Help test multiplayer on Windows 8/10

deeves

Chieftain
I rewrote the multiplayer library so that it'll work with Windows 8. I don't have Windows 10 to test on, but I hope it'll still work.

https://github.com/vinceho/civ2patch/releases/tag/1.01

The multiplayer feature is disabled by default. If you have used an older version of Civ2Patch, delete the "civ2patch.ini" file and let the application generate a new one. This will write the default multiplayer configuration. Set "multiplayer=1" and rerun Civ 2 using "civ2patch.exe".

On some network, using LAN TCP/IP may not work (unable to find games). If you use "Internet" instead and type in the host IP address, it should be ok.

For those who wants to play Civ 2 online with Windows 8/10, I really hope this will solve your problem. If you decide to use this, please let me know any problems you have encountered. Save your game often :)

Cheers

Hey. Since I had problems to establish a LAN/Internet/P2P connection in Civ 2 MGE under Windows 10 I tried your patch. I followed your instructions, but when i double-click your civ2patch.exe nothing happens - hence I cant "rerun Civ2 using "civ2patch.exe"". Nothing happens. Maybe you can help me out or have some other idea. ATM I think about making a Win XP partition and run Civ 2 MGE on it. Seems to be the only solution left.

Ok, to run Civ2 on Windows 10 basis, I managed to set up a workaround: A virtual machine with Virutalbox with Win XP OS and Civ2 and Evolve in it. Works perfectly fine. Establishing the internet connection was a bit of work though. But finally it works. Yay! :D

Hi. I've tried the multiplayer patch on a Windows 8 machine and it doesn't seem to work. I know it's not my network settings as I tested with Windows 7/Linux and they all connect to the host fine.

(Yes I can set up a virtual machine but I'm trying to do this for someone else who is less tech-savvy)

Well, I do this workaround because Civ 2 MP simply doesnt run on Win 8 or higher. You need an older operating system. Hence, I set up a virtual machine with an older operating system, like Win XP or Win 7. Even then its quite some work to make it run, because of drivers and network adapter settings etc.

Civ 2 MP doesnt run on Win 8 or higher moste likely not because of network settings or connection issues per se, but because of network adapter priorities which are managed differently in Win 8 and higher. I think they have lower priority, which is why Civ 2 MP cannot connect clients and hosts. I worked on this problem quite a bit, like 40-60 hours and researched it on the internet and didnt find any other solution.

Well, you can still go on and try, but I highly recommend using a virtual machine with an older operating system or an older physical machine with an older operating system. If you find any other solution or short cut, especially one which runs Civ 2 MP directly on Win 8 or 10 please let me/us know. If you need any other information, do not hesitate to contact me. Either way, good luck for you!

Yes but my response was in an attempt to see if this patch can work. As sending my friend in the USA a patch is far easier than sending a 4GB+ virtual machine file.

I run Civ II multiplayer via WINE in Linux and it works fine.. so I can try to setup a very small Linux virtual machine I guess to do it.

However I guess that
deeves isn't around anymore to respond to his patch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom