How do you counter the Camel Archer?

Rebel Fighter

Chieftain
Hello!

So recently, I played a multiplayer game where Arabia completely dominated everyone with his Camel Archers. I wondered to myself: "How do I counter this unit and the blitz tactic that it utilizes?"

I eventually thought of a few strategies myself (all in theory) that take place in the same era as when the Camel Archers are unlocked (Medieval). I'd like to know what you think of them. If you have any ideas of your own, please tell!

Spam Pikemen - Chance of success: Low
This is a barebones tactic that could work moderately well against a small army of Camel Archers but it has some severe flaws. Namely, Camel Archers can easily outmaneuver Pikemen. They are ranged too, which means they can damage Pikemen a lot before the Pikemen have a chance to fight back. Not to mention that a Pikeman has 16 :c5strength: (plus 50% bonus against mounted units) while a Camel Archer has 17.

If using Germany, spam Landsknechts - Chance of success: Moderate
This has a far better chance of working than simply spamming base Pikemen, but it still falls under the same flaws. The benefit, though, is that you'll have way more units to attack Arabia's Camel Archers with. Even against such a terrifying foe, the numbers can speak for themselves.

If using the Zulus, spam Impis - Chance of success: High
Everyone knows that Impis are very strong. They do a ranged attack before doing melee combat. But most importantly, if you build a few Ikandas (replaces Barracks), they become really powerful by getting the Buffalo Horns promotion. This gives them +1 :c5moves:, a 25% flank attack bonus, and a 10% defense against ranged attacks. It's the perfect combination to destroy some Camel Archers! The 10% defense against ranged attacks will help keep your units alive as they get bombarded by Camel Archers, the +1 :c5moves: will help you chase the enemy down, and the +25% flank bonus will ensure the kill. Overall, this is one of the best counters to Camel Archers in the game.

Spam Knights - Chance of success: Moderate
This is another barebones strategy although it is far more effective at combating fast moving targets than the Pikemen. The 20 :c5strength: and speed of the Knight will ensure you will both be able to reach the Camel Archers before they get away and do some good damage as well. However, Knights are only good on the offensive and they will be crippled on the defensive. They also require the Horse resource. Since you will most likely be defending yourself against the onslaught of Camel Archers rather than attacking in their borders, the Knights are mediocre at best.

If using Askia, spam Mandekalu Calvary - Chance of success: Moderate
These are basically the same as Knights only they don't have a penalty when attacking cities. If you ever happen to go on the offensive, the Mandekalu Calvary will give you a nice punch to help along.

If using Spain, spam Conquistadors - Chance of success: Moderate
These are actually worse than Knights when you need to spam them because they cost extra :c5production: to make. Still, they do have +2 sight which will help you spot the Camel Archers at a distance. They can also found cities and can attack enemy cities with no penalty, which will give you a nice offensive edge if the time arises.

If using Mongolia, spam Keshiks - Chance of success: High
This is probably one of the best counters to Camel Archers in the game because they are very similar to Camel Archers and work the same way. While they only have 15 :c5strength: compared to the Camel Archer's 17 and their :c5rangedstrength: is only 16 compared to the Camel Archer's whopping 21, they still do quite some damage. They gain XP faster, they move faster, they can attack cities without penalty and they get a bonus when near their special Great General, Khan, who not only moves just as fast as the Keshik (and provides 15% combat bonus) but also heals all adjacent units 15 HP per turn. If there is one unit the Camel Archer should fear, it's the Keshik.

If using Siam, spam Naresuan's Elephants - Chance of success: High
I think these units are one of the hidden gems in the game that rarely gets used. They have only 3 :c5moves: compared to the Camel Archer's 4. However, they have 25 :c5strength: (equivalent to the Lancer) compared to the Camel Archer's 17. Most importantly, they have a 50% bonus against mounted units. Also, they don't require the Horse resource! Can it get any better?

Thanks for reading and let me know your ideas! :)

Playing against AI, they are no danger for the simple reason that AI cannot utilize them. In multiplayer games, however, only Impis seem reasonable. The rest will work only if you spam a lot of suggested units, because you'll be taking heavy casualties and neither should you expect that camel archers will be the only type of units deployed on the battlefield.

Lancers work, but you'll lose quite a few of them. They're also rather late in the tech tree. Other than that any unit which has more than 2 movement points since you can then make it so you can at least push back the cavalry archers out of their LOS and make it hard for them to attack. Not the best tactic but it can grind them down. Longbowmen can be useful as well.

I'm not an MP player, but in my mind the more effective counter would be to attack the Arabian player before he gets to Camel Archers.

Another idea would be to sit behind your cities, although of course this allows him to do major damage to your trade and improvements. The Great Wall could be of great use if a defensive stance is workable.

Allying with another player in order to split his army would also be recommendable if possible... Don't let him pick you off one by one.

Naresuan's Elephants are awesome. Don't know what you're talking about there. Their only weakness is that they're poor at direct assaults at cities, which isn't really a weakness since you'll be using siege units for that anyway. They'll decimate even Pikemen, which is supposedly their counterunit.

These guys are essentially +1 movement Musketmen that come at Chivalry. The chief downside is the lack of Cover and defensive terrain bonuses (doesn't get +25%) on Rough terrain.

Top Bottom