Horses

Sorry, about being a smartass here, but in history cavalry was divided in light (scout, kill fleeing enemies/archer) and heavy (shock troops to ride right into an enemy formation).

And heavy cavalry was very effective. The reason why I am adding this here is that I live in Switzerland, where they actually invented the pikemen (which was later adopted by the German Landsknechts, although the used a lot of two-handed swords thats why their icon is a sworn, rather than a pike) in the early Renaissance. In contrast to Civ this was actually after knights have been dominating battlefields for centuries.

No, don't worry about it at all. I rather be corrected than to go on thinking something wrong. I don't know much about military history, let alone cavalry and that's just what I got from reading the wikipedia page on it.

I like to have a couple of them to harass and weaken the enemy and to chase down wounded retreaters. Although If you are Morocco and have a desert kingdom, the Berber horseman are tank-like in their strength. :D

Perhaps it's not the units that are a problem, but rather the battles themselves? I mean, wars are more about taking cities than fighting in the field. Until the importance of city conquest is lessened, then ranged and siege will continue to be king.

I love to use horse troops for internal garrison defense. With their movement and on roads I can keep several of them stationed strategically and if trouble pops up near a city I can have three to four horse there that very turn. It lets you bring to bare a powerful force in all your cities without having to staff a lot of troops.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them get a small boost but recall that the real power of any army is its infantry, the city takers. Spear men should keep their mounted defense bonus in my opinion.

Top Bottom