Hidden agendas and how to use them to your advantage

avl8

Prince
There is secret dimension in single player games which is very fun to uncover.

This is hidden agenda game mechanic.
Every AI has a visible agenda that everyone knows about. And also a secret one that is a secret at the start of the game. Both agendas affect relations with other AI, and more important, AIs' relations with a human player.

And if you know both agendas, you can play around them and get a long term advantage. If you need it, of course.

The main game aspect about uncovering agendas is diplomatic visibility (DV). It is your ability to gain access into a civilization secrets. You can gain more access to AI' secrets during the game via special actions.

Diplomatic visibility is displayed as a part of Intel report interface when you come to talk with the AI. It is called "Access level" there. So DV and access level are actually the same thing.

There are 5 levels of diplomatic visibility:

None. You start here with every AI when you first met them. Without any investment you will know if AI will use a weapon of mass destruction, declare war on someone, conquer a city or found a religion.

Limited. To gain this level and levels below you need to make some investments. You gain knowledge when AI gain an alliance, change government, denounce someone, found a city, make a trade deal or reneged from one.

Open. You will know when AI construct some district, start a wonder, reveal a secret agenda or recruit a great person.

Secret. You will know when AI send their envoy to a certain city-state, trained settlers and finished research of civics and technologies.

Top secret. You will know when AI get a mass destruction weapons, change their entire game goals, prepare for war, launch an actual attack and start projects.

Reaching a certain access level provide knowledge of every level above. So, when you gain top secret level you still know everything from Secret and Open access levels.

Bad news are currently gossip system interface is poorly implemented. There is no ingame united log of events and these events are spammed and dissapear during AI's turn. So if you miss some information, you can access it in a gossip section of each AI, which is kinda awkward.
For example, if you want to know if some AI started a crucial wonder you must scan through all gossip sections in AI interface.
I hope devs will make game interface better in the future (and probably fire its current developing manager).

Good news are all that information is merely a shadow of a true gameplay advantage of playing by both AI agendas: shown and hidden.
As you might notice, you need "Open" level of diplomatic visibility to uncover AI's secret agenda.

How you gain such access?

There are several methods to raise access level, each provide +1 level:

1. Send a delegation to AI. It costs 25 gold on standart speed. The trick is on higher difficulties you can easily miss that opportunity. You have to send a delegation on the first occasion or AI wont accept it. Delegation will also raise AI's opinion on you by a small margin. Which has some long term consequences.
Also, when you research Diplomatic service civic, you can offer AI 50 gold for a permanent embassy, which is working the same way as delegation. And your delegations are gone obsolete by this point (gotta confirm that).

2. Send a trade route to AI. It has opportunity cost of not having an internal trade route. And its actually a strong investment into building good relations with AI Id recommend for every peacemonger if you choose a path of diplomacy.

3. Send a spy on Listening post mission. This is a strong midgame tool, which is available after you research a Diplomatic service civic (renaissance era) and build a spy. Or just play Catherine, she gets her first spy capacity upon researching Castles technology (medieval era).

4. Become an ally of AI. This is a very strong advantage and a source of inspiration moment. Its available when you research Civil service technology (medieval era).

5. Research Printing press technology (renaissance era), which provide +1 access level with every AI civilization in game.

6. Recruit and expand Mary Katherine Goddart, a modern era great merchant. She provides +1 access level with every civilization.

7. Play Catherine de Medichi. She got nice Catherine's Flying squadron signature ability which provides +1 access level with every civilization from the very beginning of a game.

As you may see, early in the game you can uncover a hidden agenda by 1) sending delegation to AI, 2) sending a trade route to AI.

What benefits you gain out of these investment?

1. Bonus influence with AI, good for relations and future trade and research agreements.
2. AI less likely declares on you. You can have less military, less unit maintenance and can focus on expansion and infrastracture. Especially good if you have Classical republic government with no military policies available.
3. You can gain an early friendship declaration, which ensure they wont declare on you until it ends (gotta confirm this one)

And, finally, by raising access level to Open you know what exact hidden agenda AI has.

Here is a list of known hidden agendas:

Air power. AI will build planes, lots of planes. They will like you if you have many planes yourself. Or dislike you if you have less planes than themselves.

City-state ally. AI likes you if you dont compete for the same city-state allegiance. AI will hate you if you get a suzerene status with city-state they are suzeren of. They will love you if you invest envoys, gain bonuses but wont get a suzeren status.

