Here Patchy Patchy

PDXJoe

Chieftain
Just anxiously awaiting the release of the next patch. I would like to play a stable game on a map other than 'tiny'.

I dont mind waiting if I know that they are working to solve ALL of the major issues (mem leak, et al)

a few weeks ago they said a few weeks. Not that it means anything. I still get random crashes owned the game what 5 months or something now.... I am really disappointed. Its not like I have some weak or wierd system. Nvidia, Asus, AMD...

It really just comes down to shoddy programming. I am sorry to say it but it must be said. The game's graphics are blocky and crappy, why is it so hard to make it run right??? I have played many Current flight sims that have to deal with a lot more going on than Civ does yet they do it flawlessly.

Sid get it together they are ruining your name and the name of Civ...

I havent ever been so disappointed in a game developer before....

Raider62 said:
It really just comes down to shoddy programming. I am sorry to say it but it must be said. The game's graphics are blocky and crappy, why is it so hard to make it run right??? I have played many Current flight sims that have to deal with a lot more going on than Civ does yet they do it flawlessly.

Sid get it together they are ruining your name and the name of Civ...

I havent ever been so disappointed in a game developer before....

I really agree with you. I just purchased Silent Hunter 3 from UBI, and this game is a hardware hungry piece of software, and all I had was the minmum system specs, and it worked like I had the full recommended specs. Version 1.0 right out of the box ran like a charm. The required system specs alone would choke more than one horse, and I have to tell you, this game worked wonderfully. They came out with a patch soon after that added so much to the game it was crazy.

I have too say UBI still holds my interest. Now that may not be for others...

Later!

I am with you guys, I play Battlefield 2 on high graphics settings and it plays fine. The fact that Civ IV, with simple animations, causes my above spec box to crap out is inexcusable. If I can't play the maps/settings I want, then I am not playing until I get a fix for all this.
Frankly, I don't blame those who have returned the game.

I would like to see more coverage in the news of Civ IV's flaws. Considering nearly everyone I know in RL (real life) who bought Civ IV has had a problem with this game (about 6 people)..and the amount of traffic I've seen on this BB, and others I've looked at, I can only imagine that these problems have affected a huge number of folks..yet the news sites are silent? <insert conspiracy theory here>

Yes it dose appear odd that EVERY major game news site gave it a high rating and also claimed the game was stable at version 1.0. Yes im sure theres a few out there that complain of the problems but somethings odd about gamespot calling the game stable at release and crap. Its been almost 5 months and only two patches? This next one better fix it all and i stress the word all. :sad:

Most of the game reviewers have top of the line PCs. Civ 4 completely fried my 1GHZ Proc and Mobo after a few weeks of playing. They do need a patch to fix some of the odd bugs.

it would be good if you put in the specs of your system so that we can try to see what hardware is causing the error. I must agree that the game is a resource hog video to be exact. But I had no problem running v1.0 of civ. the only problem i get is when closing the game. it takes so much time for things to return to normal ie system is quite slow other than that everything was fine.

system specs
AMD Sempron 2200+ (1.5ghz)
MSI KM4AM-L
256MB ATI Radeon All-in-wonder x800xt
1Ghz RAM (512x2)

filcivfan said:
it would be good if you put in the specs of your system so that we can try to see what hardware is causing the error. I must agree that the game is a resource hog video to be exact. But I had no problem running v1.0 of civ. the only problem i get is when closing the game. it takes so much time for things to return to normal ie system is quite slow other than that everything was fine.

system specs
AMD Sempron 2200+ (1.5ghz)
MSI KM4AM-L
256MB ATI Radeon All-in-wonder x800xt
1Ghz RAM (512x2)

With most games I would say its usually that the users computer is not up to spec but I gotta say this game is buggered. And the lack of official communication from the developers/programmers whoever really steams me. That is crappy customer service to say the least... I've had it with these "new" games that require hours of tweaking and testing ON MY PART to get the damn things to work. I bought the game to relax and enjoy it, not spend hours on forums searching for a miracle...

AMD 3100+ 2.16ghz
Nvidia 6800 GT
2 gig ram

Have the same issues as you guys. My specs are below. It seems as if game companies are leaning towards releasing crappy products in return for lots of $$$ with little to none support. IE COD2

Specs
3.0ghz P4 Hyperthreading Enabled
1 Gig of RAM (PC3200)
160GIG Hardrive (7200RPM) SATA
ABIT IS7-M Mobo
9600XT (tried it with an X800XT too same results)

Kid

I know my computers no speed machine but it blows the reccomended specs out of the water still.

