Horsemen???

is this a serious question?

horsemen have that 2 speed which kills

10 horsemen will take a town, 10 archers may not

you should only be building archers to ward off early threats by having your military perceived as strong

not even going to mention the upgrade path

now, swordsmen versus horsemen is a trickier question

Because horsemen is is all that you need to build to win this game before 0AD. Oh yeah and barracks first.

really, their speed and retreat as the key to fast conquesting.

The only case where i made any other military unit (past tense because i just revisit this forum after many years of absence and not playing) was when i did zero research and save money for a while and then would upgrade a few dozen warriors to swordsmen all at once.

choosing iroquis will help make the game really easy.
1) expand to about 10 towns
2) have barracks in each
3) produce nothing but horses/mounted warriors
4) win game long before jezus was around. Even on deity if the start position is reasonable. Bad deity starts or sid level may require different tactics.

of course there might be some details to it, you may want to build 1 or 2 spearmen to park on a mountain in enemy territory for example. You may want marketplaces when your conquest in well on its way but your running into happiness problems etc. But above 4 steps is the basis of a warmongerers civ3 game.

Wacken? Wacken?? he really exists ;)

hi there, good to see you around. what would tempt you to come back for a game or two? you know, i have this idea of a SG of Sid or above-Sid players around for quite a while...

not that i have any time for it. but if you take it, i am sure that I and some others on the list will do so as well.

t_x

Sorry guys, nothing is gonna get me playing now. I am traveling central america and i had to wait 2 hours for a bus so i was bored and got back to visiting webpages i didnt visit in ages. Just thought id see if i could still login to my account. Then just thought i´d reply to some thread and give a little sign of life :p

thats all though, sorry, i am not really back from the dead, still comfortably in my grave :)

Because horsemen is is all that you need to build to win this game before 0AD. Oh yeah and barracks first.

really, their speed and retreat as the key to fast conquesting.

The only case where i made any other military unit (past tense because i just revisit this forum after many years of absence and not playing) was when i did zero research and save money for a while and then would upgrade a few dozen warriors to swordsmen all at once.

choosing iroquis will help make the game really easy.
1) expand to about 10 towns
2) have barracks in each
3) produce nothing but horses/mounted warriors
4) win game long before jezus was around. Even on deity if the start position is reasonable. Bad deity starts or sid level may require different tactics.

of course there might be some details to it, you may want to build 1 or 2 spearmen to park on a mountain in enemy territory for example. You may want marketplaces when your conquest in well on its way but your running into happiness problems etc. But above 4 steps is the basis of a warmongerers civ3 game.

I would say horsemen are fairly handy to keep the pressure up on an enemy if some of your cities are distanced quite a bit, the nice thing about having them is that you can upgrade them in the middle ages to knights and then Cavalry, although after the industrial age they do become obsolete. For that reason I tend to avoid making a ton of horsemen since I like a game that goes into the Modern Age unless I try to win before the middle ages.

I would say horsemen are fairly handy to keep the pressure up on an enemy if some of your cities are distanced quite a bit, the nice thing about having them is that you can upgrade them in the middle ages to knights and then Cavalry, although after the industrial age they do become obsolete. For that reason I tend to avoid making a ton of horsemen since I like a game that goes into the Modern Age unless I try to win before the middle ages.

I disagree. My large amounts of left over cavalry I find very useful with Artillery, even against infantry if properly bombarded. Gran it i stop producing it but it takes some time to run out of say 25 cavalry with this. The make excellent early tanks. I normally have some left over by the time I have real tanks.

I disagree. My large amounts of left over cavalry I find very useful with Artillery, even against infantry if properly bombarded. Gran it i stop producing it but it takes some time to run out of say 25 cavalry with this. The make excellent early tanks. I normally have some left over by the time I have real tanks.

don't quite agree

artillery is better grouped with infantry. nothing is beating that defense, especially fortified on a hill or mountain while you bombard away

cavalry's strength is that 3 speed

no, it isn't that 6 attack, because they will struggle with muskets and get decimated by riflemen

they will run over spears and pikes, but if you're that far ahead, then the game is won

unless you're preying on the AI with no resources of course, in which case, fair play, on you go

grouping cavalry with your artillery stacks lessens their effectiveness, unless you're bombarding from 2 squares distant, in which case you can make it work

but it requires precise micro-management, because a cavalry out in the open is a dead cavalry

i'd still rather use infantry though. if i don't have infantry, then i'll use cavalry through necessity. using infantry is the slower and methodical way, but it's more or less unstoppable

to be honest though, you want to do have done your warring by the industrial age. either you've won the game, or are about to, by then

don't quite agree

artillery is better grouped with infantry. nothing is beating that defense, especially fortified on a hill or mountain while you bombard away

grouping cavalry with your artillery stacks lessens their effectiveness, unless you're bombarding from 2 squares distant, in which case you can make it work

but it requires precise micro-management, because a cavalry out in the open is a dead cavalry

i'd still rather use infantry though. if i don't have infantry, then i'll use cavalry through necessity. using infantry is the slower and methodical way, but it's more or less unstoppable

Sorry you misinterpreted me. I still use infantry. My cavalry just attack heavily weakened units from artillery. So they are still relevant. So I'm still take cities quickly and then using roads/railroads fortifying infantry on them. I still use infantry to attack cities. But I attack with cavalry as well. I normally enter the industrial ages with about 20-25 cavalry. They last me mostly up until tanks when I replace them. I stop producing them at all when I get infantry though. I just use whats left.

Sorry you misinterpreted me. I still use infantry. My cavalry just attack heavily weakened units from artillery. So they are still relevant. So I'm still take cities quickly and then using roads/railroads fortifying infantry on them. I still use infantry to attack cities. But I attack with cavalry as well. I normally enter the industrial ages with about 20-25 cavalry. They last me mostly up until tanks when I replace them. I stop producing them at all when I get infantry though. I just use whats left.

the problem with attacking with cavalry in the industrial age is that they have no chance against rifles and infantry fortified in cities and metros

they will only win if the defending unit is red-lined, but the problem with that is that cavalry move 3, infantry and artillery move 1

you are sacrificing the cavalry's speed for the same attack power as the infantry

cavalry have their place, they can clean up units in your borders which have been red-lined (due to artillery on railroads), they can kill a lone unit beside your stack then retreat to safety

but mostly, their place is running over the world that doesn't have muskets on defense

ditch them or keep them as border patrol in the industrial era

just attack entirely with infantry and artillery, or guerrilla and artillery, because it's the same attack power and bombard stacks don't rely on speed anyway

cavalry's greatest asset is that 3 speed. combine it with bombardment stacks, and you lose that asset

cavalry's greatest asset is that 3 speed. combine it with bombardment stacks, and you lose that asset

I don't combine it with bombardment stacks. I bombard, the use the speed to reach the city from 2 or more spaces away. If that's no possible then I use Infantry. I don't use them unless they are red lined.

Artillery can attack two spaces away. So I can attack with cavalry a turn early if enough artillery are present. Cavalry are still very viable in this case.

As I said 25 cavalry at the beginning will last me with a about 10 left over until tanks as long as I just don't through them away. I don't use them as the primary way to attack. They are support for my infantry.

Top Bottom