Historical Victory Videos

Hickman888

Prince
Hey everyone,

I noticed there was a severe lack of content being made for this great mod. Yes, there are a few YouTube videos out there, but I wanted to create some videos of my own, showing you guys how I achieved the historical victories for the civilizations.

Before I got started, there were a lot of questions about how I would format the video. How long should the video be? I thought about editing the video down to roughly 20 minutes, something that is more likely to be watched in a single sitting. I decided against it, at least for now. What parts would I edit out? How would I provide context for what was missed once I skipped through 20-30 turns? Would I speed up through the unimportant turns? I didn't know how to tackle these questions for my first video, so I decided to just upload the full gameplay. Civilization games are, by their nature, long format, so I decided a long video would be appropriate. I'm open to editing future videos down. Maybe releasing a full video, and an edited video.

I'm very open to any and all suggestions on making my video better, ideas on how to improve my game, etc.! My goal is I want to make several of these videos now with the current map, and hone in on my video making skills. That way, when the new map gets released, I can create videos for all of the civilizations there, and have it be of respectable quality. The videos will hopefully not only show you guys how to win historically with the civilizations, but also bring more attention and people back to Civilization 4, and this beautiful mod!

Anyways, feel free to watch the video for 10 seconds, 10 minutes, or the full 2 and a half hours. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Also, I will consider your suggestions for who I should play for the next video!

Thanks, guys :)

Which civilizations are you planning on playing and not playing?
For the current map, I plan on playing any civilizations suggested to me, or if none are, I'll pick any that interest me. I'm thinking of playing Japan for my next game, as that is a difficult game for many people. The only three that I'm gonna have to blacklist from playing for now are Indonesia, Argentina, and Brazil, because those games require extreme playstyles in order to pull off a victory (settling Siberia as Indonesia, conquering Britain for Argentina/Brazil).

When the new map eventually comes out, I plan on making videos on all of the civilizations.

Usually a guy out there makes these videos, but then he gets an emotional crisis gets mad and deletes his videos.
That guy being me.

I might remake other videos, but currently waiting for the new map becoming publicly released.

Emotional crisis? Make sure your stability is shaky or above.

Emotional crisis? Make sure your stability is shaky or above.
I've gotten some checks lately where it went below 0, but nowhere close to -10. So i'm safe.
Tho i did had a collapsing stability check when i was 15. Nearly collapsed myself.

Also, lately hadnt had much time for videomaking. Work and study has using up all my hammers.

The new map might spark me some interest, as it is way bigger than i thought it was.

Last edited:
For the current map, I plan on playing any civilizations suggested to me, or if none are, I'll pick any that interest me. I'm thinking of playing Japan for my next game, as that is a difficult game for many people. The only three that I'm gonna have to blacklist from playing for now are Indonesia, Argentina, and Brazil, because those games require extreme playstyles in order to pull off a victory (settling Siberia as Indonesia, conquering Britain for Argentina/Brazil).

When the new map eventually comes out, I plan on making videos on all of the civilizations.
I'd like to see Greece, Carthage, Congo, Poland, and Inca. And for the love of God I want to see how Polynesia can get a space victory.

How about an Indian looksee,
or Babylon ;)
I'd like to see Greece, Carthage, Congo, Poland, and Inca. And for the love of God I want to see how Polynesia can get a space victory.
Greece is my favorite civilization to play through, so that'll be on the top of my list. Babylon is also a really quick and simple game, that should be no problem at all.
The new map might spark me some interest, as it is way bigger than i thought it was.
The new map will start a golden age for all of us here in this forum, and you won't have to worry about stability for 8 turns. ;)

Someone in this forum loves to win UHVs the 'historical way'. I think this is the best setting to do it as it forces the player to submit to the 'rules' of the mod (like expansion zones) and to follow the historical spirit of the simulation. It also avoids cheese strategies like day one US war on Britain.
How do you stand in this ?

Someone in this forum loves to win UHVs the 'historical way'. I think this is the best setting to do it as it forces the player to submit to the 'rules' of the mod (like expansion zones) and to follow the historical spirit of the simulation. It also avoids cheese strategies like day one US war on Britain.
How do you stand in this ?
My honest opinion now, after playing this mod extensively across two gamespeeds, and winning as every civilization, is that I will take victories where I can get them. There are a few civilizations (Argentina, Brazil. Indonesia) that I have blacklisted for now, because their historical victories require gameplay that is too far removed from history, for even my taste. But for the rest of the civilizations, they require strategies that are not 100% realistic, but are necessary to implement in order to win (barring a great deal of luck.) If given the choice, I will try to choose the side of historicity, but if I feel that a certain unhistorical strategy is needed to win, I will do that unhistorical strategy, every time.

For your example, I honestly really struggle to take the tech lead to make the wonders as America if I don't occupy England in the 19th century. Not saying that it's impossible, but
A.) I want to showcase a strategy that can work for everybody, without relying too much on micromanagement/luck, and
B.) When making a video, I don't want to be in a situation where I recorded several hours of footage, and then be unable to pull off a victory, just because I purposefully denied myself a strategy that I know works

As another example, in my Greece game I just put out, I invaded Egypt in like 900 BC. Several centuries too early. I did this because I needed the rich lands of Egypt to insure that I was able to reach my vitory goals. If I had waited until like 500 BC, it would be much more uncertain that I could pull off the victory. (Especially considering that military units move one tile every 15 years, in this era.)

The latest episode of Historical Victory videos, Greece, is now available!

For this episode, I have put out, not only the full 75 minute video, but I have also created a shorter 20 minute video, to watch the highlights of the Greek game! So now you have the freedom of enjoying either a full four course meal as you watch the extended version, or just a quick snack, while browsing the 20 minute video.

As always, feedback is appreciated. I have taken a mental note of the fact that my mic needs to be a little louder for the next video, and also that I say "alright" a lot.

I now have requests for Babylon, India, Carthage, Congo, Poland, Inca and Japan, for the next video. Feel free to comment which civilization you would like to see covered next.

Last edited:
Top Bottom