Exploitative. AI will clear tile features, tend to improve tiles. AI will like you if you have a high percentage of improved tiles (more than 50%?) or build a national park (Conservation civic, modern era). You can chop everything, they will love you for it.

Populous. AI will grow its cities to a maximum size. AI will like you if you also have high population (or many medium size cities?). AI wont like you if you play small.

Devout. AI will focus on generating faith. AI will like you for your high faith output. Or hate if you have no faith output.

Heavy industry. AI will focus on production. You already got it: he will like/hate you depending on how much industry you produce.

Ideologue. AI will like others with the same type of government. They won't like if you have a different government and will hate you if you have a different government from the same tier it has (Oligarchy when they have Classical republic).

Money grabber. AI will focus on gold generating practices. They will like others who gain large sums of gold per turn (higher than themselves?).

Environmentalist. AI will build national parks and grow forests (late game feature!). They will hate others who clear tiles out of features and chop forests. Beware!

Civilized. AI is fond of killing barbarians. They will like other barbarian hunters. They will not like others who ignore barbarian encampments.

Additional hidden agendas on behalf of CaiusDrewart:
Darwinist: Likes to see civilizations at war, and believes in constant struggle.
Nuke Happy: Has no hesitation to use nuclear weapons. Respects other civilizations that project strength with nuclear weapons.
Explorer: Tries to reveal the map, and likes civilizations that have explored less of the map than itself and dislikes civilizations that have explored more. (I hate this one, I think it should be reversed to the AI admires good explorers.)
Cultured: Tries to build up culture, likes civs with lots of culture.
Paranoid: Likes civilizations who pose no threat. Dislikes civilizations with strong militaries or ones with nearby cities. (Despite the game designers stating that hidden agendas would never conflict with stated agendas, Cleopatra can get this agenda.)

An another fun find by Roxlimn:

Fun-loving: This AI will love you if you keep your cities flush with Amenities. It will hate you if you regularly and constantly operate under negative Amenities.

Each hidden agenda at the moment have its unique complain/compliment text. So AI will come to you to compliment or complain with the same exact text which is a function of their hidden agenda. You can find a number of these useful quotes found by BBInMass in his great posts below. Or you can learn the quotes by playing alot with AI.

Id like to add more agendas to the list. Feel free to post more hidden agendas here!

Here are some final thoughts, guys.

First, learning about agendas is useful for any kind of single player game. It is a strong option for peaceful players who wants to focus on building things and invest into infrastracture. If you like playing peacefully, you can try it and will probably like the way it is implemented (or will be balanced in the future).

Second, playing with hidden agendas is not a fun for everyone. If you like playing Grommash/Gilgamesh games with fast rushes you wont like this kind of stuff. Agendas, diplomacy, soft power, trading, building relations has its fans however.

Third, the agenda game mechanic has a great potential for single player. At the moment its interface is not a friendly one. It is playable but not intuitive. I hope devs will make it better in a balance patch or in an expansion. Im pretty sure they will add more agendas and balance current ones. Or our modders do it :)

And finally, playing with agendas will get you a special achievement Secret Service. You need a top secret status with 5 other civilization.

Guys, I hope you get a useful insight on hidden agendas. Please comment, argue and make suggestions. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Some other hidden agendas:

Darwinist: Likes to see civilizations at war, and believes in constant struggle.
Nuke Happy: Has no hesitation to use nuclear weapons. Respects other civilizations that project strength with nuclear weapons.
Explorer: Tries to reveal the map, and likes civilizations that have explored less of the map than itself and dislikes civilizations that have explored more. (I hate this one, I think it should be reversed to the AI admires good explorers.)
Cultured: Tries to build up culture, likes civs with lots of culture.
Paranoid: Likes civilizations who pose no threat. Dislikes civilizations with strong militaries or ones with nearby cities. (Despite the game designers stating that hidden agendas would never conflict with stated agendas, Cleopatra can get this agenda.)

I believe there is also a naval one and a great person one.

Thanks, added these to the list.

Paranoid Cleo is kinda controdictive person :)

If she really can get this hidden agenda, thats devs fault imo, and should be fixed.

One small correction: Exploitative hates you if you build a National Park, but you said they will like you for it.

Fun-loving: This AI will love you if you keep your cities flush with Amenities. It will hate you if you regularly and constantly operate under negative Amenities.

