How do i make units?????

James the Wise

Chieftain
Ive been reading these message boards for AGES but have only just got round to regestering (now that i have CivIII and everything).
I have to say i cant wait for a good mod to come out for CivIII, and "Ancient" seems to be the first guy to put a basic mod together so far. And the guy who made those wonder pics with the info there great.

Anyway, one thing i remember the CivIII team saying before the release of the game was that you would WOULD be able to make new units for CivIII and these would include Civ2 styled units that are just pics for the ppl who dont want the hastle or just cant do 3d animation + the said you would be able to make 3d units (CivIII style units).

I really want to know how to make either... but primaraly what program I would need to make 3d units + is it possible to add them at all? or have Firaxis told a big lie? I really want to know how to make either... but primaraly what program I would need to make 3d units + is it possible to add them at all? or have Firaxis told a big lie?

Thanx for the help:)
[plasma] :confused:

This has been beat to death already, but I'll cover the basics for you.

Civ 3 units are stored as FLIC animations; animations with a .flc extension. Each animation contains many frames of a civ doing a specific action in many different directions. Most civs have many different .flc files.

<b>Example</b>
The basic warrior has a .flc for: running, dying, fidgeting, fortifying, winning a battle (victory), and two attack .flc's

So, on the very basic level you need a program that can create and save and/or edit .flc files. There are a few out there, such as Jasc's Animation Shop (part of Paint Shop Pro 7) and Pro Motion.

BUT, here's the twist: Civ 3's .flc files contain special information in their header that, so far, no one outside of Firaxis has been able to duplicate. Apparently the Firaxians decided to use a CUSTOM flic program of some kind.

To make a long story short, it's impossible to create new units WITH YOUR OWN ANIMATIONS.

What you CAN do is use existing unit animations to make new units. For example: I use the existing horseman icon and animations to make a new unit called the General, which replaces the leader. It has attack and defense abilities and can also build an army.

SO, if you don't mind reusing existing animations and icons, go ahead! have a blast making new units. But until Firaxis helps us out (or someone comes up with a way to insert/modify/copy/create header information for .flc files) we are all SOL for creating brand new units.

In the future, check the thread before posting questions.

Thanx Zippo, i actually figured and found all of that out, just after i had made the post, except for the bit about Firaxis slightly changing it... thanx for the post,

BUT why the HELL did Firaxis state before Civ3 came out, that we WOULD be able to make both 3d and none 3d units for Civ3, and then they go and especially change the unit files so we CANT edit them WHAT TWATS............ I cant believe what stuff these guys get away with...

OH YEA AND THANX FOR THE GREAT EDITOR AND SCENARIO BUILDER FIRAXIS, I CAN EVEN MAKE THE ENGLISH START IN ENGLAND, NOW HOW ABOUT THAT....

Vyan Votts Vere Are You...

Top Bottom