Happy Norwegian Day!

It's been 100 years and they still don't get the flag right...

This is how it's supposed to look like:

Thanks a lot, Scandinavian brother! :)
But we write May mai, not maj. :lol:
@storealex: The four hundred years night has (fortunately) come to an end. Live with it.

Perfection said:
So what do you do on this fine day?
The most typical is school children parading in the streets with flags. Some solemn memorial ceremonies in local parks or cemetaries are also in order. And good food and drink, of course!
@Tank_Guy#3: I was prevented to open a Polish Constitution Day thread because I used that theme in a quiz I was leading in the History Forum. So here is a very late Happy Constitution Day! :)

Yay for us!

Reccommend everybody read this (fairly short), see also the article on russ. Happy reading.

Also, today is 100 years since the union between Norway and Sweden broke, which made Norway fully independent. Luckily, it happened peacefully. I've read in todays newspaper about it, quite interesting.

Hakim said:
Also, today is 100 years since the union between Norway and Sweden broke, which made Norway fully independent. Luckily, it happened peacefully. I've read in todays newspaper about it, quite interesting.

It made Sweden fully independent ;)

Norway rocks! :rockon:

luceafarul said:
@storealex: The four hundred years night has (fortunately) come to an end. Live with it.
Dude, it's not about your independance. Im actually glad that Sweden took and kept you, so instead of fighting with Sweden over some forsaken mountains all the time, we could concentrate on the Germans instead.
It's your flag man... you took our design and our colours and still it looks wrong...

storealex said:
Dude, it's not about your independance. Im actually glad that Sweden took and kept you, so instead of fighting with Sweden over some forsaken mountains all the time, we could concentrate on the Germans instead.
It's your flag man... you took our design and our colours and still it looks wrong...
First time ever anybody "duded" me... :lol:
Don't get me started on this one. Norway had to pay dearly for your incompetent and greedy rulers and I think that they saw more to it than "some forsaken mountains".
Especially after we found all that oil... :mischief:
And about the flag, I think it would have been better without any cross at all.

"Stryk kristenkorset av ditt flag
Og reis det rent og rødt,
La ingen by dig det bedrag
At frelseren er født".
- Arnulf Øverland

I'd make a witty reply, but it would make the thread into a religious debate.

Så, god syttende mai og ha en fin dag.

Hakim said:
No, it's not. Norway broke free from Sweden in early June. We are celebrating May 17th because that's the day our Constitution was signed. (It's actually the third oldest ceonstitution in the world!) I wonder why nobody has pointed this out yet...

In case you haven't noticed, this is my first post in OT for a while...

WickedSmurf said:
Cheers neighbours!
Thanks!

luceafarul said:
Don't get me started on this one. Norway had to pay dearly for your incompetent and greedy rulers and I think that they saw more to it than "some forsaken mountains".
Especially after we found all that oil... :mischief:
Don't get you started? Sorry, but you did that your self already when you misinterpreted my first post. It's about flags and looks, not about old grudges.

And what I meant by forsaken: Denmark spend tons of resources in fighting against Sweden over Norway. Money that would have been better spend elsewhere.
We went bankrupt in 1813 you know... Imagine if the allies had not forced us to give your "fjelle land" to the Swedes, then we would probably have been fighting the same war all over again, spending all our energy on fighting eachother, so when the Germans attacked (Danish rule number one: Germans will eventually attack you) we would have wasted our selves fighting over rocks, and Denmark it self would be defenseless.

(Danish rule number one: Germans will eventually attack you)
Priceless.

The Person said:
We are celebrating May 17th because that's the day our Constitution was signed. (It's actually the third oldest ceonstitution in the world!)
I think the United States has the oldest (unless you count uncodified constitutions) who has the second oldest?

I wonder if this is the reason for people of Norwegian decent living in America can celibrate this day :confused:. Yes, my great-great-grandparents from my mother's side came from Norway ;).

Top Bottom