Since you begged someone who knows XML to take a look at the file. I wasted a bunch of time doing that. Damn you for piquing my curiosity!

I did some analysis of some of the XML files and tried to match the agenda(s) that trigger the messages. I've attached an spreadsheet which merges the values from the "DiplomacyStatements_KudosAndWarnings_Text.xml" file (I used en_us localization). With the values Trait Modifier values from the "Agendas.xml" file.

I started with entries in the statements file that began after the comment
<!-- Generic kudos for random agendas -->
and
<!-- Generic warnings for random agendas -->

I included some entries after that were marked with the following comment in the XML. I
marked them in the spreadsheet as "False" in the implemented column
<!--Warnings for future random agendas (not yet implemented)-->

Some notes.
Spoiler :
1. Some messages (probably) can not be triggered, because of bugs in one of those two files. For example the code for the message is in the statements file, but the code in the agenda file do not match. In the case where it looked like just a typo, I provided the corrected code in the spread sheet.
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_ AGENDA_WONDER_ADVOCATE (extra space character before Agenda)
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_ AGENDA_WONDER_ADVOCATE (extra space character before Agenda)

2. Some messages (probably) are triggered, because the code has a typo in it but it matches in both files
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_ AGENDA_GREAT_PERSON_ADVOCATE (extra space character before Agenda)
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_ AGENDA_GREAT_PERSON_ADVOCATE (extra space character before Agenda)

3. Other statements (probably) can not be triggered because a different statement matches. And there is a typo anyways
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_HIGH_PROTECT_CITY_STATES (doesn't match any agenda, but)
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_PROTECT_CITY_STATES (matches AGENDA_HIGH_PROTECT_CITY_STATES except)
There is an extra S in PROTECTS in the agendas file.

LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_HIGH_ATTACK_CITY_STATES (doesn't match any agenda, but)
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_ATTACKS_CITY_STATES (matches AGENDA_HIGH_ATTACK_CITY_STATES
except)
There is an extra S in ATTACKS in the agendas file.

4. Other statements (probably) can not be triggered because the StatementKey attribute is missing in the Agendas file. I corrected that in this spread sheet and noted it in the corrected agenda column.
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_MED_PROTECT_CITY_STATES
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_MED_ATACK_CITY_STATES (also missing a T in ATTACK)

AGENDA_MED_PROTECT_CITY_STATES and AGENDA_MED_ATTACK_CITY_STATES are missing an xml element that specifies the code of the statement.

5. These statements don't match anything and that is probably correct:
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_ANY
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_ANY

6. These statements don't match anything and there was a comment saying they are not implemented yet:
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_PARANOID
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_PARANOID

7. These warning statements don't match anything, but the Kudo statements do match. If the kudo trigger is just initial value, then how does it detect the warning ? (Probably) some functionality is missing, but I will give credit to Firaxis for putting the comment in the xml stating they aren't implemented yet.
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_ENVIRONMENT
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_EXPLOITATION
Here are the kudos
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_ENVIRONMENT
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_EXPLOITATION

8. These statements say they are not implemented but they do match in the Agenda file, so they might actually work.
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_HIGH_AIRPOWER
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_ATTACKS_BARBARIANS
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_SAME_GOVERNMENT
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_HIGH_NUKE_LOVE
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_HIGH_FAITH
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_LOW_EXPLORATION
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_LOW_AIRPOWER
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_ATTACKS_CITY_STATES
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_IGNORES_BARBARIANS
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_DIFFERENT_GOVERNMENT
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_LOW_NUKE_LOVE
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_LOW_FAITH
LOC_DIPLO_WARNING_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_HIGH_EXPLORATION

9. There is a kudo for "enjoys war" which has much more complicated trait modifiers than all of the other statements. Note that it has "initialValue=8" but also a ReductionTurns=10 and ReductionValue=-1.
LOC_DIPLO_KUDO_LEADER_ANY_REASON_AGENDA_ENJOYS_WAR
There is no warning for "enjoys war", what ? I think this is the only one that doesn't have a counterpart ??

I will try and create a nice simple table here in this forum for people who don't want to open the spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Kudos_Warnings_With_Matching_Agendas_And_Modifier_Values.xlsx
    38.8 KB · Views: 517
The following statements had matching agendas, and were not marked as "not implemented" by firaxis.

