Hitler 'tested small atom bomb'

SeleucusNicator said:
1) They had nothing capable of reaching New York or DC.

I saw a clip on the History channel that they invented a bomber that looked awfully like the Stealth Bomber and it was ment as a long ranged bomber to hit DC and NYC.

Bluemofia said:
I saw a clip on the History channel that they invented a bomber that looked awfully like the Stealth Bomber and it was ment as a long ranged bomber to hit DC and NYC.
I think I've seen something to that effect on the History Channel, too.

Bluemofia said:

Yes, the Horten Nurflügler (wing-only). But that had to do with aerodynamics, not stealth.

Babbler said:
Using the bomb as leverage for peace would uncharctoristic of him. Instead, he would a-bombed a total symbolic and statagitical useless target -- Paris or Warsaw would be good guesses.
I don't know if it really was, considering that Hitler could have deployed chemical weapons for battlefield use, but didn't.

The German Long range bomber never really got a chance to leave the drawing board. Not sure if it just came too late in the war, or they decided it was impractical.

Anyway, the British gathered together the top German physicists, placed them in a room and gave them a newspaper about Hiroshima. Being the scientists they were they of course talked about German progress, the American bomb and the things that they still had to overcome to be able to do it. Their conversations were secretly recorded and it showed the German progress was very behind the American program.

Also, the German Nuclear Research's biggest blow was in Norway, where their primary heavy water plant was sabotaged and destroyed. Their heavy water production was crippled after that. And you need heavy water for nuclear bombs, I think it's used in the enrichment process, not sure though.

The allies kept bombing the german research facilities, because the allies own scientist's said the germans were barking up the wrong tree in their attempt to get an atomic weapon.
The bombing of the facilites convinced the germans that they were on the right path even they allies knew they were not.

Damnyankee said:
Thats an interesting alt-hist scenario. hmmnn, what might have been if something like that hapened. Wouldn't have changed the outcome, unless it could have allowed time for a real nuke to be built, then... then you have something :lol:

I take it you did not read my first post in this thread?

It pays to do that before rushing off with an opinion.

blackheart said:
I imagine if Hitler had deployed such a thing most of Europe would be a radioactive wasteland right now.

Doubtful, the Allies had a policy of 'Europe first' - Which would mean that there had to be a Europe to save.

The matter is moot, as the Germans were not even close to making
heavy water, when British commandos destroyed their facitlity in Norway.

I think too many people here have been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein!

:lol:

carlosMM said:
is this nutcase day?

first the faith healing thread where there's people saying they believe in it.
Then people deny plate tectonics

And now some nutcase says Hitler tested a nuke :lol: :crazyeyes:

Azadre, I just hope for your sanity that you do NOT believe this and jsut posted it out of amusement! :)
MM, I posted it because I thought it would stir discussion.

Falcon02 said:
And you need heavy water for nuclear bombs, I think it's used in the enrichment process, not sure though.

You cna use heavy water to moderate the flux of particles in a chain reaction. If you do not moderate it, your reaction will fizzle or blow. Both are not advisable ways to create large amounts of material for bombs :p

Just another sensationalist trying to make a quick buck.

From the area damaged it just seems like conventional high explosives perhaps with some radioactive material thrown in. If it was then I think the only use for it on the battlefield was as a mine. Probably as part of a cities defenses.

samildanach said:
conventional high explosives perhaps with some radioactive material thrown in.

the concept of a 'dirty' bomb wan't understood at all - radioactivity was only viewed as a source of enormous power, but the radiation damage wasn't realized - remember how the US and USSR had thousands of soldiers suffer, even die from radiation exposure when they showed off their bombs?

carlosMM said:
the concept of a 'dirty' bomb wan't understood at all - radioactivity was only viewed as a source of enormous power, but the radiation damage wasn't realized - remember how the US and USSR had thousands of soldiers suffer, even die from radiation exposure when they showed off their bombs?

Yes. You are quite right.

Hmmm....perhaps the Germans wished to give the impression that they had a real nuke to the allies by exploding this thing and that they might have the capability of destroying London. IIRC the Germans started angling for peace with the west; maybe they thought this would give them some leverage.

Both the soviets and the west might not know about the effects of radiation but they could detect it with their gieger counters.

the thing is: Hitler (and there is ample proof of this) didn't believe in this suspect gizmo-super-boom-and-you-win-weapon. He did believe in others, though. Nutcase.

But he slowed funding, gave the money to the Luftwaffe (repeatedly, the let Göring do as he pleased, which lost Germany the war!), and when the project got underway they chose the heavy water type reactor, which would have taken too long to ge to work anyways.

I invite everyone here to come visit me, I cna take you to the secret underground bunker where they tried to build the thing; it's only a 40 min drive from where I live :) Interesting.

samildanach said:
Yes. You are quite right.

Hmmm....perhaps the Germans wished to give the impression that they had a real nuke to the allies by exploding this thing and that they might have the capability of destroying London. IIRC the Germans started angling for peace with the west; maybe they thought this would give them some leverage.

Both the soviets and the west might not know about the effects of radiation but they could detect it with their gieger counters.
Or maybe they were just running tests. :hmm:

I see this rubbish story of the nazi atom bomb is fast entering the revisionist/fantasy/history mindset.

The whole idea is total rot.

By 1945, the Germans had hardly the industrial power to output more than 100 Tiger II tanks on the entire war fronts.

The idea that Adolf had an atom bomb tucked away, when a powerhouse like the US
strived for several years to create the weapon, even with the greatest minds of the
age at their behest, is blatant nonsense.

If one looks at the industrial situation of the major combatants in WW2, it is obvious
to see that while the 3rd Reich did indeed have a extraordinary design rationale and
a superb ballistics/aeronautical tradition, the atom bomb was always far from the
reach of the nazis...

I suggest people stop watching Hellboy and read up about the real WW2 Germany.

:)

CurtSibling said:
I suggest people stop watching Hellboy and read up about the real WW2 Germany.

:)

Curt, when do you visit and we check out the Haigerloch bunker facility? :thumbsup:

I am still sceptical about this author's claims to make any statement about what if Nazi Germany actually made a bomb:p

I think people have been reading too much science fiction (and listening to too much news) when they believe that any random idiot in a cave can get his own bomb...

The atomic bomb is too simplistic a term to describe a weapon of mass destruction and and its use, so I suggest some of the posters here read up their physics( and history) before going on pointless flights of fancy.

allhailIndia said:
I think people have been reading too much science fiction (and listening to too much news) when they believe that any random idiot in a cave can get his own bomb...

Ummm... I hope you don't mean Werner Heisenberg with the 'random idiot in a cave' thing.

Germany did have notable scientific minds working on their atomic project, though I agree it's farfetched to believe they had a working atomic bomb ready; that contradicts all the previous evidence on the subject.

I read the Der Spiegel article this morning, and the whole tone was very sceptical about this claim.

It would be interesting to learn more about those explosions in Thuringia, though. Unless it's a complete fabrication, the accounts really did sound like some kind of dirty radioactive weapon.

Top Bottom