clock in your 2 primary cities then making a road to enemy territory.

And a single city is too few since the second one can contribute at least 2-3 chariots to the rush (and possibly give you access to horses) in exchange for the little time it takes to make a settler. Also in this case you won't be wasting time on the settler, as you won't be able to make chariots yet. This is because you have to wait for the necessary techs research, and horses to hook up. In this spare time the best thing you can build is a barrack and a settler.

The immortal scout technique

If you start with a scout, only move 1 tile at a time instead of 2 then hit SPACE to skip its turn. Also avoid walking on forests and hills. Why? First move you explore the unknown, and if you encounter an animal/barb you can retreat / avoid him with the second move. If you keep using both moves and step near an enemy, you will die and replacing this early scouting unit will slow down your rush.

It is acceptable to move 2 tiles if you are near the coast line or in populated area (when circling enemy city) where chances for barb presence are minor.

*AFAIK I have seen no other person using or mentioning this technique. Either it is a new idea or it is documented somewhere, in which case I'd like to have a link to give proper credit.

Final thanks

Thanks go to the Immortal University which provided the map I used for the case study. Also to mirthadir & Tempesta13 for their precious advice at the university on making this rush work at the immortal difficulty level.

Excellent guide! I spent around 4 games learning Immortal rushes myself (last one was against Monty, just like you), and I learned more from just what you outlined here than all that trial and error!

Since not many civs (1, actually) have Immortals, would it perhaps be good to give numbers for non-Immortal-non-War-Chariot raids too?

Thanks again for taking the time to put that together! Good stuff there.

Thanks for the guide. I failed twice on TMIT"s Darius game rushing Monty. I'm going to give it another go.

Yeah, I had the same question about how this applies to normal chariots.

Dealing with existing spearmen : luring

Apparently it is possible to lure spearmen out of a city, if you leave a single chariot exposed as bait. After the spear moves on the chariot, you can kill it outside easier without all the city defensive bonuses.

However there seems to be a random factor in how the AI decides to attack the chariot or not. Or maybe there is an ideal placement I still have to find. Thus unless some of our local AI gurus can explain the behavior, use this technique but don't rely on it heavily and don't let it slow you down. It is better to rely on things you can control.

I think this depends on which AI you are up against. Certain leaders are more likely to attack at poor combat odds than others (Ragnar as opposed to Gandhi, for example).

Some rushing tips:
After your warrior has hugged the perimeter of enemy lands, send him back to your capital to garrison for happiness. Replace him when you can with a chariot. In realistic games, you're not going to expect horsies, so you will be growing on a warrior.

If your second worker can chop 3+ forests, it's worth it. Also, with 2 cities it's cannot keep up improving 2 cities, especially forested hills, with only one worker (and you have to hook up a road). Play around with the timing, choosing to build the second worker at size 3, size 4, etc, to get a feel for when you need worker turns.

You can choose not to build a barracks in city 2 and focus all your chops on city 1. In this case you either build a worker in city 2 or a grow on a warrior while waiting for the horses to hook up.

It's better not to whip if you can avoid it, but if they're about to hook up a metal (and on immortal, your racing against iron working), you have hit earlier.

Chop last (after improving and building a minimal road network, not including chopping workers), since it will increase your maintenance rapidly.

Capital first is a very high priority for a couple of reasons. Chariot rushes lose their momentum faster than axe rushes. They will start spamming units, so after your initial attack heals, your stack is weakened while all theirs will potentially be gathering in their highest defense city. With chariots I wouldn't bother wasting units on a 1 pop city on a hill.

My most important advice in short is build order timings are everything in rushes. Strategic resource timing, growing timing, worker timing.

Comments:

It can be extremely helpful if you can deficit research alphabet (or get it via trade from aesthetics if you are SURE you can make the trade with another AI) off your conquest cash. On immort you have just taken a major blow to your economy, leaving the AI with one city while extorting tech is an extremely good rush recovery technique; using spies can also be fruitful.

