How do we FORCE gaming companies to start releasing FINISHED Games???

what the premise pines for is unattainable

movies used to have a short before they started. Gas attendants washed your windshield and filled your tires when you got gas

in the 50's look at the packaging, you would buy say an album and get a poster and a raccoon cap and a ring and a page of lyrics etc

in the 70's they had a bicycle in cereal boxes

when things start they always have them loaded

you did not have pay sites on the net. you could go anywhere - ( the places were not so many )

then they sell the biz, or get cheap, or whatever and the amount of content takes a nose dive

welcome to the club. vid games are just a new phenom- but suffer the same fate as everything else

the evidence is clear

double post

but as long as i am here

Call to Power had everthing under the sun and was a great game- until you figure out the AI

like every other game that is not multiplayer

inevitable

if you get a chance pick up Call to Power just to see space cities, sea cities, zepplin advertising like on blade runner
lawyers, missionaries, slavers, animated 3d battles in lines all in a blaze of cartoon coloring

oh yeah, the evidence is clear

1997~2001: golden age for strategy computer games.
After that they are just making Quake with better graphics, with the exception of Civ4 of course.

2010: death of strategy games.

Back to topics,
IMO, if we are willing to pay triple the price for a good staregy game (original + 2 expansions).

1997~2001: golden age for strategy computer games.
After that they are just making Quake with better graphics, with the exception of Civ4 of course.

2010: death of strategy games.

Back to topics,
IMO, if we are willing to pay triple the price for a good staregy game (original + 2 expansions).

Nah... I'd say the golden age lasted longer. Dune II from 1992 is still the best RTS along with Age of Empires II. The original Railroad Tycoon from 1990 is still the best one in the series. I would also consider the early Maxis games such as SimCity, SimFarm, SimAnt, SimEarth, SimLife etc. strategy games (that were also were educative). The first two Settlers game were really innovative as well. Just look at the list:

SimCity (1989)
Railroad Tycoon (1990)
Civilization (1991)
Dune II (1992)
SimCity 2000 (1993)
The Settlers (1993)
Colonization (1994)
Transport Tycoon (1994)
Warcraft (1994)
Command and Conquer (1995)
Warcraft II: (1995)
Settlers II (1996)
Civilization II (1996)
Command and Conquer: Red Alert (1996)
Age of Empires (1997)
Railroad Tycoon II (1998)
Age of Empires II (1999)
Alpha Centuari (1999)

Oh man... I wish that I could re-live that era. There was always something fun to play back then. And I'm sure that I'm forgetting a lot of other great games. But I think this can be applied to the entire industry. The last 10 years, something has happened to the gaming industry. I remember playing NHL 99 on playstation when it was new. It was so much fun. I guess it's simply the same when you get older, but I still believe that new games are a lot more shallow and focuses a lot more on graphics and sounds than on actual gameplay.

#1 Stop preordering games
#2 don't buy the game until your sure its at the point you consider finished
#3 profit

And one more quote. Here you have the solution. Your power is your money.

Best case scenario: Enough people will stop paying for unfinished games and companies will change their policy.
Worst case scenario: You'll save your money and won't get angry for paying for a half finished game.

Bad Bret that's a very good list to show how bad things have gotten.
Also, all those games were new ideas, the originals. Now we just get clones of those and a few other games.
If we stop buying the games though, wont they just stop making them at all for the PC? They'll just continue to shift to consoles only at an even more rapid rate.
I honestly can't remember the last AAA game I bought that I was really happy with and felt it was finished.

I do enjoy Civ5, but it sure is in an unfinished and untested state. I do have hope though that at the very least the modding community will fix it.
Most games don't have that on their side.

Nah... I'd say the golden age lasted longer. Dune II from 1992 is still the best RTS along with Age of Empires II. The original Railroad Tycoon from 1990 is still the best one in the series. I would also consider the early Maxis games such as SimCity, SimFarm, SimAnt, SimEarth, SimLife etc. strategy games (that were also were educative). The first two Settlers game were really innovative as well. Just look at the list:

SimCity (1989)
Railroad Tycoon (1990)
Civilization (1991)
Dune II (1992)
SimCity 2000 (1993)
The Settlers (1993)
Colonization (1994)
Transport Tycoon (1994)
Warcraft (1994)
Command and Conquer (1995)
Warcraft II: (1995)
Settlers II (1996)
Civilization II (1996)
Command and Conquer: Red Alert (1996)
Age of Empires (1997)
Railroad Tycoon II (1998)
Age of Empires II (1999)
Alpha Centuari (1999)

Oh man... I wish that I could re-live that era. There was always something fun to play back then. And I'm sure that I'm forgetting a lot of other great games. But I think this can be applied to the entire industry. The last 10 years, something has happened to the gaming industry. I remember playing NHL 99 on playstation when it was new. It was so much fun. I guess it's simply the same when you get older, but I still believe that new games are a lot more shallow and focuses a lot more on graphics and sounds than on actual gameplay.

Indeed. These days you pretty much have the FPS of the week, and the target audience has a really bad case of ADD. It used to be that when you bought a game, you were looking for entertainment that you could come back to again and again. Now the mentality is "play once, throw away, buy a new game". You even see that with civ5 with players wanting it only because "civ4 was released five years ago".

