Holy Man Army Strategy (Updated 3/14)

Do you ever send out religious groups to evangelize the masses, or do you just use single units?

• Yes, I use groups of holy men

• No, I only use single units

• I do both

• I don't really care

Results are only viewable after voting.

Lee Duane Fitzsimmons

Full-time Cat Lover
UPDATE 3/14

Okay, I have built my army, and they are in the middle of a wide evangelistic blitzkrieg that aims to convert two large empires (8 and 14 city kingdoms). I will post screenshots and updates later today.

Later today update

Okay, I have found out one thing, and that is that four gurus were way too many, so I am sending two of them home. I also found out that six missionaries were not enough, so I am sending four additional backup units to replenish my stock of holy minions. Wait, that's two things... :hammer2:

Oh well.... shame on me.... :spank:

I am going to build an army of Holy Men:old::old: to spread the word for my religion......

River Blue Star

It features the River Goddess Pantheon.

The Holy Army will consist of...

• 6 Missionaries
  • 4 Apostles
  • 4 Gurus
I'm in the Renaissance Era on a huge map with half a dozen other civs that vary in size. I'm going to see how far I can get. Right now, my religion is dominant throughout my empire and has spread to a few bordering cities. I will keep this thread updated as things progress.

Has anyone else tried a strategy like this? If so, please share your thoughts. If you think this is a good idea or a lame waste of time, then you should also feel free to chime in. What do you think?

Oh, and I have Mont St. Michel, so my apostles have the Martyr promotion already built in.

Last edited:
I think the mst common strategy is apostle packs. Groups of 3 or 4, to get the upper hand by flanking in religious combat. Probably a polemist to do the first hits, but not necessarily all. Translator, and specially Proselytizer are useful to get youn noticed and an own-religion ground that causes a defensive reaction from the AI.

From there on, combat conversion is the most useful. Having some spare charges to finish off city conversion may be useful, and there Orators and Pilgrims (if you have some Natural Wonder at home or along the way) find its use. If not, you can have some missionaries in second line to do the job, but remind front line is fighting and you do not want them there.

Gurus can be eventually useful (more with the new wonder, altough AI seems to have some bias for it), but I don’t think they qre worth. I normally cycle a 4 apostle group, or 3 3-apostle group, sending damaged ones back for healing and getting a new one in the meantime. Having a Moska holy site in the nearest border is useful.

And that’s it, I think. Thats my personal take basen on the apostle pack strategy. Looking to hear others’ way to go.

I think the mst common strategy is apostle packs. Groups of 3 or 4, to get the upper hand by flanking in religious combat. Probably a polemist to do the first hits, but not necessarily all. Translator, and specially Proselytizer are useful to get youn noticed and an own-religion ground that causes a defensive reaction from the AI.

From there on, combat conversion is the most useful. Having some spare charges to finish off city conversion may be useful, and there Orators and Pilgrims (if you have some Natural Wonder at home or along the way) find its use. If not, you can have some missionaries in second line to do the job, but remind front line is fighting and you do not want them there.

Gurus can be eventually useful (more with the new wonder, altough AI seems to have some bias for it), but I don’t think they qre worth. I normally cycle a 4 apostle group, or 3 3-apostle group, sending damaged ones back for healing and getting a new one in the meantime. Having a Moska holy site in the nearest border is useful.

And that’s it, I think. Thats my personal take basen on the apostle pack strategy. Looking to hear others’ way to go.
Thanks for your comment, Josephias,

Yeah, I'm still debating about the various promotions and how they will be best utilized in the most effective way. The gurus will definitely be at the rear of the group, providing healing to the units that get hit
I normally cycle a 4 apostle group, or 3 3-apostle group, sending damaged ones back for healing and getting a new one in the meantime..

Thirty-three apostles?!? Whoa! that's a lot, bro... :wow:

If you want to spread your religion the martyr ability doesn't seem very useful for the apostles. I always found the orator +20 to theological combat to be the only useful promotion if you're really trying to spread. The -75% to other religions is also incredibly useful, but you only have a few charges. An apostle can convert many more cities by winning theological combat and healing.

The only true religion is Victorious
All others are pushed aside by the victorious masses that come 2x2
2 apostles and 2 missionaries ... yes missionaries flank, sacrifice, ZOC block, and are cost effective when the city is pagan.
There is no point in evangelising without a position on missionaries :thumbsup:
A victorious pack perform a mission and then regroups, perhaps merges and forms a new mission, but 2x2 seems to work just fine. 3 seems excessive, especially considering the opposition.

All I see is dead blue fish and beautiful green butterflies

The only good guru is one unbuilt.

Multiple promotion for 6 charge 75%... then go in 3 packs of 2x2 for max chance. The nice thing about 75% is it does not matter if he is damaged... 75% is 75%

Last edited:
If you want to spread your religion the martyr ability doesn't seem very useful for the apostles. I always found the orator +20 to theological combat to be the only useful promotion if you're really trying to spread. The -75% to other religions is also incredibly useful, but you only have a few charges. An apostle can convert many more cities by winning theological combat and healing.
Smity,

Yeah, I know that the martyr is not very useful for spreading religion, but it is great for getting more way cool things to put in all of your pretty little trophy slots.... :dance:

I think @Noble Zarkon means his religion is so bad that his apostle start with -3 strength.

Yeah, maybe their charismatic leader was caught in some kind of scandal... :gripe:

Okay, here is my Holy Army.

They are in formation and about to go into action.
On the left is Indonesia, and on the right is Sweden.
I am Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the new batch of missionaries coming in, I should have both of the enemy kingdoms converted and brainwashed into my system of cruel mind control... :devil::devil::satan::devil::devil:

Top Bottom