Heroes IV, a likely source for unit animations?

Yorgos

imagine...
I think I should have brought that a long time ago. The strategy game Heroes IV (recently V came out) can be a great source for new fantasy units. The models are exactly what civ3 uses, only significantly bigger. The problem is how to turn them to flc format. The only way I can think of is using a capture screen program, which requires a lot of patience. I am not interested in doing this, but there might be other people out there who would like to give a try. If anyone needs more information or screenshots, just ask.

That's the problem, they are not in a standard format. Most of the games' data lies in a huge 600MB file. Only one with good programming skills may find a way.

There are various free or demo capture screen programs available on the internet, though most of them are poor. Of course there is always the possibility of frame by frame capture, but I don't even want to think how much time it takes. But I'm sure we can take advantage of the sounds easily, at least.

sounds alot like hacking to me... I don't think that would be a viable option. One thing that's made these forums such a success over the years is the high ethical standard. I wouldn't want to compromise that.
Just my 2 cents...

TopGun69 said:
sounds alot like hacking to me... I don't think that would be a viable option. One thing that's made these forums such a success over the years is the high ethical standard. I wouldn't want to compromise that.
Just my 2 cents...

I can see your point. But considering that Heroes IV came out about 4 years ago and that there's a new version in stores now, I don't think it's unethical or property stealing. If something, it would work more as an advertisment. And units have been converted from other games in the past as well.

Yorgos said:
And units have been converted from other games in the past as well.

Yes, but AFAIK, they were converted with the explicit OK from the respective game publisher. Ask Steph how he went about getting the OK if you are that interested in the Heroes IV units.

Top Bottom