Hit a gharial, got a golden age, tons of free units!? WTF is this!?

Noriad2

Emperor
I updated to latest SVN and started a new game.
I attacked a gharial, got a golden age for free, then got tons of units for free.
Also I went from a minor civ to a "real" civ.

WTF? why the free units? I can't even afford their upkeep so I'll have to delete them. But worse, getting a large number of free units out thin air is spitting in the face of the very concept of a strategy game.

It's like playing a WW2 strategy game as Germany, manage to conquer and destroy England, then in 1944 the invasion of Normandy happens anyway, the invasion fleet and army just spawn out of thin air. I mean, what is the point of simulating an economy if then you bypass it anyway by spawning tons of free units?

Or if you want to attack the AI, scout out a weak target city, build an army capable of overcoming the defenders, then suddenly the AI gets a massive number of defenders there out of thin air.

This sucks hard, makes me lose interest in this game.

upload_2019-9-18_20-3-18.png

Are you using Start as Minor Option?

Also did you delete your old User Setting folder before you started this New game with SVN 11032? Important to do this now.

Or was this SVN 11031? Either way Don't keep old user settings folders anymore.

On what handicap are you are playing?
On higher handicaps buildings are very cheap (units are extremely cheap) for AI.

Maybe you managed to capture those units?
Also you can't see all units if you have Hide and Seek enabled, and you don't have units to see hidden units.

@Joseph: yes start as minors on. I deleted my user setting folder. I have SVN 11032 .
@Raxo: deity/nightmare. I suddenly received a bunch of free units in my capital. 8 military units, a great general, a captive and a stone age worker.
See the screenshot.

EDIT: I also got about 600 gold for free.

@Noriad2 there may be possibility, that you got those units as reward for graduating to fully fledged civ.

Event log even shows, that you became actual civ.
So probably getting enough XP seems to be one of triggers too.

Or you researched Writing or something like that on same turn.

So don't play with "Start as Minor Civs", if you don't want free units and golden age for graduating to fully fledged civ.

Last edited:
Or if you want to attack the AI, scout out a weak target city, build an army capable of overcoming the defenders, then suddenly the AI gets a massive number of defenders there out of thin air.
Do you have the Draft Option on. I think it is in BUG. The one where if you get attacked in your city Or you attack an AI city then your Empire automatically drafts defenders. Number of defenders I think is dependent upon Difficulty level. And this may also be a built in feature for Start As Minors game Option.

And a while back we decided that SAM had some problems an advised Players to use at their Own Risk.

EDIT: Under IDW section in BUG there is the Option for Emergency Draft. Might want to check BUG to see if it is checked ie On. Otherwise It would seem that it is caused by becoming a full Civ from being a minor civ by the Option SAM.

Last edited:
The one where if you get attacked in your city Or you attack an AI city then your Empire automatically drafts defenders.
This is an effect one can gain on Complex Traits. We're looking into some other possible causes but in SOME ways this could be an explanation, if perhaps a Gharial was protecting a city...

I should have said your or Their empire (the empire with the defending city) gets drafted units. Man my fingers can not type all the words in my head! :p

Is Noriad2 using Complex Traits?

And it seems that maybe SAM is now showing it's full self with all the code clean up and optimizing. Who knows? :dunno:

@Joseph: I think you are terribly confused about the situation. You skip or misinterpret a lot of the information I have posted and instead speculate wildly (and incorrectly).

@Raxo:
I play with "start as minor civs" on for immersion reasons. It is known that primitive hunter-gatherer societies were in a state of permanent war with their neighbors.
I'm still in the beginning of Prehistoric. I have researched Soft Hammer Percussion and cooking, and am busy on cultural identity. But I already lost minor civ status and so have most of the other civs. So I think "minor civ" status is lost way too soon. And giving a bunch of free units for it is unrealistic.

My preference would be to have Minor Civ status lost on researching a specific tech, with no additional benefits. Negotiation tech would be fitting from a realism point of view. But perhaps Negotiation tech should then be moved to a bit earlier in the tech tree, like right after Chiefdom.

@Thunderbrd: I think the following happened: I have minor civs option on, I was still in early prehistoric (researching Cultural Identity), I attacked a wild Gharial somewhere in the field with a chaser unit, suddenly got a golden age, 600 gold, and more than a dozen free units (including a Great Person) got magically summoned into my capital out of thin air.

@Thunderbrd: I think the following happened: I have minor civs option on, I was still in early prehistoric (researching Cultural Identity), I attacked a wild Gharial somewhere in the field with a chaser unit, suddenly got a golden age, 600 gold, and more than a dozen free units (including a Great Person) got magically summoned into my capital out of thin air.
Attacking unit is unrelated here - it escaped at that point.
Do you have barbarian civ mod enabled (BarbarianCivs unchecked)?
Start as minor civs is incompatible with barbarian civs game option.
That is those two options clash somewhere.

Upload save before this bug happened.

Last edited:
What does the green text, below the circled yellow text, say?
Can that be from a random event?
either way if you guys are curious enough you could search that text in the xml and get the key, then search for key.

@Joseph: yes start as minors on. I deleted my user setting folder. I have SVN 11032 .

EDIT: I also got about 600 gold for free.

And as discussed on git by the team this is a problem with SAM.

I ask questions then make observations. If that is wildly speculating or being terribly confused to you, for you to understand the process, then so be it.
@Joseph: I think you are terribly confused about the situation. You skip or misinterpret a lot of the information I have posted and instead speculate wildly (and incorrectly).

Everything you experienced, the units, GA ,and Money, are all part of Start as Minors coding. It's just that changes were made that no longer differentiate between a Barb civ going Minor then full vs an AI or Player going from minor to full.

But hey you can figure out. Or you can ask Toffer, T-brd, etc. for verification. I won't try to help you since you deem it confusion and speculation. You are after all the one having the supposed problem.

What does the green text, below the circled yellow text, say?
Can that be from a random event?
either way if you guys are curious enough you could search that text in the xml and get the key, then search for key.
These new text formulations have been doing the rounds recently. There has been some discussion that they are from a mod component called Heart of War, which I'm not familiar with, and which was thought to be turned off.

I think Joseph's right. This is something which happens to barb cities when they become full civs. For some (buggy) reason it is now happening to players.

The whole becoming a full civ thing before Writing should not happen to players either.

Last edited:
These new text formulations have been doing the rounds recently. There has been some discussion that they are from a mod component called Heart of War, which I'm not familiar with, and which was thought to be turned off.
Yeah... still gotta look into that.

@Noriad2 : We've identified why this is happening and have determined that it shouldn't. I'm still looking for some clarity as to what actually qualifies minor civs to advance to a normal one at this point - combat with a Gharial is not a prereq - but yes, much more is happening and it was a holdover from how barb nations becoming a normal civ were originally programmed. We're working on it.

Had the same issue. Pre-historical era long before writing, deity, start as minor civ and barb civs enabled. Event appeared after gaining some hunting exp too. But I thought it's a feature, not a bug) "Ok, that's interesting, maybe other civs got something like this too".

Start as minor civs is incompatible with barbarian civs game option.
Didn't know this. Maybe, you could consider adding a kind of ingame tip about it?

Or you can ask Toffer, T-brd, etc. for verification. I won't try to help you since you deem it confusion and speculation. You are after all the one having the supposed problem.

Apologies if I've insulted you. I have a mounting frustration with people (definitely not just you) who seem unable to read texts and observe pictures/screenshots and understand them fully and correctly, and it was just boiling over.

Top Bottom