• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Guy Fawkes awareness campaign

stormbind

Retenta personam!
Few Americans know about this, so I'm on a crusade to reunite them with their heritage :p

Here are some quotes on the topic of Guy Fawkes Night, Bonfire Night, or Pope Day. You get to burn people you don't like Bush, Moore, or Osama bin Laden! ;)

:devil2: Remember, remember, the 5th of November! :devil2:

Guy Fawkes​

You can learn all about the history behind this annual event here Bonfire.org and Wikipedia.

Extracts said:
The tradition of Guy Fawkes-related bonfires actually began the very same year as the failed coup.

Soon, people began placing effigies onto bonfires, and fireworks were added to the celebrations. Still today, some communities throw dummies of both Guy Fawkes and the Pope on the bonfire (and even those of a contemporary politician or two), although the gesture is seen by most as a quirky tradition, rather than an expression of hostility towards the Pope.

On the night itself, Guy is placed on top of the bonfire, which is then set alight; and fireworks displays fill the sky.

Bonfire Night is not only celebrated in Britain. The tradition crossed the oceans and established itself in the British colonies during the centuries. It was actively celebrated in New England as "Pope Day" as late as the 18th century. Today, November 5th bonfires still light up in far out places like New Zealand and Newfoundland in Canada.

I always thought it was just Guy Fawkes we could burn. :hmm:

CivCube said:
I always thought it was just Guy Fawkes we could burn. :hmm:
Me too, but after explaining the event to American, I looked up the details.. and sites claimed otherwise.

In memories from childhood, I thought they burned a guy and his wife, because I remember seeing both a dummy with two obvious legs... and a dummy in a dress... but after reading the sites, I guess Guy's wife may have been the Pope :p

:bump:

I'm trying to make a Guy Fawkes smiley. Thread on making fire effects.

Previously made a Pilgrim smiley, and wondered if the hat is accurate enough for Guy Fawkes aswell? I don't know how accurate the picture in the first post is.

Here's my Pilgrim..

Attachments

• pilgrim.gif
    pilgrim.gif
    1 KB · Views: 67
i already knew about guy fawks, but hey what a great tradition, and a good idead for a campaign

why let all that irish/english, catholic/protestant tention go away?

lets keep the hostility alive people!! :p

Guy Fawkes unites people from across the political spectrum: Some say he is burned for trying to blow up Parliament, others say he is burned for failing! ;)

Top Bottom