It can be more beneficial to get the settler before the rax if you expect a large number of turns before you can link up the horses. At this point in the game you can build warriors, workers, settlers and rax while waiting to get the horses online, a bad situation is having no trees to chop and having 10 dead turns while getting horses online. On the flip side using horseless turns to get another worker/settler can be useful (also you can use 3-4 warriors for garrison duty freeing up chariots to keep hitting; more warriors, though, takes a toll against getting writing before the rush). I try to game building the rax before the settler with how long it takes me to get the horses up.

Baiting the spear mand does not always require you to actually kill it. If you can lure the spear off the road network it will take one turn to get back on it, by which time you should control the city it left. If the AI is dies/you make peace before that, the spear is a non-issue.

You can tell if an AI has BW by their civics, AIs always (as far as I know) revolt to slavery ASAP. If the AI isn't in slavery, your chariot rush just entered easy mode.

You can find worked metal tiles without having the needed tech (BW/IW) by examining tile yields; turn that feature on and any hills showing more :hammers: than normal must contain metal if events are off (if events are on, then it is possible for those to drive up tile yields). Plains/grassland/desert mines are obvious.

Warriors are more effective against spears than chariots (in terms of damage inflicted/:hammers:).

If you can't keep the Cu disconnected for a reasonable price, you may be further ahead to cut the roads leading to the next town and just leave this to be the one BFC garrison city; go take all the rest of the AIs territory; kill this place later.

When going after hill Cu when the AI has a spear, warriors are better than chariots; archers infinitely better.

Once you've crippled an AI you can come back for seconds easily if he has no metals. If he does, you can either mass axes/swords (hopefully you capture some Cu during this war) or gun for pults. CIII chariots + pults are a viable tactic. I've had some crazy Egyptian and CHA games where I end up running around with mass chariots/trebs/stack defenders.

This Darius game is really tough. I've tried it four times now but just can't do it. The problem with Monty, besides having Cu, is that he seems to unit spam regardless of perceived threat - I think this is due to almost instant Worst Enemy mode with Joao or the fact that he's probably coming at me anyway. I get like about 12 to 13 immortals but he already has spears spammed in his cities. Plus, he is a major settler spammer and has a lot of cities already as well as settlers just sitting in some cities. I tried getting out IMM with minimal whipping but I guess I need to whip more. Honestly, I just don't get it at this level. I can make it work in other situations though.

One thing I'm curious about - if you rally your units on his cultural borders w/o declaring war yet, does this trigger a unit buildup on the AI's part or does he blissfully ignore your obvious intention to rush him?

One thing I'm curious about - if you rally your units on his cultural borders w/o declaring war yet, does this trigger a unit buildup on the AI's part or does he blissfully ignore your obvious intention to rush him?

The latter.
Nothing's "obvious" to an AI.

This Darius game is really tough. I've tried it four times now but just can't do it. The problem with Monty, besides having Cu, is that he seems to unit spam regardless of perceived threat - I think this is due to almost instant Worst Enemy mode with Joao or the fact that he's probably coming at me anyway. I get like about 12 to 13 immortals but he already has spears spammed in his cities. Plus, he is a major settler spammer and has a lot of cities already as well as settlers just sitting in some cities. I tried getting out IMM with minimal whipping but I guess I need to whip more. Honestly, I just don't get it at this level. I can make it work in other situations though.

Monty has several key factors making him annoying to chariot rush:
1. He founds religions. In both the cap and the other cities this means more defensive bonuses, more land to cross, and more chances to get into worst enemy status.
2. Jags are resourceless AND cheap. Most other AIs if you trash the metal, can't get past archers until feudalism. Sooner is definitely better with Monty.
3. He's a unit spammer. I don't know if this is because he's a diplomatic psychopath or because he is just an inherent unit spammer, but he will get a mess of units.