Statement Text (en_us)|Kudo or Warning?|Agenda Code|Trigger Value|Other Values
It is in combat that the true soul of a civilization is revealed. May the best man win.| KUDO| AGENDA_ENJOYS_WAR| 8| ReductionTurns=10, ReductionValue=-1
I am impressed with the unique culture your people are developing.| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_CULTURE| 6 |
You are not doing much to develop a strong culture. What will we have to remember about your people?| WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_CULTURE| -6 |
I'm hearing talk that your people want to celebrate your rule. Nice job keeping them happy.| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_HAPPINESS| 6 |
You might want to look into a few more amenities for your citizens. I don't think they are enjoying your rule.| WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_HAPPINESS| -6 |
Your treasury is filling up quite nicely. It's always nice to have such strong income, isn't it?| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_INCOME| 6 |
Your empire is headed toward bankruptcy. How can you survive with debt piling up?| WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_INCOME| -6 |
I extend my heartiest congratulations on the productivity of your people.| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_INDUSTRY| 6 |
Your people are lazy and unworthy. If you can produce nothing, your civilization will soon be forgotten.| WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_INDUSTRY| -6 |
The number of people living in your empire is truly impressive.| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_POPULATION| 6 |
There are so few people living in your empire. It must be hard to get anything done.| WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_POPULATION| -6 |
I am impressed with the depth of your scientific research.| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_SCIENCE| 6 |
You are not spending much time on research. How will your people keep up?| WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_SCIENCE| -6 |
I love a leader who is surrounded by an impressive military.| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_STANDING_ARMY| 6 |
You have so few troops. Aren't you scared for your life?| WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_STANDING_ARMY| -6 |
We are true friends with the smaller civilizations. We appreciate that you recognize this fact.| KUDO| AGENDA_MODIFIER_NOT_COMPETING_MINORS| 12 |
You tread on dangerous ground by making common cause with city-states. Leave them to us.| WARNING| AGENDA_MODIFIER_COMPETING_MINORS| -6 |
I am pleased to see that the great minds of the world prefer our empire to yours.| KUDO| AGENDA_MODIFIER_GREAT_PERSON_ADVOCATE_LAG| 6 |
Your recruitment of great people we coveted is becoming a real problem.| WARNING| AGENDA_MODIFIER_GREAT_PERSON_ADVOCATE_LEAD| -6 |
Do you not realize that we are supposed to be the preeminent builders of wonders?| WARNING| AGENDA_MODIFIER_WONDER_ADVOCATE_LEAD| -6 |

Last edited:
Wow, these provide many useful insights on game mechanic and its realization!

BBInMass, what a decent job done! Thank you very much!!

Very useful, thanks!

These statements were marked as not implemented by Firaxis, however they do match trait modifiers in the Agendas.xml file. So they probably work. It would be nice to mark them as confirmed if we can verify a statement as working.

Statement Text (en_us)|Kudo or Warning?|Agenda Code|Trigger Value|Other Values|Confirmed?
These Barbarians have been a nuisance to us all. Thank you for your help!|KUDO|AGENDA_CLEARS_BARBARIAN_CAMPS|6|
How can you let those Barbarians run amok so close to your home?|WARNING| AGENDA_IGNORES_BARBARIAN_CAMPS|-6|
I see you're a like-minded individual, and must commend your government practices.| KUDO|AGENDA_SAME_GOVERNMENT|6|
Our ideological differences are only the beginning. I cannot approve of the way you govern your people...| WARNING|AGENDA_DIFFERENT_GOVERNMENT| -6|
We have only been given one earth, and I am glad that I am not the only one to respect that.| KUDO| AGENDA_ENVIRONMENT| 0| IncrementValue=0, PlotFeatureRemovedValue=1, NationalParkConstructedValue=1, ForestPlacedValue=1, MaxDiploModifierMagnitude=10, HighThreshold=5, LowThreshold=-3, ScoreAllowancePerEra=2|
The world is ours for the taking! And take it, you have.|KUDO|AGENDA_EXPLOITATION| 0|TileImprovementHighThreshold=75, TileImprovementLowThreshold=25, PlotFeatureRemovalValue=1, NationalParkConstructionValue=1, TileImprovementPreferenceValue=3, MaxDiploModifierMagnitude=10, HighScoreThreshold=15, LowScoreThreshold=-15|
Yes, very good. Leave the exploring to me.|KUDO|AGENDA_LOW_EXPLORATION|6|
There is only so much to discover, and I'm afraid I cannot abide anyone who sets out ahead of my own explorers.| WARNING| AGENDA_HIGH_EXPLORATION| -6|
It is a deplorable thing to bully the weak.|WARNING|AGENDA_HIGH_ATTACK_CITY_STATES|-6|
Peace be to you and yours. It is heartening to see another just as pious as myself.|KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_FAITH|6|
What guides you? Surely, you cannot believe in nothing. Come, show your people the light!|WARNING| AGENDA_LOW_FAITH| -6|
Great minds think alike, I see. There are so many uses for that technology...| KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_NUKE_LOVE| 6|
Nuclear weaponry is the future! How can you not see that?|WARNING|AGENDA_LOW_NUKE_LOVE|-6|
I must say, the power of your airforce is not one to be trifled with. Very nice.| KUDO|AGENDA_HIGH_AIRPOWER|6|
There is no glory to keeping your feet on the ground. You should really try building an airforce.|WARNING|AGENDA_LOW_AIRPOWER| -6|

