Has anyone won without there capital?

France

Chieftain
If I ever lose my capital I hurry to gain it back, it kick the player's butt to whoever captured it. Anyway, has anyone won without your original?:crazyeye:

I never have. Losing a Capital's a huge blow: I just don't see coming back from it in any but the most extreme circumstances.

I'm assuming you mean 'losing' as a long time, not just for one or two turns until your counterattack arrives.

I haven't, primarily because I haven't lost my capital in any game I've played. Come to think of it, I think that if I did end up losing my capital I'd ragequit.

If I ever lose my capital I hurry to gain it back, it kick the player's butt to whoever captured it. Anyway, has anyone won without your original?:crazyeye:

No. This is another weakness of the game: the illogical OC bonuses.

No. This is another weakness of the game: the illogical OC bonuses.

Well, those bonuses travel with the palace - but still losing a capital is a death sentence for the human who lacks the kind of bonuses the AI gets. I've lost capitals due to some truly absurd turn 70 AI rushes - in those cases there would not have even been a way for me to win it back due to how long raising more units in secondary cities would take.

I always ragequit if I lose my capital. Even if it is possible to win from that point, it's likely going to take twice as long to do so. Plus, I've clearly made a big mistake if I have allowed it to happen so I just try to make sure I'm better prepared in the next game.

I am inclined to believe that once you lose your Capital, you can no longer win a _Domination_ victory, even if you take your Capital back. The other victory types -- Diplomatic, Cultural, Science, etc. -- may still be attainable. (I think.)

I myself never have, but I have seen an AI win a scientific game without their capital. But then, their second city was arguably better than their capital. It had 210 production or so, fudgingg AI bonuses..

No, but there was a time where my second city had more potential for growth than my capital so when it was time to build the national college I built it there, which pretty much made it the unofficial capital.

I could have lost that capital (and nearly did) and still gone on to win a comfortable diplomacy victory (to be fair, diplomacy victories can be quite straight forward even on deity)

I lost it once in an old/new world game. Almost on purpose but clearly I didn't care that much. I almost doubled the # of AIs so that the old world was crammed full... only a few of them had room for even a 2nd city, let alone more. My capitol spot wasn't even that great, only a couple of resources and half tundra. So I turtled and beelined astronomy, pre-building several settlers, and then left en masse for the new world.

Keeping enough military to hold the old capitol would have severely restricted my colonization efforts. So once I committed to the strat it was go for broke. As it was, I had saved a ton of gold to rush buy workshops and granaries. I won with a space victory.

It was a fun game, I'd encourage others to try it. Be sure and use a mapscript that puts lux resources in the new world (some of them don't, clearly a bug in my view).

I never lost my capital, but I think the science, diplo and culture victories remain possible, and for a domination victory you have to regain your capital

Top Bottom