Hall of Fame error

SvenSlayer

Berserkr
I'm running the latest version of Civ4 (1.74) on my computer. Everything works fine, except that when I win a game, which I did just now, it doesn't record my victory on the Hall of Fame screen. I've even tried reloading my game one turn before I win and winning it again, and it still doesn't want to record it. A minor problem perhaps, but I wonder what's causing it.

does it show you the replay? if it does I would assume that somehow your replays folder is either write protected or not existent in the path it usually looks for... is there a folder called Replays in my games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\ and is it write protected or not?

Yes, there is a folder My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Replays, and the files in it are not set to read-only. The Replays folder itself is set to read-only, but the strange thing is, even if I uncheck the read-only box, apply the changes and close the Properties window, when I open the Properties window again the folder is still set to read-only.

This error has never cropped up on any of the previous installations of the game, and this is quite a fresh installation.

I only have the mods that come with the game (American Revolution, Desert War, Greek World, Tutorial), and I never use them.

I do have the replay files in my Replays folder - they just don't show up in the Hall of Fame screen. If I double-click on one of the files, the game runs and takes me to the HOF screen, which is blank. BTW, the files are only "0 KB" big - is this normal?

I probably should just completely uninstall the game, make sure everything relating to the game is deleted, and reinstall everything from scratch - maybe I can backup my replay files somewhere and then move them back to the appropriate folder.

the replay files should be something like 100 to 300 kb so no that is not what you want them to be and probably the cause of the problem. Why it does not do it though is a different question. IF you reinstall make sure to manually delete the my games/BtS directory since the uninstaller won't do it...

Okay, I'll reinstall now. Thanks very much for your patience, ori.

BTW, by "BtS" do you mean Beyond the Sword? I don't have that installed anyway.

I know this is a strange request, but can anyone post a link in this thread to the file of a saved game saved just before - preferably one turn before - the player wins that game? Then I could finish the game and see if my computer saves the replay file right this time. The file would have to be compatible with v1.74.

I've just started a new game and retired the next turn, and it's still not saving the replays properly. I don't understand.

could you open
my games\sid meier's civilization 4\civilizationIV.ini (any texteditor will do)
and change the following values so that they look like posted:

Code:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 1

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

then start a game (best is: use custom game, e.g. on a duel map and ONLY use the human player, i.e. set the AI players to none) this way you'll get a conquest victory after 15 or so turns. Of course retire should work as well so do what ever you want. After you ended the game please post the contents of:
my games\sid meier's civilization 4\logs
as a zip file here :)

Okay, here are the files. I don't have the "SynchLog" option (perhaps because we're using different versions?), but otherwise I followed your instructions to the letter.

I think I might know what the problem is. After I'd won the conquest victory (following your instructions), it said it couldn't access a certain game file. The file PythonErr reads:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 131, in showReplay

RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
ERR: Python function showReplay failed, module CvScreensInterface

Now one of the many times I've reinstalled the game, I remember it saying that a certain file - and I'm quite sure it was CvScreensInterface - on my DVD was corrupted, but I just wiped the disc clean, and told it to try again, and it worked. It could be I need to get hold of that file off the Net somehow.

Attachments

• PythonDbg.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 74
this is most probably what is causing the trouble - the CvScreenInterface.py is necessary to produce the replay files properly and without those you don't get a HOF...
Unfortunately distributing this file is against the anti-piracy rules of this site so I cannot help out with the file :(

Strange that it got corrupted - took good care of the disc. Oh well, thanks again for the help.

Problem solved!

It wasn't CvScreensInterface that was causing all the trouble.

I recruited the help of 2K Technical Support and after a few days of correspondence, during which I sent them a DxDiag text file, they presented me with a solution: download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, which I did. The installation of the aforementioned module together with Windows Installer 3.1 - which they didn't tell me about (they probably thought I had it installed already) - fixed everything right up.

Top Bottom