• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Haven't played since May. How are the newest patches?

Jatta Pake

Warlord
Seemed like some big game balance changes in the last couple of patches. How is gameplay now? Better or worse?

Not sure if I'm up for starting a new game right now. Should I wait until another patch comes out?

Gameplay is much better now in my opinion.

OP, there are some really big improvements. The last two patches have drastically changed the game. I came back to the game with the penultimate patch and was pleasantly surprised. The latest patch is still new-ish, but by and large I think it was pretty successful and really changes things yet again.

Sure, you could play the waiting game and wait for more patches... but you could do that forever. I'd say, if you have a real hankering to play, than definitely go for it. If you're not really motivated, than give it more time. But if you're a Civ addict, I'd say you're missing out.

If you're someone who just doesn't like civ5 at a fundamental level (or if you're like some of the people on these forums who continue to post unhelpful troll posts in every other thread), nothing in these patches will win you over.

If you actually like civ5 but understand that it had flaws and needed some rebalancing / polishing, then you should try civ5 again, it has had a lot of new features added and a lot of polish/rebalancing work done and it improves the game a lot.

Also don't expect miracles, the AI for instance hasn't become perfect overnight, but it is better.

Essentially this is the patch in a nutshell:
  • Hotseat added
  • New bonus resource - Stone (gives extra hammers, worked by quarry)
  • Post-game replays added
  • A lot of bug fixes
  • A lot of balance changes (overall very positive, imo)
  • Changes to wonders to make the matter more
  • Destroyers have been moved to combustion, Carriers no longer require oil
  • Idustrial / Modern Era teching is a bit slower, particularly Modern Era
  • Tanks made a little more viable / attractive to use, but imo they could still use a bit more of a buff by making mounted units and gunpowder units weak to them, they dont really need a direct combat strenth buff though.

The last 2 patches have changed the game immensely, and, imho, for the better...

I would recommend trying the game again, as it's not the same as it was...

You may even like it now... :p

Turn on Steam, run Civ V, see if you like it now. It's that easy.

AI still has a way to go. It still relies on massive cheats even on normal/prince level to match it with humans.

Should finish off my first marathon game since the patch and it's a major improvement IMO. Balance changes are good, and the game just feels more active the whole way through. I've not had long dead periods where I felt like nothing was happening. The diplomacy makes a lot more sense and is less open to abuse.

Combat AI is still the major weakness. It's a bit better but I think the AI needs to scale its forces against human players better, as it needs many more troops than it currently brings to really stand a chance against even a modest human army.

All in all though the devs are definitely on the right path. A major focus on improving combat AI should probably be their priority now.

Well unlike other say i just gonne say this:

Gameplay has improved drasticly in a good way... Only thing they didn't fixed is diplomacy they still use the good AI typ for a civilzation game where diplomacy is key...

So if you want to see some diplomacy i would'nt play civ 5 its only a war game

These patches have increased the quality of the game immensely. There are still two big problems in the game though (excluding massive multiplayer issues), the AI and the absolutely terrible diplomacy. War, although on the AI part incompetent, it very fun, and gameplay is very, very fun, especially with mods like 'building made fun' and 'Infoaddict'. Definitely give it another go, and if you still don't like it, try it again with mods.

I tentatively agree with Revoran. There are people who will never like Civ 5 because they just don't like the overall direction. I would suggest, however, that individual players aren't really good at evaluating that for themselves; that even some players who spent a lot of time talking themselves into believing that there is something conceptually wrong with Civ 5 might actually have just needed better balance and transparent diplomacy to like it.

If you already own it, play it again with a fresh set of eyes. It is that much better. You may not like it the second time around, but you won't know unless you try it again as a totally new title.

The game is much improved with the most recent patch. Been playing Civ since 1991 and probably have more time into it than any other franchise (XCOM and MOO are probably close)

If you're someone who just doesn't like civ5 at a fundamental level (or if you're like some of the people on these forums who continue to post unhelpful troll posts in every other thread), nothing in these patches will win you over.

That's definitely the most important thing to state: if you just totally hated the basic mechanics of Civ V, then go back to Civ IV or whatever, cause the core game isn't changing.

However, if you liked the direction of the game but felt there were some flaws/rough edges, the last patch made a lot of good changes, and so I'd give it a shot again. There's a better AI/Diplomacy, lots of changes to production costs/wonders, balancing of some civs, and hotseat, to name a few of the major things. It changed the game a lot, and for the better.

Top Bottom