Have you changed your difficulty level?

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
I've always played on 'normal' difficulty but the lack of gold has tempted me to dial back one level.

Anyone else go up or down because of BNW?

I've always played on 'normal' difficulty but the lack of gold has tempted me to dial back one level.

Anyone else go up or down because of BNW?

Once I got the hang of the new mechanics I found myself playing my first Emperor game (I usually played on King), and I found it really engaging. Less maniacal AI, I think, helps to get your civilization developed before the big wars start and makes the late game more interesting.

I went back to Emperor to try out the new systems, but I didn't finish that game. My two completed games were both on Immortal, which is where I normally play. Those games were both much too easy, though, because the AI is less aggressive than it used to be. I might move up to Deity for future games.

... My two completed games were both on Immortal, which is where I normally play. Those games were both much too easy, though, because the AI is less aggressive than it used to be. I might move up to Deity for future games.

Kinda the same here. I'm finding that with BNW my usual playing level, Immortal, the game is effectively won - it's just a matter of waiting out the turns. Unfortunately, Deity is proving a little much for me. I'm trapped in a no-man's land between a difficulty level that it's too easy to enjoy and one that's too hard to enjoy. I've tried adjusting some things that are meant to make the game harder, like playing on Pangaea and a faster speed, but they don't seem to be sufficient.

I am still playing at King which I feel comfortable at. I am having a bit of trouble on my current game as the Zulu going for domination though. I think I started badly by going honor and have been behind in tech the whole game. I have 2 civ capitals and need 3 more. They should fall easily once I get Warsaw but Warsaw is giving me quite the struggle...hopefully artillery will even the odds.

I was comfortable on immortal for a long while, and a little intimidated by deity to move up a level. But after learning a lot from the great LPers and with the AI's slower teching/more peaceful behavior, I figured it was finally time to move up. So far I've won my first 2 deity games fairly easily, both without a single DoW against me. Tbh, both games felt like I was playing on emperor, but hey I'll take it. :D

I've been thinking about dialing down my difficulty to prince or emperor and just try and challenge myself in different ways with the new game mechanics. I'm getting a bit bored of the artificial difficulty.

I only went up to Prince in G&K. I've stuck with that level with BNW.

Used to play Deity in G&K but with new tourism/changes I am still struggling in immortal.

Honestly i was playing prince before this but am going to move up to king because while i have enjoyed the few games of bnw i completed, Ive felt like i could have still won was the AI trying harder.

I successfully moved up from Prince (G&K) to King. Now I'm trying and failing badly on Emperor.

Kinda the same here. I'm finding that with BNW my usual playing level, Immortal, the game is effectively won - it's just a matter of waiting out the turns. Unfortunately, Deity is proving a little much for me. I'm trapped in a no-man's land between a difficulty level that it's too easy to enjoy and one that's too hard to enjoy. I've tried adjusting some things that are meant to make the game harder, like playing on Pangaea and a faster speed, but they don't seem to be sufficient.

I too, am stuck in the rut between two difficulties, one being an academic victory within 100 turns, and the other just kicking my arse often enough that it's not enjoyable. Upon BNW release I found bumping myself one down was more suitable while I got used to the ins and outs of trade routes, the new diplomacy, and the ideologies.

Started vanilla on King and moved to emperor shortly after. Used to play Emperor most of the time, moved to Immortal a few weaks before the release of Bnw. Started Bnw on immortal, playing immortal ever since.

If you used to limb along the civs in population, BNW is a lot harder, to the point you suddenly can't compete in tech.

If your old play style meant you where good at growing your cities pop, BNW is easier.

Ive played two games with BNW, as portugal and brazil. I usually play on prince (and king is ok if i have some luck), but i might go up to king definetly. My games are way too peacefull. As portugal i had no wars for 400 turns, even with the huns and japan close by. and i had tons of money...

I was on King level or so pre-BNW but I started up Prince for my first game as I never played a lot of GNK (so I didn't know all beliefs by heart) and I wanted to get used to the new systems.

I didn't have any problems getting used to those or the other changes (gold on coast or river tiles). So I'll finish this one fast and switch to King once again.

Do you guys have any idea since when we can build farms on hills and desert?

Same. Essentially, I struggled on Immortal on Pangaea in G&K, but it is doable in BNW. I like to build and play peaceful for most of the game, which is viable now on Immortal. Except when you start near certain civs like the Zulu or everyones favourite jerk Alex.

Water maps are certainly easier, since the AI can not expand as good, and runaway-civs can be taken down much more easily.

I will try deity next.

I used to be an emperor level player all along in civ IV BTS as well as CIV G&K, Immortal was always a bit too much for me, the AI unit spam in the early game was too much for me to handle and not fun enough. I would win comfortably on emperor.

Started BNW on emperor after three comfortable wins - 1 diplo, 1 culture and 1 science + an already won game (which i havent got around to comnpleting) as shoeshone where i'm going domination decided to finally bump it up to Immortal.

Won on my first try (diplo felt it was easiest option) , 2nd game going for culture and things look good. Shaka is my neighbor though and has about a gazillion units ... :(

Do you guys have any idea since when we can build farms on hills and desert?

Since as long as I can remember.. Perhaps in Vanilla? Maybe the first patch.. It was always like that..

Ah yes, I always play King in Vanilla, G&K and BNW. Though in my last BNW games, I always never lead in tech race; had to used 3 Great Scientists to get the last part of the Spaceship before Ethiopia did. I like it, it makes the game more interesting, even in King level.

I went up to emperor from King since the game is more peaceful at the start. Emperor feels more challenging too. Most of my emperor games are really neck to neck exhilarating finishes.

Top Bottom