Wow, these provide many useful insights on game mechanic and its realization!

BBInMass, what a decent job done! Thank you very much!!
Thanks. I have to admit I was surprised on the number of statements that seem to be unimplemented are possibly broken, because of simple issues like typos, or missing rows in the Agendas.xml. It made me a sad panda.

These statements likely do not work because of errors in either the Agendas.xml or the DiplomacyStatements_KudosAndWarnings_Text.xml (for en_us).

Statement Text (en_us)|Kudo or Warning?|Agenda Code|Trigger Value|Notes
Your protection of a city-state's right to exist sets an example for all the world to follow.|KUDO| AGENDA_HIGH_PROTECT_CITY_STATES| 6|Protects has an S in the code in one file and not the other. Plus there is another agenda/code with the same code.
It makes me happy that you leave the wonder building to us.| KUDO|AGENDA_MODIFIER_WONDER_ADVOCATE_LAG|6|Extra space character in the name of the statement code. That does not match in the other file

These statements likely do not work because of missing rows in the Agendas.xml that would match the code in the DiplomacyStatements_KudosAndWarnings_Text.xml (for en_us).

Statement Text (en_us)|Kudo or Warning?|Agenda Code|Trigger Value
Consider this a warning. Do not attack the minor powers again.|WARNING|AGENDA_MED_ATTACK_CITY_STATES|-3
The strong should protect the weak. It is good to see you agree.|KUDO|AGENDA_MED_PROTECT_CITY_STATES|3

Finally, These statements likely do not work because their is no matching entry in the Agendas.xml that would match the code in the DiplomacyStatements_KudosAndWarnings_Text.xml (for en_us).

Statement Text (en_us)|Kudo or Warning?|Agenda Code|Notes
It is an admirable thing to look out for those who cannot look out for themselves.|KUDO|{No Matches}|Should match AGENDA_HIGH_ATTACKS_CITY_STATES?
Only cowards attack the small powers of the world. You are worthless to us.|WARNING|{No Matches}|Should match AGENDA_HIGH_ATTACKS_CITY_STATES?
I am relieved to see that your empire poses no threat to ours.|KUDO|{No Matches}|This is commented by Firaxis as "Paranoid" trait/agendas, but do not seem to be implemented yet.
Your cities are so close. Your troops are so strong. You are making me nervous! |WARNING|{No Matches} |This is commented by Firaxis as "Paranoid" trait/agendas, but do not seem to be implemented yet.
I must tell you that your destruction of our earth is not just affecting you, but your neighbors as well. |WARNING|{No Matches} |Tied to the AGENDA_ENVIRONMENT, but currently there looks like no way to trigger it
Bountiful lands surround you! How can you ignore them? |WARNING|{No Matches}|Tied to the AGENDA_EXPLOITATION, but currently there looks like no way to trigger it

I have seen the "destruction of earth" (fifth line in the table) at some point in my last game. I THINK I've seen the messages on the second and fourth lines previously too, but I could be remembering this wrong.

Woot, so many familiar phrases!
Great job done, BBInMass!!

What I like the most of it is a modifier for every element.
Is it a constant number that is added or substracted from their "like the human player" score?

If so, a +12 modifier for your relations with AI is huge and will most likely result into a declaration of friendship.

Added this one, thank you, Roxlimn!

Updated initial post by adding some comments here and there. Enjoy!

I've definitely seen the "Your cities are so close. Your troops are so strong. You are making me nervous!" dialogue.

Top Bottom