In that game I think I only hit with 10 immorts (2 more inbound) and above all SOONER IS BETTER. I was actually extremely tempted to just block (pushing monty to settle east) and wait for HAs even though I had Persia. Outside of Egypt and Persia, I'd take HAs every time with that setup.

I believe you forgot to mention attacking before the enemy discovers BW. My build order was *immortal as soon as horses were hooked up. 1 or 2 chariots will ensure that no new cities get founded, and if you are lucky you catch border cities with only 1 archer defending against your 2 chariots. I got lucky on this map. But even if not you can lure units out and with 2+ cities the AI will shift units between cities allowing you to pick your spots to attack.

Though even if you don't get an opportunity to attack, you can simply keep the AI bottled up, settle some cities and attack later when you have more hammers. This way the rush never fails, though it may not have ended up optimally.

Spoiler :

I am a huge fan of chariot rushes. Often though, it seems I am more successful if I start with a humble warrior raid on workers. Monty's ability to unit spam can be severely hampered if you can keep him from improving his tiles, and if you can steal his workers he will be forced to waste food/hammers to replace them.

If you can start early enough, try and get two warriors to the scene. Best is if you can steal that first worker... otherwise the odds of success go down. Keep the warriors in the BFC on a good defense tile, ideally a forest hill. He won't attack until he can get four or more archers built, and by then your warriors will have pretty good odds of surviving. If they die, hopefully you have already gotten chariots online. Send a few loner chariots out to harrass his units and block worker actions. Snipe any archers he may send out of the city. If things work out well, you will most likely never have to face metal units and hopefully won't have too many cities to knock out.

Anyone else use this tactic?

I too would like to see a high-level example of chariot rushing with actual chariots. Immortals are one of the more powerful UUs, given their defensive abilities and bonuses vs the most common defenders. I'd like to see how a successful chariot rush comes off at the emperor or better level with someone other than Persia/Egypt. I always seem to start too soon (not enough chariots) or too late (too many spears for numbers to matter).

Tried something similar to this guide in a game with Justinian on Warlord setting. Unfortunatley it took a little too long to get hold of the horses (3rd city) before attempting the rush.

Couldn't break down the defences as my opponent had jaguars in defence. These just kept picking off my chariots before I had time to pillage or attack any city. I guess it was just bad timing or the map.

Also some pesky barbarians suddenly started hassling me as soon as I went to war, eventually taking my city with the horses! Damn! I guess I learnt a few things though!

I too would like to see a high-level example of chariot rushing with actual chariots. Immortals are one of the more powerful UUs, given their defensive abilities and bonuses vs the most common defenders. I'd like to see how a successful chariot rush comes off at the emperor or better level with someone other than Persia/Egypt. I always seem to start too soon (not enough chariots) or too late (too many spears for numbers to matter).

I'm sure there's plenty of games with chariot rushes. Two recent ones come to mind, a recent RPC, and someone playing mansa musa, though the latter might not have been emperor.

---

Stealing workers: that will probably work out below emperor level, where they don't start with a worker, and their stalled growth coupled with unimproved tiles will cripple them. Above that, he gets a free worker, and he may have built a second worker, so he'll still be able to improve his tiles, and he'll build more archers.

Tried something similar to this guide in a game with Justinian on Warlord setting. Unfortunatley it took a little too long to get hold of the horses (3rd city) before attempting the rush.

Couldn't break down the defences as my opponent had jaguars in defence. These just kept picking off my chariots before I had time to pillage or attack any city. I guess it was just bad timing or the map.

Also some pesky barbarians suddenly started hassling me as soon as I went to war, eventually taking my city with the horses! Damn! I guess I learnt a few things though!

This reminds me of a funny story I read when I was young, from Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I'm not saying this is exactly the same situation, but the parable holds.