2.4 Ghz P4
1 GB PC2100 DDR ram
Geforce 5700LE
Windws XP Home Edition
Sound Blaster Live! Sound Card

And i can play games that have way better graphics then civ 4 like doom 3 HL2 warhammer and act of war.

I have not had one problem with crashing, overheating, CTD, or the game freezing or rebooting my computer it just runs slow.

No disrespect, and I honestly appreciate the offer to help, but I'd rather wait until something offical from Firaxis/2K comes out. I've tried the memsaver settings (doesn't even show up in my latest patch civ.ini file)..and the player-created patch that showed up on these boards. I'm tired of chasing shadows..it's too frusterating.

FWIW, I'm running an AMD 64 bit 3200 processor, 1 gig RAM, 256 meg ATI 9600 video card, MSI motherboard. Above spec machine.
Like I said, I play Battlefield 2 on high graphics every night for hours and have never had a problem.

It all comes down to poor software development, I'm afraid. I'll just wait until the next patch appears, and hopefully then I can get back to the game I love.

Hell the way this is going I will be moved on to the next game before the patch comes out. Nice knowing you Civ4. Sid enjoy my $50 you wont be getting any more....

Well i can understand the fustration, everytime my pc got rebooted id curse.

But underneath it all is a cool game.
And personally: I was a civ III graphics fan, but the graphics on civ iv have grown on me.

Anyway, i didnt know there was a patch coming, is it for performance+stability?.

El

ellie said:
Well i can understand the fustration, everytime my pc got rebooted id curse.

But underneath it all is a cool game.
And personally: I was a civ III graphics fan, but the graphics on civ iv have grown on me.

Anyway, i didnt know there was a patch coming, is it for performance+stability?.

El

About a month ago Thamer (head programmer) said it would be a few weeks. Not sure what they are doing but hope it fixes my game. Won't matter much now though. Owned the game since it came out what 4 months ago and its been utterly useless and frustrating. Kinda ruined the whole Civ thing for me.

I must voice my agreement with this thread. In any other case, with so much documented customer complaint the Better Business Bureau or some other Consumer watchdog would have made a media frenzy out of this - just because it's a game - no one cares.

What I say - Class Action Lawsuit against the companies in question! I've wasted far too much of my time and money on this game programmed by blind deaf monkeys to just go silently into that good night :mad:

But what do you care.. 2k, Sid, Firaxis - you've already got my $65.00 Can. - but as others have said - you'll never see anothe cent from me:nuke:

Pray for a miracle, the next patch better be one :jesus:

You'll do more by not buying there products in the future than anything else. My understanding is that there has never been a successful Class Action or even so much as a fine levied at a computer game developer over poor software. Just a shame they tarnished the Game's name by forcing it out before Christmas.

I wouldn't be surprised that when they release this "new" patch, another one will be in the works, again. So why don't they release one now, to satisfy our already one month wait and work on the next?

exhile said:
I wouldn't be surprised that when they release this "new" patch, another one will be in the works, again. So why don't they release one now, to satisfy our already one month wait and work on the next?

Perhaps you'd like a half-finished patch that would fix some problems, but cause new ones?

Patience is a virtue. I know you're anxious to play, but surely you can wait a little longer?

How long until this thread dissovles into another "let's bash Firaxis/Sid/2K" fest?

scienide09 said:
Perhaps you'd like a half-finished patch that would fix some problems, but cause new ones?

Patience is a virtue. I know you're anxious to play, but surely you can wait a little longer?

How long until this thread dissovles into another "let's bash Firaxis/Sid/2K" fest?

I've been waiting since the game came out. What's that 5 months or so now??? How long should I wait before you think its acceptable to voice my frustration with the game??? As for waiting and patience I am done with CIV, the developers ruined it for me. My patience went out about 2 months ago. But thanks for your opinion that I should just be patient that's easy to say when your game works...

scienide09 said:

I'm already playing Civ4 with the 1.52 patch but the game still needs some fixer uppers. Hey, even if it's a half-finished or completely-finished patch, the developers aren't going to cover all the bugs that may arise with the new patch. Sure, I waited two-three weeks when there were rumors of a new patch but now it's been almost a month. How much more patience do Civ4 gamers have to put up with?

Top Bottom