Healing and Defense Bonus

amphreded

Chieftain
Hi all, can someone break down how a unit would heal and receive defense bonus?

Healing:
- healing outside territory
- healing inside territory but not within city
- healing inside a city
- garrison inside city instead of fortify to heal provides different healing rate?
- move a unit then heal, does this heal or do not heal at all?
- healing inside allied city-states
- medic ability, how this actually work? heal only adjacent allied units or self as well? heal more inside territory, etc.?
- great khan, how does his healing work exactly?

Defense Bonus:
- is there an intrinsic defense bonus inside territory (i.e. not modded by buildings or abilities) or allied city-states?
- defense bonus while garrison in city is greater than while a unit is fortify til healed inside a city?
- when you fortify til healed, is there a difference in defense bonus comparing to just fortify (without healing)?
- do you gain more defense based on terrains? like if you are on a hill or in jungle? do jungle tiles grant more bonus than hill or jungle, or vice versa? do particular terrains have effects on ranged attack or melee attack? (like crossing river to attack penalty?) not taking account of forts or units' abilities here.
- fortify/alert/do nothing, what's the difference in their defense bonus?

thank you!

When it comes to healing, you heal 10 HP if outside your territory, 20 HP if inside your territory (but not in a city) and 25 HP if you are in one of your cities. You only heal if you rest (i.e. do nothing/etc.). Medic/Khan add to this (not to the unit itself), March let you heal even if you move, fight, etc. Since ships can heal in a territory of a CS ally I'm guessing it is treated as your territory for healing purpose.

Defense. If you fortify you get a bonus (+25%, I think, but this is a guess *). The unit start blinking if you did this through alert or heal. In those cases, it retains the defense bonus until it start blink (if he see an enemy, becomes healed).

* (edit) Apparently you get +25% your first turn, but this will rise to +50% after ? turns. Someone who knows about this could perhaps sort out this.

(edit) I have taken the info from:
http://www.carlsguides.com/strategy/civilization5/tips.php

So thanks to Carl, whoever he is.

Wow I didn't know that you get increasing defense bonus upon consecutive turns. I wish there's more explanation on how heal/defense bonus work in-game. Thank you for your answer DemonMaster.

If a unit ends a turn without using any movement points then they will heal and gain fortification bonus. The first turn gives +20% defense and the 2nd gives +40% defense. This is lost if you attack, even if the attack doesn't make you leave the tile. To get a really sweet bonus, position a strong unit with rough terrain promotion on a hill and build a fort or citadel too. and then set it to Fortify.
+rough terrain bonus
+fortify bonus
+Fort/citadel bonus.

If it is also behind a river, enemies will get -50% attack.

If it is in your territory, you get +20 heal. A unit on this tile could last a very long time and gain some insane XP while enemies fruitlessly attack it.

I read somewhere that a unit will only "fortify"/"dig in" if you actually give it the command to fortify, alert, heal, or sleep (depending on the unit type). However, if you just use "skip turn" on the unit, it will NOT "dig in" and it will NOT receive any defensive bonuses. You can distinguish the two types because a legit fortify command will change the unit's icon from a circle to a shield.

I have no idea why the programmers didn't make it so that "skip turn" is considered "digging in".

I read somewhere that a unit will only "fortify"/"dig in" if you actually give it the command to fortify, alert, heal, or sleep (depending on the unit type). However, if you just use "skip turn" on the unit, it will NOT "dig in" and it will NOT receive any defensive bonuses. You can distinguish the two types because a legit fortify command will change the unit's icon from a circle to a shield.

I have no idea why the programmers didn't make it so that "skip turn" is considered "digging in".

It is believed by some (including myself), that 'skip turn' accrues the fortify bonus, though that is not determinable in a single-player game. Has anyone verified this in multiplayer?

Top Bottom