Spoiler :
Kathy once had a cat named Skunks. She liked Skunks. But she was afraid that Skunks would run away.
"You have nothing to worry about, Kathy," said Mrs. Jewls. "Skunks won't run away. Just be nice to him and feed him and pet him, and he won't run away. He may go out and play, but he'll always come back."
"No, you're wrong, Mrs. Jewls," said Kathy. "What do you know! He'll run away."
So Kathy kept Skunks locked up in her closet at home. She never let him out and sometimes even forgot to feed him.
One day, while Kathy was looking for her other shoe, Skunks ran out of the closet and never came back.
"You said he would come back, Mrs. Jewls," said Kathy. "He never came back. You were wrong. I was right."
That was why Kathy didn't like Mrs. Jewls.
"The next time I get a cat, I'll kill him. Then he'll never run away," said Kathy.
Then there was the time that Dameon tried to teach Kathy how to play catch.
"Dameon said, "When I throw you the ball, Kathy, try to catch it."
"I can't catch it," said Kathy. "I'll just get hurt."
"You won't get hurt," Dameon insisted. "Just watch the ball."
He tossed it to her.
But Kathy knew that she'd get hurt. So she closed her eyes. The ball hit her on the cheek. It hurt.
Kathy began to cry. "You were wrong," she sobbed. "I was right!"
That was why Kathy didn't like Dameon.
Allison believed that if you are nice to someone, then they'll be nice to you. So one day she brought Kathy a cookie.
"I don't want your ugly cookie," said Kathy. "It probably tastes terrible!"
Allison said, "No, it was very good. I made it myself."
Kathy said, "If you made it, then it must stink! You can't cook. You're too stupid!" She just put the cookie in her desk along with her pencils, crayons, and books.
Three weeks later, Kathy was hungry. "All right, Allison," she said. "I'll try your stupid cookie." She took it out of her desk. It was covered with dust. She bit it. It was hard and tasted terrible.
"See," said Kathy. "I was right!"
That was why Kathy didn't like Allison.
Yes, Kathy had very good reasons for not liking anyone she knew.
But she also has a good reason for not liking you. And she doesn't even know you. Her reason is this. She knows that if you ever met her, you wouldn't like her. You don't like Kathy, do you?
See, she was right!
It's funny how a person can be right all the time and still be wrong.

I'm ultraconservative in the opening game so I decided to try this and found that it really breaks me out of my shell and gives me a purpose in those BC years. Unfortunately the barbarian horde appeared at my borders 2500 BC before I had a chariot. I had settled my original warrior in my capital, and I only had time to whip another warrior (C1 with barracks). The two of them held off 4 of the barbarian archers, but the fifth barb archer took my city. I took a break from the game, then came back to my prior save @2725BC, and was surprised to first get the event again (guess the RNG sequence was the same) and was further surprised that the horde came after me again. I guess you only get that message when you're the target? But this time I was able to chop a 3rd warrior, also C1, and only lost one warrior to the barbs.

My capital had 3 clams in the BFC so I prioritized 2 workboats early, the 2nd workboat being in lieu of a second worker, temporarily. Also, horses showed up in the cultural borders of my capital, so I pastured them instead of building a second settler. Other than those situational things I stuck to the basic strategy, rushed and whipped chariots, while I scouted Hammy, decided he was so weak that 5 chariots was enough, and blew through him before he knew what hit him. It's now 1225BC, still building chariots and I've got both Ragnar and Darius close enough to hit. Ragnar has lots of archers but no source of copper, so I think he's next.

Word of thanks to the OP. This sort of aggressiveness helps my early game. I have a tendency to get comfortable before I attack. Even now, I see so much land to settle that I want to go passive but with Ragnar at my heels I know I've got to keep the hammer down. :)

3. He's a unit spammer. I don't know if this is because he's a diplomatic psychopath or because he is just an inherent unit spammer, but he will get a mess of units.

Monty is a tier 2 unit spammer. Shaka, mehmed, napoleon, and ragnar build more units (unitprob 40). Monty joins the likes of toku and genghis khan with a 35 unitprob, and the only time he won't spam units from "go" is if he goes a religious route.

Top Bottom