Yeah, preordering is the root of all evil...Don't buy into prerelease hype...reviews are not always accurate.

Civ V is a disappointment, but it was a valuable life lesson. Gaming companies are NEVER going to get my money this easy ever again...:nono:

Same man, last time I pre order something, last time I buy a civ title. Thank you Jon Schaffer for the lesson :)

I hear the US Democrats are looking for a cause to champion that will earn them some votes ;)

double post

but as long as i am here

Call to Power had everthing under the sun and was a great game- until you figure out the AI

like every other game that is not multiplayer

inevitable

if you get a chance pick up Call to Power just to see space cities, sea cities, zepplin advertising like on blade runner
lawyers, missionaries, slavers, animated 3d battles in lines all in a blaze of cartoon coloring

oh yeah, the evidence is clear

Is it still bearable to play after sinking your teeth into modern designs? I always watched my cousin play that game, but I never bought it, I think I was still playing Colonization at the time.

Never buy a game before the 2nd patch.. makes life easier.. However i did buy civ as soon as steam would let me but thats because I have every civ since call to power (should have got the disc version though) and civ has a strong backbone. The devs will fix the bugs and the things they miss or don't do the modders always do. :D

Never buy a EA game before 4th patch..

Never buy a game before the 2nd patch.. makes life easier.. However i did buy civ as soon as steam would let me but thats because I have every civ since call to power (should have got the disc version though) and civ has a strong backbone. The devs will fix the bugs and the things they miss or don't do the modders always do. :D

Never buy a EA game before 4th patch..
That's how they got me. I bought all their games under the label of Sid Meier's Civilization. Hell I even bought the Revolution for the Playstation 3, even though I knew it would be close to being horrible. But it seems to me now that I will take the same approach of precaution as to whether or not I want to buy another PC/console title that is going to be released in the future.

I advise that we all better not be that compulsive buyer of video games based on the brand's previous titles.

That's how they got me. I bought all their games under the label of Sid Meier's Civilization. Hell I even bought the Revolution for the Playstation 3, even though I knew it would be close to being horrible. But it seems to me now that I will take the same approach of precaution as to whether or not I want to buy another PC/console title that is going to be released in the future.

I advise that we all better not be that compulsive buyer of video games based on the brand's previous titles.

Totally agree. I'll be extremely wary from now on after getting burnt.

Firaxis and 2K Games totally blew any street cred they had.

Sid Meir as well. Thinking you can hire someone with as little experience as JS to pilot the illustrious Civilization franchise has proven disastrous.

Totally agree. I'll be extremely wary from now on after getting burnt.

Firaxis and 2K Games totally blew any street cred they had.

Sid Meir as well. Thinking you can hire someone with as little experience as JS to pilot the illustrious Civilization franchise has proven disastrous.

Well we all should have seen it from the very beginning when Sid, Brian Reynolds, and Jeff Briggs sold out to Take 2. And then the departure of Soren, which I think was the key player of what may be the end of this great game.

I think you just need a new attitude.

Software is a service, not a product. Get used to it.

Well we all should have seen it from the very beginning when Sid, Brian Reynolds, and Jeff Briggs sold out to Take 2. And then the departure of Soren, which I think was the key player of what may be the end of this great game.

Sad but true. Now Kael has departed for greener pastures as well. They just can't seem to hold on to talented people it seems.

I think you just need a new attitude.

Software is a service, not a product. Get used to it.

That's what the software companies want, but it's wrong. Software is a product. Unless you suddenly want to start renting every piece of software, which I don't see why anyone would want to do that (though I don't understand why anyone would want to rent cars either).

I keep thinking this exactly. Do any of these "gool ol' days" codgers by any chance have the unresolved bugs list for Master of Magic or Master of Orion 2 handy? Master of Magic is supposed to be such a great classic, but you can pretty much shove your thumb up your ass and build a bunch of high-man paladins. After that just give the keyboard to your 8 year old sister and watch her win the game. Beyond the Sword is a thousand years ahead of Master of X.

Same as it ever was. There is nothing new under the sun, and there were never any good old days. Period.

Right now it seems like it because Civ4+BTS+Mods is such an incredibly deep and complete experience, but as a rule there is no such thing as the good old days.

Not only that, how about the list of bugs from when Master of Magic was first released? To say nothing else of Elemental, it did very well as a spiritual successor in that department.

Note, however, that people still manage to have fun playing Master of Magic despite how it is still lacking in bugfixes and balance. People learned to love the game despite its flaws.

How do we FORCE gaming companies to start releasing FINISHED Games???

As someone who worships Nintendo I am offended by someone lumping in my LORD with the other false idols that infest this landscape, forcing our children into prostitution and feeding drugs to our seniors. Nintendo has and will always make the finest games on the market, past, present, and future.

It is because the other componies have denounced the Nintendo Seal of Quality, and followed in the devilish path of Sega, Sony, Halo, and Bobby Kotick! DLC and patches are to blame as the game author can simple mutter, "Why shall I finish a title now when I can sell it now and charge them latter for it!"

This Nintendo and those who follow her no neither of DLC or patches or games remain tried and true. Repent you fools and follow the true WORD, let the love of Myiamoto enter your hearts so you may be free!

Top Bottom