Hidden Nationality Units

Dark Sheer

Deity
I look at the Bug report and can't find this anywhere so here it is:

If you mod a unit to have hidden nationality it cannot attack a AI city. At first I thought this was a new feature for C3C since it works for both vanila and PTW. Then I realised that it is a bug because the bloody AI can attack my cities with those hidden nationality unit!! :mad:

I played thru the conquest scenarios and find the same problem in Sengoku. In this scenarios the Ninja is a hidden nationality unit and I cannot use it to attack AI cities but the AI can attack me!! :eek:

However, if a war is declared then the unit can attack AI cities like normal. It only happen during peace time. :confused:

Please don't tell me nobody else encounter this?:sad:

Well, I don´t know the details of how hidden nationality works, but this might be a logical explanation:

A hidden nationality-unit may only attack if its nationality remains unknown after the combat. This would not be the case when it attacks a town with one or no defender, as the capturing would be a clear sign of the units nationality. If there are at least 2 units in the town, an attack should be allowed.
Thinking of it, the Privateers enslavement capability somewhat contradicts this.

After all, I don´t think it´s a bug. Capturing a town in peacetime should not be allowed. And during war, as you said, there is no problem.

Like I have said, if I can't do it and the AI can't do it then its a feature. But when I can't and the AI can then its a Major Bug. ;)

Anyway, even with hidden nationality AI know that its your unit. And it works in vanila and PTW.

My thoughts were that maybe you can´t attack because the AI has only one unit inside the town (so you might capture the town if you win), while the AI can attack because you have more than one defender in the town.
Sorry for not making my point clear in my first post.
And of course I agree that when the AI is allowed to do something you are not, then it´s probably a bug. :)

Twonky said:
My thoughts were that maybe you can´t attack because the AI has only one unit inside the town (so you might capture the town if you win), while the AI can attack because you have more than one defender in the town.
Sorry for not making my point clear in my first post.
And of course I agree that when the AI is allowed to do something you are not, then it´s probably a bug. :)

I can confirm that AI had more than 1 unit. I investigated the town. I even tried it out by declare war then attack. So is it just me? Noone else played the Sengoku scenario and notice this? :confused:

I've never tried myself but I thought I read somewhere a common strategy for Sengoku was to use Ninja's to steal attack assassinate the Shoguns. Obviously, due to the AI's poor use of the king unit (it will never leave its capital no matter what as far as I have seen) you would need to be able to attack towns with hidden nationality units.

Dark Sheer said:
I can confirm that AI had more than 1 unit. I investigated the town. I even tried it out by declare war then attack. So is it just me? Noone else played the Sengoku scenario and notice this? :confused:

I noticed this, and I am annoyed at this. It was also reported a long time ago.

Because of teh AI's obsession with HN units, and they can do that, I basically avoid that situation, or at least avoid it as long as possible. Very annoying for them to suddenly come and steal your cities.

The AI can attack your cities with HN units, but you can't do the reverse. I have no idea why this is or why this should be. On the other hand, when an enemy HN unit pillages your land or steals a Worker, the notification text will reveal its nationality (you can't do anything about it, though). In Sengoku, Ninjas are good for pillaging and kidnapping in peacetime. The assassination trick only works when you declare war while a Ninja is within striking distance of the Daimyo (bear in mind, Ninjas are amphibious, so it's entirely possible to stick a couple of Caravels right outside enemy borders, have them wait to refresh their MP, then declare war and replace an entire mighty empire with rubble in a single turn!). Another annoying thing: Captured Workers show the HN unit's true nationality. Because of this, reclaiming them will incite a war, and they can actually protect their captors from retaliation! Stockholm syndrome, anyone?

It's because the AI cheats. This is obvious in m ay aspects, but this type of cheating I have never heard of before......it makes me angry!

Top Bottom