Help with Bryce 6 - Object conversion

Bjornlo

Deity
I've been making this:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=223619

I made the tires for it in Bryce. I figured I'd do it quick and then model in another program once I got a look I liked. Problem is I really really like the tires I made. But, the technique I used is gonna be close to impossible to duplicate in any other program (well maybe not impossible, but really tedious).

The problem now is this tire:

In order to use it in Bryce 5.5 for when I animate it, I need to collapse or convert the boolean object. Because of the weird way Bryce calculates polys for its own booleans, it calls this a 1.7million poly object. Way to much to have 5 of them in an animation. The render times would be measured with a calander.
if I could convert/collapse the boolean, I could export it out as a 3ds or obj. Which when imported back in would probably have less then 10,000 polys. Which is just fine.
But, my system is not beefy enough to do the collapse/conversion. It just hangs for 5-6 hours and eventually crashes Bryce.
My system is a dual core 4800+ with 3gb of ram. Is there anyone with a higherend (or maybe just comparible) system that owns bryce 6 and would be willing to give it a go?

I can't give you the help you're after, but I have an idea. Could you not make the tire hollow? That would cut the surface area about in half, no? And no one sees whether or not the tire is solid or not.

Something along the same line: you could keep the detailed tires for your civilopedia pic of the unit, and make a much simpler one for the actual animation. At civ scale it will not be that visible anyway.

Stormrage,
Right now I'm not that fond of it. I like to make 3d stuff, but I occasionally
patience.

Utahjazz,
I thought of that as well. But, this is a Bryce goofiness thing. In a normal 3d model, a interior typically adds 20% to the polygon count (typically less complex, and smaller than exterior). But, in this case that is not the problem.
The model is a insane 1.7million polygons. But, the displayed image only shows around 1% of this. The rest is because Bryce stores every surface of every object used in the creation of an item until it is exported. At which time, it behaves as a standard 3d object.
I've been making a robot for my son.

In Bryce, just the foot (not ankle, nor leg... just the foot) was around 400k polys. I remade it in C4D and it was less than 8k.
In the above tire, the interior accounts for 256 polys. Meaning it is so trivial it is unlikely to change the results (1699399 -256 = 1699143).

Varwnos,
I thought of that. I "might" do a low poly tire for just the animations. Or I might use Wyrmshadows tire (thanks), or I might just make a proper tire in a modeler. I have not made up my mind.

1699143 polys just for the tires? One of my buildings and wonder splash scenes neared 20 million polys. I'd shudder to know how many polys the complete vehicle is going to be! :D

1699143 polys just for the tires? One of my buildings and wonder splash scenes neared 20 million polys. I'd shudder to know how many polys the complete vehicle is going to be! :D

That wasn't for the tires. That was for TIRE (singular). There are some problem with how Bryce's modeler works. But, I have now fixed it the poly count problem. The new tires with the rims/hubs pictured in the preview thread are just under 35.5k per axel. Maybe just a little high, but do-able.

My highest poly unit was just under 3.5million for the unit (as I recall). Imagine doing several hundred frames of animation on that.
My highest poly scene, is in the "where are they now" thread. The t-rex scene. The background is a 80% complete model of a place close to where I live. The background alone was close to 1.1billion polys. I had to stop work on it because my system is too slow and unresponsive when I work on it. But, I saved my notes, models, scenes and a work list of things to be done so I can finish it later after I upgrade.

Stormrage,
UGH! You deserve some PUNishment. Please go and slap yourself. I wanna hear the pain all the way from here.

That wasn't for the tires. That was for TIRE (singular). There are some problem with how Bryce's modeler works. But, I have now fixed it the poly count problem. The new tires with the rims/hubs pictured in the preview thread are just under 35.5k per axel. Maybe just a little high, but do-able.

My highest poly unit was just under 3.5million for the unit (as I recall). Imagine doing several hundred frames of animation on that... ok kinda a weak statement... since the frames tend to be small. And even at 3.5m, volumetrics and transparencies make a bigger impact on render speeds.

My highest poly scene, is in the "where are they now" thread. The t-rex scene. The background is a 80% complete model of a place close to where I live. The background alone was close to 1.1billion polys.

Stormrage,
UGH! You deserve some PUNishment. Please go and slap yourself. I wanna hear the pain all the way from here.

Top Bottom